Joe Biden The New President Thoughts So Far?

35 minutes ago, West 77 said:

If it wasn't through a family tragedy then Joe Biden would have most likely entered the race for the democratic nomination in 2016.  I think he would have been a better candidate than Hillary Clinton and been more likely to have beaten Trump then. 

My thoughts so far are that the situation with immigrants wanting to gain illegal entry into America has got worse because he is considered to be a soft touch compared to Trump. The decision to re join the Paris Climate Agreement is a bad one because unless China follows the same rules it puts America at  a  commercial disadvantage which was Trump's reason for withdrawing. The  Covid vaccine rollout seems to be working well in America but the groundwork was started under the Trump administration. 

My bold. 

Saw the news report to this piece from the BBC a week or so ago on BBC World News. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-56516332

The BBC reporter was on the Mexican side of the border, interviewing migrants massed there & their concensus is that  the message the migrants are now receiving & interpreting, especially as the Biden administration has changed policy on unaccompanied minors, is that the US now WANTS them & will welcome them all with open arms.  This has no doubt led to the large increase in numbers at the border, up on previous months. 

It's not unlike the problem Merkel caused mainland Europe a couple of years ago, by having an open door policy and clearly the US is causing problems for its southern neighbours from Mexico downwards by seemingly now encouraging migration & thus instigating mass migration from & through these countries to reach the US border.  Suddenly, the migrants become an increasing problem to these countries, especially Mexico. 

Of course the real fun starts when the US starts to try & tackle the numbers wanting entry & then starts to refuse them.  

Also strange that the Biden administration are denying journalists access to the facilities currently holding unaccompanied minors? 

Edited by Baron99

The BBC are doing a 3 partner on the Pandemic ,I think part 2  which might be on tonight deals with the US response.

Same people who made " Once upon a time in Iraq" a stunning documentry

21 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Re. immigration: The US is quite literally built on immigration, don't confuse the situation there with the situation here, for one the population density is completely different. Trump used immigration to divide and conquer, very successfully, Biden is not following that line which I think is good.

Re. the Paris agreement, China is actually running well ahead of the curve compared to the US, Trump left it because he ran an isolationist campaign. China's climate pathway is on target to be carbon neutral in 2060, under Trump all accordance with carbon neutrality was withdrawn, Biden is committed to it and resigned the Paris Convention with the target of 2050, which is ambitious, especially considering they are yet to start real measures. It will be difficult for them to wean drivers of 'gas' for example, considering how cheap petrol is in the US.

I think we're all aware America was built on immigration.  Don't confuse legal immigration with illegal immigration.  I agree that America has a bigger problem with illegal immigration than the UK.  However the UK still are not acting tough enough against those entering or attempting to enter the UK illegally.

China cannot be trusted and any statistics should be treated with a pinch of salt.  I agree petrol is much cheaper in America than the UK.

The US gas tax should go up been the same for the last 25 years at 18 cents to the gallon.

Would fund an overdue infrastructure push.

The US and EU as early industrialised countries are responsible for 4 times what China has emitted, we have a debt to pay .

12 hours ago, Fictional Pulp said:

Not overly bothered about what Biden does here on in - it will always be better than than the madness that was Donald trump.

wait until the lady in waiting gets her chance as soon as Biden steps down halfway through, roll on the next election in 4 years.

21 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

I wouldn’t like to say he’s boring but one thing’s for sure, he won’t have a 428 page thread on SF.

I'm not sure that was because Trump was interesting, it was because he was a racist moron who liked to be the centre of attention, even when he was making a total balls up of everything.

It's interesting that pro Trump posters are preoccupied with Biden leaving post early almost as if they have given up on trying to pin some irredeemable fault on him already.

I think Biden will see his full term out ,it's been his life's aim after a lifetime of public service to become President.

2 hours ago, sandeliukas said:

Better then trump for sure

we will see after the initial honeymoon period i am guessing most of America especially middle america will be regretting his election to power.

32 minutes ago, backintheroom said:

we will see after the initial honeymoon period i am guessing most of America especially middle america will be regretting his election to power.

why do you say that ?

2 minutes ago, The Joker said:

why do you say that ?

hes the soft touch for immigration, he wont restrain any unrest with any sort of authority as his vice will see to that, he is not a strong leader in fact very little to hear about anything hes done so far.