Sheffield Hallam University Hoarding - Outrage(!)

Who gives a ****?

9 minutes ago, Hook said:

Who gives a ****?

are you always so sensitive to the views of others?

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Who gives a ****?

Many people do care about standards.

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

Because using obscene language , written or spoken , in a public place where people of all ages and groups see and hear it is not acceptable and by a university using such an advert sends out a message that it is acceptable,

There’s no obscene language being used as such  - there’s two paragraphs of writing about helping disadvantaged young people and a picture of a smiling person. 

if you look really hard you can make out 4 Tiny letters on a baseball cap which form a swear word.

it’s not ideal - it certainly wouldn’t have been intentional - but what is there to be offended about?

1 minute ago, Fictional Pulp said:

There’s no obscene language being used as such  - there’s two paragraphs of writing about helping disadvantaged young people and a picture of a smiling person. 

if you look really hard you can make out 4 Tiny letters on a baseball cap which form a swear word.

it’s not ideal - it certainly wouldn’t have been intentional - but what is there to be offended about?

Is offensive the right word? You wouldn't want it kids tv programmes and equally you wouldn't want it on homes under the hammer or what ever old people watch - they don't like the word. It offends them.

24 minutes ago, Fictional Pulp said:

The advert which represents the university  will have been approved for posting in a public place.

The use of using such language in this context influences peoples views on the university's values, standards.

Edited by harvey19

47 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Is offensive the right word? You wouldn't want it kids tv programmes and equally you wouldn't want it on homes under the hammer or what ever old people watch - they don't like the word. It offends them.

I understand the idea about people being offended by swearing in certain contexts, I understand why people would not expect to see it on uni adverts.

the fact is it’s obviously there by accident, it’s by no means prominent on the poster-you have to look for it. It’s not directed at anyone.

why would anyone be offended by it?

It is hopefully not there by accident as the advert will have had to be approved, or it is a lack of attention to detail.

Edited by harvey19

Ha

12 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

It is hopefully not there by accident as the advert will have had to be approved, or it is a lack of attention to detail.

You would be surprised how easy it is for something like this to be missed. I believe It may well have been accidental .  I have seen similar on many occasions some have been spotted beforehand but many a one has slipped through unnoticed until a member of the public spots it. They may well have spent ages on selecting the model and which type hat he should wear without even thinking about the badges.

Indeed if it has been there for a year as suggested then it is not exactly obvious.

The hoarding has been there for nigh on 2 years - no-one was 'shocked' because no-one saw it. Now the Star create a clickbait headline & a few people are clutching their pearls.

I'll let you into a secret - Outraged of Batemoor doesn't exist. Outraged of Batemoor is just a vehicle to carry a story of mock horror - it's common practice.

I used to work for a large PR firm - we did this kind of thing all the time - usually to give interns experience. You'll note that there is only 1 outraged 'entity', not hordes of them.

Now I'm not saying that some people aren't happy with the 4 letter word in question - or its ilk - but they've had to have the 'outrage' pointed out to them. It's a classic media / PR set up.

How does it help them? Well we've all clicked the news item - increased clicks helps sell advertising. Imagine you're selling advertising space in a newspaper or some such, which one sounds better to a client: "We've had 4 visits to our website today" or "We've had 4000 visits to our website today".

As Public Enemy said "Don't believe the hype"

Sensationalism sells papers !

2 hours ago, MJ01 said:

The hoarding has been there for nigh on 2 years - no-one was 'shocked' because no-one saw it. Now the Star create a clickbait headline & a few people are clutching their pearls.

I'll let you into a secret - Outraged of Batemoor doesn't exist. Outraged of Batemoor is just a vehicle to carry a story of mock horror - it's common practice.

I used to work for a large PR firm - we did this kind of thing all the time - usually to give interns experience. You'll note that there is only 1 outraged 'entity', not hordes of them.

Now I'm not saying that some people aren't happy with the 4 letter word in question - or its ilk - but they've had to have the 'outrage' pointed out to them. It's a classic media / PR set up.

How does it help them? Well we've all clicked the news item - increased clicks helps sell advertising. Imagine you're selling advertising space in a newspaper or some such, which one sounds better to a client: "We've had 4 visits to our website today" or "We've had 4000 visits to our website today".

As Public Enemy said "Don't believe the hype"

Absolutely agree.

Sheffield Star and all similar regional rags are notorious for creating stories out of thin air just to drive their advertising traction.

Edited by ECCOnoob