Joe Biden The New President Thoughts So Far?

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

They will be built at Osborne's in Adelaide. If my memory is correct, Osborne's is part of BAe which as you should know, is a UK business. 

Edit; I forgot to add that Rolls Royce seem to be in the frame to produce the engines.

Good to know... sounds like Biden's pulled a blinder then.

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

They will be built at Osborne's in Adelaide. If my memory is correct, Osborne's is part of BAe which as you should know, is a UK business.

The profits of that may be booked to the UK, it won't create any British jobs though.

Edit; I forgot to add that Rolls Royce seem to be in the frame to produce the engines.

Rolls Royce are one of the potential suppliers of engines. They'll be up against stiff competition from US companies. It's too early to tell who will get the contracts for building them and anything else the Aussies will have to buy in.

Australia haven't been a captive market for UK products for a very long time, they'll have no automatic preference for choosing UK products over US ones due to our historical links. It's at best premature to claim this as a massive win for UK businesses yet.

@altus I certainly wasn't making any claims although I expect that you, like me, hope that it is a very profitable venture for the UK and that AUS get what they expect from the partnership too. It's much deeper than a few submarines. 

It's interesting to remember that BAe owns a significant proportion of the US defence industry too, such is the way of modern international business. No single nation can function without external collaboration.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Most likely at the time Australia didn't have the opportunity to order nuclear powered submarines.

How so? Brazil ordered one from the French under similar terms.

Word on the trade scuttlebutt is that the AUS subs will be the UK's Astute Class as they are designed and currently in production and are the ideal candidate for the job that AUS needs for the shallower waters they patrol, unlike the USA's Virginia Class.

Also, that the first couple might well be built in the UK at BAe's UK submarine yard currently building the Astutes for us.

Interesting times eh?

On 18/09/2021 at 20:24, The Joker said:

You think Biden's gonna start a war ?  He's  just pulled US troops out of Afghanistan

Name me the last Democrat president that didn't start a war? Either in name of the US, or in name of 'Peacekeeping'. Small clue, Obama (Libya), Clinton (Bosnia), Carter (Lebanon), Johnson (Vietnam), Truman (Korea), FDR (WW2), Wilson (Mexico). 

You will find that JFK didn't have time to declare on Vietnam. Not a great track record. 

On 19/09/2021 at 09:15, West 77 said:

Shouldn't they be rapidly thinking of a European Navy to help the French out by giving them the submarine contract?

No, although I'm sure some of the EU states (and others) will want to buy the unfinished subs at a discount, most likely candidates are Brazil and India. 

On 19/09/2021 at 11:02, hauxwell said:

Now France has lost the submarine contract and the UK has signed up to AUKUS. Will France blame the UK and send more boat people across the channel as punishment?

Excellent deflection sir, excellent. Completely pointless and typical of a very narrow worldview, but excellent deflection none-the-less. Just to be clear, the French aren't 'sending boats across'. 

23 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Name me the last Democrat president that didn't start a war? Either in name of the US, or in name of 'Peacekeeping'. Small clue, Obama (Libya), Clinton (Bosnia), Carter (Lebanon), Johnson (Vietnam), Truman (Korea), FDR (WW2), Wilson (Mexico). 

Could have sworn WW2 was started by the Austrian Corporal with the dodgy 'tache a couple of years before the USA joined in (thankfully).

On 20/09/2021 at 21:28, Longcol said:

Could have sworn WW2 was started by the Austrian Corporal with the dodgy 'tache a couple of years before the USA joined in (thankfully).

Fair point, yet the US was neutral towards Germany and Japan until Pearl Harbour. There was a decision to be made about joining the UK in the war against Germany and he decided to do so. 

12 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Fair point, yet the US was neutral towards Germany and Japan until Pearl Harbour. There was a decision to be made about joining the UK in the war against Germany and he decided to do so. 

The alternative would have been for the Red Army to take over Europe. 

Good job Joe Kennedy wasn’t the President of USA during the WW2, he was the  American ambassador in this country at the start of the war.  Churchill had to send him back to America.  

On 20/09/2021 at 21:00, tzijlstra said:

Excellent deflection sir, excellent. Completely pointless and typical of a very narrow worldview, but excellent deflection none-the-less. Just to be clear, the French aren't 'sending boats across'. 

I’m a she not a he, but it was off topic.

13 hours ago, Longcol said:

The alternative would have been for the Red Army to take over Europe. 

Wouldn't have happened if the Allies had decided so. The Red Army was in absolutely no position to take on the Axis without support from Britain and the USA and if they had stuck to the Molotov Von Ribbentrop agreement there would have been no Eastern Front for Britain and the USA to support. We really need to put to bed this modern revisionist idea that the Red Army won WW2 for us. If only it were as simple as this weird generation of self-loathers' imagination fantasise about. 

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

To be fair the US weren't really neutral before Pearl Harbor and set up a lend lease program for military equipment. The US  officially stayed out of the second world war initially because the American people didn't want their country to get involved in another war caused in Europe.  After Pearl Harbor the US only declared war on Japan.  It was Germany who declared war on the US after the US declared war on Japan.

And they were handsomely rewarded for selling us military equipment. We only finished paying for it in the 1990's. 

Is that any different to us selling weapons to anyone who wants them round the world?

There's also a case for regarding Pearl Harbour as a false flag, but I wouldn't want to divert the thread on that one.

Edited by Anna B