Joe Biden The New President Thoughts So Far?

The announcement of AUKUS will go down well with the redneck jingoists, but it isolates the US further. If a US citizen I would have voted for Biden, only because I truly believe Trump is even worse, but I always knew that Biden wouldn't be 'the solution'. He is demonstrating that perfectly. 

Obama wasn't perfect, far from it in fact, but how do I long for a return...

16 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

The announcement of AUKUS will go down well with the redneck jingoists, but it isolates the US further. If a US citizen I would have voted for Biden, only because I truly believe Trump is even worse, but I always knew that Biden wouldn't be 'the solution'. He is demonstrating that perfectly. 

Obama wasn't perfect, far from it in fact, but how do I long for a return...

Exactly - pretty much everyone knew Biden wasn't ideal, but he was better than the alternative....

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

It's good news the French have got the hump. French diplomats in Washington through their toys  out of the pram and cancelled a gala.

They'll be asking for the Statue of Liberty back. 

On 17/09/2021 at 09:52, West 77 said:

It's good news the French have got the hump. French diplomats in Washington through their toys  out of the pram and cancelled a gala.

It is excellent news. For the French and the wider EU. European Heads of State are rapidly re-thinking the idea of a European Army, abandoned by the UK and US it is time that Europe creates its own power. In the mean time it won't be long before we see British kids die for the flag of Freedom, again.

47 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

It is excellent news. For the French and the wider EU. European Heads of State are rapidly re-thinking the idea of a European Army, abandoned by the UK and US it is time that Europe creates its own power. In the mean time it won't be long before we see British kids die for the flag of Freedom, again.

You think Biden's gonna start a war ?  He's  just pulled US troops out of Afghanistan

Edited by The Joker

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

You think Biden's gonna start a war ?  He's  just pulled US troops out of Afghanistan

He wouldn't have to start one for them to become involved.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Shouldn't they be rapidly thinking of a European Navy to help the French out by giving them the submarine contract?

I wonder how many millions will be lost due to the failed contract which was signed in 2019? I am not surprised that they are fuming.

On 11 Februarym 2019, Naval Group (ex-DCNS) sealed the deal to build the Royal Australian Navy’s next-generation submarines by signing a Strategic Partnering Agreement in Canberra with the Commonwealth of Australia. When the initial design contract was announced in April 2016, it was quickly dubbed ‘the contract of the century’.

The agreement, which will govern relations between the parties for the duration of the Future Submarine program, was signed in the presence of prime minister Scott Morrison, minister for defence Christopher Pyne, and Florence Parly, the French minister for the armed forces.

https://en.meretmarine.com/naval-group-signs-build-australian-subs/203763

Now France has lost the submarine contract and the UK has signed up to AUKUS. Will France blame the UK and send more boat people across the channel as punishment?

3 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It makes sense for Australia to cancel the French contract in light of a better arrangement on offer.  I'm happy to see more cooperation between important English speaking nations and President Biden deserves credit for this policy.

Its a bussiness contract, it doesnt matter what their native language is.

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It makes sense for Australia to cancel the French contract in light of a better arrangement on offer.

The devil is in the detail, the boats were to be built in Australia using locally sourced, where possible, materials... creating 1000's of jobs...

...can't imagine that will be the case with the US deal.

Might not play as well to the domestic audience.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

The submarines under the French deal wouldn't have been nuclear powered submarines which can move at much higher speed.

Australia didn't order nuclear powered submarines, if they had they would have been :?

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

When the opportunity arose for Australia to be in a  security pact with the UK and US then it was a no brainer for them to cancel the French deal.

Perhaps, we'll see. There are many reasons this could go south, for the UK and Australia.

4 hours ago, Magilla said:

The devil is in the detail, the boats were to be built in Australia using locally sourced, where possible, materials... creating 1000's of jobs...

...can't imagine that will be the case with the US deal.

Might not play as well to the domestic audience.

They will be built at Osborne's in Adelaide. If my memory is correct, Osborne's is part of BAe which as you should know, is a UK business. 

Edit; I forgot to add that Rolls Royce seem to be in the frame to produce the engines.

Edited by Tony