May 6th 2021 Elections

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

I read this week that the role of the Police and Crime Commissioner had been scrapped and the work will be done by by the newly elected Mayor.

Interesting - source?

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Interesting - source?

Read edit

Thanks - you edited while I was asking the question, and the page turned at my post, so I didn't see the edit.

The SY PCC post has not (yet) been scrapped.
It will still be an item on this May's election.

What changes in the future is anybody's guess.

5 minutes ago, enntee said:

The SY PCC post has not (yet) been scrapped.
It will still be an item on this May's election.

What changes in the future is anybody's guess.

Mores the pity - whoever thought this non-job up should be sacked - IMO

Guest makapaka
10 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Mores the pity - whoever thought this non-job up should be sacked - IMO

Totally agree - waste of time and money.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Also totally agree.  It's the only thing I've never bothered to vote on.  Not even worth a spoilt ballot paper. 

P. S.  Good to see you posting again, Makapaka.  It seems ages since you've been on SF.  

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, makapaka said:

There is a place for someone to oversee the police. Goodness knows they clearly need holding to account.

I’d have thought that the elected council would be ideal to do that job though.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Also totally agree.  It's the only thing I've never bothered to vote on.  Not even worth a spoilt ballot paper. 

P. S.  Good to see you posting again, Makapaka.  It seems ages since you've been on SF.  

Thanks - nice to be back. 

On 07/04/2021 at 12:30, nightrider said:

Some of the labour councillors are fruitcakes though! Just look at one of the Walkley representatives who has used fake social media accounts to bully people for example....

The official SCC documentation says that irrespective of what people vote for they will implement a "committee system". The problem is their system would not have any power.....but its clear the idea is to confuse voters to they vote to keep the current system on the grounds a "committee system" will be added anyway. Appalling behaviour to be honest. Other countries have laws about referendum material being clear, factual and impartial. We need that in this country too if we are going to keep having referendums.

I agree, but sadly it doesn't surprise me. The council doesn't want to lose its stranglehold that allows it carte blanche to do what it wants come what may, which us why we need an alternative system. It's not as if the council has a good reputation, rather the opposite, it's a joke, what with the tree debacle etc. which is why the IOU have been fighting so hard for change. 

We also have a new CEO of Sheffield City Council replacing, John Mothersole.

Kate Josephs was appointed in January, and comes with an excellent CV. She seems to be very forward looking and innovative, and I'm sure will bring a new approach, heaven knows we need it. 

Let's hope she can put Sheffield on the map at last. 

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/sheffield-councils-new-chief-executive-kate-josephs-wants-city-finally-start-punching-its-weight-3132775 

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I agree, but sadly it doesn't surprise me. The council doesn't want to lose its stranglehold that allows it carte blanche to do what it wants come what may, which us why we need an alternative system. It's not as if the council has a good reputation, rather the opposite, it's a joke, what with the tree debacle etc. which is why the IOU have been fighting so hard for change. 

We also have a new CEO of Sheffield City Council replacing, John Mothersole.

Kate Josephs was appointed in January, and comes with an excellent CV. She seems to be very forward looking and innovative, and I'm sure will bring a new approach, heaven knows we need it. 

Let's hope she can put Sheffield on the map at last. 

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/sheffield-councils-new-chief-executive-kate-josephs-wants-city-finally-start-punching-its-weight-3132775 

I for one was more than a little shocked that Council policy is only decided by a small cartel of half a dozen councilors.

A "strong council model" would perhaps be a good idea if the "strong council" members had any idea of what they are doing.

However on my sole trip to the Council to help argue for a crossing on Hangingwater Road....I did not see much evidence of any ability beside irrelevant political gestures (e.g. arguing over the Council's position on Kashmir) and toeing the party line.

Have any of these people had proper jobs before deciding to go into politics?

Sheffield Council are very long overdue for a shakeup and therefore I will be voting for the option (I believe it is the committee model option) that gives my elected councilor a voice in the Council.

I suspect I will not be the only one voting for some change.

And honestly, I do not care whether the council makeup remains the same (Labour in the majority) or not.

I only care that local people have some say in how our council is run via their elected councilor...rather than the current system which seems to perpetuate the same faces in the same jobs making the same stupid decisions...a textbook example of Groupthink.

2 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

I for one was more than a little shocked that Council policy is only decided by a small cartel of half a dozen councilors.

A "strong council model" would perhaps be a good idea if the "strong council" members had any idea of what they are doing.

However on my sole trip to the Council to help argue for a crossing on Hangingwater Road....I did not see much evidence of any ability beside irrelevant political gestures (e.g. arguing over the Council's position on Kashmir) and toeing the party line.

Have any of these people had proper jobs before deciding to go into politics?

Sheffield Council are very long overdue for a shakeup and therefore I will be voting for the option (I believe it is the committee model option) that gives my elected councilor a voice in the Council.

I suspect I will not be the only one voting for some change.

And honestly, I do not care whether the council makeup remains the same (Labour in the majority) or not.

I only care that local people have some say in how our council is run via their elected councilor...rather than the current system which seems to perpetuate the same faces in the same jobs making the same stupid decisions...a textbook example of Groupthink.

Do you not mean 'a textbook example of Don'tthink'?