May 6th 2021 Elections

On 09/04/2021 at 18:25, jgharston said:

Usual candidate and election data: Election/2021

Thankyou for that, but it rather emphasises my point: a simple list of names means almost nothing. 

I'd like to know more about the candidates before I give them my vote. The flyers through the door are not much better, and if you live in a safe seat, you don't even get these.

In effect this is a job application, and should require the same careful considerations of the pros and cons to get the right people. I think people should take voting more seriously, and be demanding of easy access to this kind of information, especially if the committee model comes into being. The people we vote into power should be of the highest calibre and worthy of their position.

Anna - you are talking of politicians here, and these days the main (only?) qualification is to be thick enough to follow the party line - whichever side you're on.

23 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Anna - you are talking of politicians here, and these days the main (only?) qualification is to be thick enough to follow the party line - whichever side you're on.

Ah, but that might change with the 'committee' model if it's accepted in the referendum. That's the point of it, because for too long Labour has been a closed shop.

All parties will then have a say in all decisions.

There will be different points of view certainly, and the winners will be the one's who can justify their argument with sound logic and good reasons for implementation.

Sorry, I think you are living in cloud-cuckoo land - the 'committees' will be formed on the proportions of the parties overall majorities (AIUI), so in the case of Sheffield, they will be stuffed with Labour members.

Correct me if I've misread the intentions, please.

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Sorry, I think you are living in cloud-cuckoo land - the 'committees' will be formed on the proportions of the parties overall majorities (AIUI), so in the case of Sheffield, they will be stuffed with Labour members.

I agree, nothing will change.

I have a greater chance of becoming involved because I am a union member. But I am sure I will be cast aside if I am too off-message.

Just now, El Cid said:

I agree, nothing will change.

I have a greater chance of becoming involved because I am a union member. But I am sure I will be cast aside if I am too off-message.

Thanks, @ElCid - thought I had read the proposals correctly.

Out of curiosity, how would your union membership affect your chances? - I thought the 'committees' were formed of councillors?

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

According to what I've read in Wikipedia Labour currently have 13 seats, Lib Dems 11, and Greens 4, so it's all to play for. If that was reflected in decision making it would make a difference.

Edited by Anna B

Great variety of opinion there, then. 🙂

Guest sibon
9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Great variety of opinion there, then. 🙂

Do you have a problem with democracy?

13 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Thanks, @ElCid - thought I had read the proposals correctly.

Out of curiosity, how would your union membership affect your chances? - I thought the 'committees' were formed of councillors?

It is just an assumption. My Labour party membership is half price because I am a member of a union. They do both work together.

As an individual, I object to union subs going to just Labour. I am sure union members have a range of views, although few would support an anti-union Tory party.

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

Do you have a problem with democracy?

No - but none of those parties particularly represent me, or my views.

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It is just an assumption. My Labour party membership is half price because I am a member of a union. They do both work together.

As an individual, I object to union subs going to just Labour. I am sure union members have a range of views, although few would support an anti-union Tory party.

OK  - I understand. Although I was Branch Secretary for about 18 months many years ago, I didn't pay the Party levy, and all I got out of it was a load of extra paperwork and a wasted weekend in Scarborough. 🙂