Joe Biden The New President Thoughts So Far?

The economy is certainly not in good shape..it's been deformed by funnelling ever more money to the top 1 percent over the last 3 decades.

The weath a a tiny tiny few has increased by $650 billion over the last year .

A billion is an obscene amount of money.

Interestingly Jeff Bezos has backed Biden plan of an increase in corperate taxation for infrastructure funding.

4 minutes ago, butlers said:

Interestingly Jeff Bezos has backed Biden plan of an increase in corperate taxation for infrastructure funding.

That would be interesting.

Do you have a link?

Bezos' company has been described as being little more than a highly efficient tax-avoiding engine due to its aggressive use of loopholes, so I'll believe Bezos' wants to contribute more tax when it happens.

Yeah me too,  think 8 or so huge corps like Amazon ,Delta,  paid zero federal income tax in last few years.

12 minutes ago, butlers said:

Yeah me too,  think 8 or so huge corps like Amazon ,Delta,  paid zero federal income tax in last few years.

Is that Delta airlines?  I can imagine they, like all other airlines, have had a very difficult year

Was just something that rocked up in my Twitter feed.

Have a feeling it covered multiple years.

If Biden lacks Trump's business skills , the reverse is unquestionably true.

5 hours ago, West 77 said:

Trump was notorious for using his business skills to find the right people to get projects done under budget. 

Yeah... he doesn't pay 'em, or they end up in prison! :P

Edited by Magilla

On 04/04/2021 at 16:44, the_bloke said:

He's just got to tickle along doing what he is told by his advisors until he can step down mid term claiming a medical condition so Kamala Harris can take over. 

And here am I thinking that I was the only one that  thought that . Glad to see I am not alone 

3 hours ago, butlers said:

I've found a message from Jeff and a link to the story:

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/policy-news-views/a-message-from-jeff-bezos

Amazon founder and CEO shares a statement in support of investment in American infrastructure.

"We support the Biden Administration’s focus on making bold investments in American infrastructure. Both Democrats and Republicans have supported infrastructure in the past, and it’s the right time to work together to make this happen. We recognize this investment will require concessions from all sides—both on the specifics of what’s included as well as how it gets paid for (we’re supportive of a rise in the corporate tax rate). We look forward to Congress and the Administration coming together to find the right, balanced solution that maintains or enhances U.S. competitiveness."

- Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO, Amazon

https://www.theregister.com/2021/04/07/bezos_amazon_backs_us_tax_increases/

Jeff Bezos supports US tax rise after not paying it for two years – and paying tiny amount in 2019

Expresses fondness for Biden administration infrastructure plan that would help parcels be delivered faster and boost broadband speeds

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos has said he supports increasing corporate tax rates after receiving criticism, yet again, from US President Joe Biden.

The reference to the Biden administration's infrastructure plans doesn't mention that the President plans to find some of his planned $2 trillion by increasing corporate tax rates from 21 to 28 per cent.

A rate of 28 per cent would place US corporate tax halfway between current rates and the pre-2017 rate of 35 per cent. To prevent multinationals from simply fleeing to tax havens, Biden has also advocated increasing the global minimum tax to 21 per cent.

The infrastructure plan allocates $621bn into transportation including bridges, roads, airports and ports, plus billions to improve broadband. Amazon stands to benefit considerably from such measures.

Biden has long been critical of Bezos's conglomerate on matters such as unions, which Amazon vehemently opposes, and taxes, which Amazon seemingly now accepts must rise.

Amazon paid exactly zero dollars in federal taxes in 2017 and 2018, thanks to use of legitimate deductions that allowed it to reduce its liabilities. Changing the rate of company tax would therefore not necessarily mean Amazon pays more, although in 2019 the company paid $162m of federal income taxes on $13.9bn pre-tax income revenue, deferring $914m. The tax it has paid accounts for 1.2 per cent of 2019 pre-tax income, a far lower rate than most workers or corporations ever pay.

I've read that Biden is actively trying to secure agreement for a global minimum corporation tax rate. If he pulls that off, it will be one of the most progressive achievements of any politician in recent times.

Also 500,000 more people have signed up to the ACA and now have health insurance.

Biden has also reinstated $200 million in aid to the Palastinians that the Trump admin cut.