Joe Biden The New President Thoughts So Far?

One of his German Shepherds has a bite issue. 

The only posative thing to say about Joe Biden is at least he isn't Donald Trump

Too old and too late.

If he was the best of the bunch then God help America!

Edited by apelike

50 minutes ago, apelike said:

Too old and too late.

If he was the best of the bunch then God help America!

don't you think that's rather ageist?

he was probably the best of the alternatives available at the time.  

I do think it's nice that Donald has joined us to talk about his successor. Here is probably the only place on the internet he can post now. 

He's actually being a very reforming President which is surprising as he's a long term moderate 

I would assume he will be a one term leader so he's a man in a hurry.

Attends church every Sunday rather than golfing.

Has dealt with incredible tragedy in his life , an impressive person

Easter is the holiest religious holiday, go take a look at what Trump  posted out today.

The smallness of the man is epic

Edited by butlers

Also because of America's system the other party can get to veto your cabinet members.

I think Bidens picks have most been placed now apart from 1 .

Trump used a cutesy " acting secretary" way to get some of his picks in place as they were abysmal choices.

The vaccine roll out seems to be going better than hopes were  real scientists and experts now lead rather than a random set of Trump loyalists who pandered to his ignorance.

The long overdue reform of voting is in line, some practices are barely credible in a first world democracy.

Rejoined the 160 odd others country's in aiming to enact the Paris Accord .

The US was one if 4? rebels ,something like Somalia,N.Korea and another, under the previous  administration.

Edited by butlers

The Times reckons..

Joe Biden has busiest start to a presidency since Great Depression

That's from 21st Feb edition

Not overly bothered about what Biden does here on in - it will always be better than than the madness that was Donald trump.

2 hours ago, andyofborg said:

don't you think that's rather ageist?

No, and as an old git myself i think it a fair comment especially as he is now 78. He has tried twice before to become president so it seems it was just a lifetime goal to be achieved by him, and this was a case of third time lucky. He is nothing special and as you have said "he was probably the best of the alternatives available at the time," which does not say very much for him.  

12 minutes ago, West 77 said:

My thoughts so far are that the situation with immigrants wanting to gain illegal entry into America has got worse because he is considered to be a soft touch compared to Trump. The decision to re join the Paris Climate Agreement is a bad one because unless China follows the same rules it puts America at  a  commercial disadvantage which was Trump's reason for withdrawing. The  Covid vaccine rollout seems to be working well in America but the groundwork was started under the Trump administration. 

Re. immigration: The US is quite literally built on immigration, don't confuse the situation there with the situation here, for one the population density is completely different. Trump used immigration to divide and conquer, very successfully, Biden is not following that line which I think is good.

Re. the Paris agreement, China is actually running well ahead of the curve compared to the US, Trump left it because he ran an isolationist campaign. China's climate pathway is on target to be carbon neutral in 2060, under Trump all accordance with carbon neutrality was withdrawn, Biden is committed to it and resigned the Paris Convention with the target of 2050, which is ambitious, especially considering they are yet to start real measures. It will be difficult for them to wean drivers of 'gas' for example, considering how cheap petrol is in the US.

Trump actually wanted to lower the fuel efficiency standard for cars.

California said it would stick by the current standard and as the biggest economy in the US ,the big motor manufacturers sided with California.

There's lead in a lot of US cities water supply and it hardly surprisingly effects the poorer communitys ,Biden plans to eliminate that,the Trump Administration weakened the Clean Water Act.

Trump reckless response to the pandemic will have him marked out as one of the worse US Presidents on record.

35 minutes ago, West 77 said:

If it wasn't through a family tragedy then Joe Biden would have most likely entered the race for the democratic nomination in 2016.  I think he would have been a better candidate than Hillary Clinton and been more likely to have beaten Trump then. 

My thoughts so far are that the situation with immigrants wanting to gain illegal entry into America has got worse because he is considered to be a soft touch compared to Trump. The decision to re join the Paris Climate Agreement is a bad one because unless China follows the same rules it puts America at  a  commercial disadvantage which was Trump's reason for withdrawing. The  Covid vaccine rollout seems to be working well in America but the groundwork was started under the Trump administration. 

My bold. 

Saw the news report to this piece from the BBC a week or so ago on BBC World News. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-56516332

The BBC reporter was on the Mexican side of the border, interviewing migrants massed there & their concensus is that  the message the migrants are now receiving & interpreting, especially as the Biden administration has changed policy on unaccompanied minors, is that the US now WANTS them & will welcome them all with open arms.  This has no doubt led to the large increase in numbers at the border, up on previous months. 

It's not unlike the problem Merkel caused mainland Europe a couple of years ago, by having an open door policy and clearly the US is causing problems for its southern neighbours from Mexico downwards by seemingly now encouraging migration & thus instigating mass migration from & through these countries to reach the US border.  Suddenly, the migrants become an increasing problem to these countries, especially Mexico. 

Of course the real fun starts when the US starts to try & tackle the numbers wanting entry & then starts to refuse them.  

Also strange that the Biden administration are denying journalists access to the facilities currently holding unaccompanied minors? 

Edited by Baron99