May 6th 2021 Elections

24 minutes ago, apelike said:

So it's a relative deprivation score similar in nature to the relative poor score and not an absolute score so it's a bit meaningless but that the Guardian for you. All the score means is that some places rank higher or lower than others but it does not mean that they are necessarily a great deal more deprived.

The poor areas are better off than Delhi slums so it's OK instead to give money to well off areas that just happen to vote Tory isn't a very convincing argument.

11 hours ago, alchresearch said:

All I've seen from Labour of late is just constant attacks on Boris.  Perfectly fair, but tiresome - we all know what an odious man he is and what he's done. 

I'd much rather hear how they'd fix things or do things better instead of "Vote Labour, we won't blow money on expensive wallpaper".

Angela Rayner is the worst for her hate and spite, particularly with Hartlepool.  She's a terrible Deputy Leader and needs to step down ASAP.  She should have gone after the "Tory scum" incident.  I don't expect that from a Deputy Leader.  Well, maybe from Prescott.

Agree with your comment about Rayner , fed up of seeing her sneering face . 

7 minutes ago, altus said:

The poor areas are better off than Delhi slums so it's OK instead to give money to well off areas that just happen to vote Tory isn't a very convincing argument.

But they are not though are they. As far as I can tell the money given out is going to the more deprived areas in need which does not necessarily mean it follows the relative deprivation score.

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, apelike said:

But they are not though are they. As far as I can tell the money given out is going to the more deprived areas in need which does not necessarily mean it follows the relative deprivation score.

How many are Tory and how many are Labour?

14 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

Tory magazine the Spectator puts the Tories' ascendancy in England down to their being 'a bit to the Left on economics, a bit to the Right on culture'.

In other words, their offering is basically the same as that of the BNP, back in the day.

If the Spectator classes the Tories economics as a "bit to the left" - 10 years plus of austerity, contracts for the chums etc - then I wonder what on earth it thinks that economics "a bit to the right" are.............................

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

If the Spectator classes the Tories economics as a "bit to the left" - 10 years plus of austerity, contracts for the chums etc - then I wonder what on earth it thinks that economics "a bit to the right" are.............................

Furlough. There are sections of the conservatives who'd have pulled that ladder up in may last year.

4 hours ago, nightrider said:

I meant that the tories are who the working class vote for nowadays, not that tory party members are working class. Most of the current cabinet are extremely wealthy!

60% of the population are working class, they vote for various partys, as they did in Thatchers day.

On 12/04/2021 at 22:23, Anna B said:

The difference is, and it's a big difference, Corbyn was all about making things better for the ordinary people in this country.

He's the only one that was. 

And he could be trusted to try his best to do it, without all the lies and hidden agendas. He was dead straight, and would have done whatever was best for the people and the country. If that had meant sharing power in a PR system he would have done that too if it was what people wanted. He was without personal ego.

Sadly Starmer is back to the same old same old, and will make no more difference to the Tory neoliberal agenda than Tony Blair did.

Starmer is just another Tony Blair, but minus the brains and the charisma. So expect to be lied to on a daily basis. Expect corruption of an unbelievable level, and expect the gap between rich and poor to widen exponentially until we are like a third world country and all needing foodbanks or homeless.   

Starmer is clueless and classless. He seems to be pulled all over according to the latest fads trends and developments his advisors say will woo the electorate. He's locked into the Conservative and Right Wing media driven campaign of weaponising of anti-semitism to attack the left in his party and supporters of Jeremy Corbyn. He's suspending party members , CLP secretaries and even whole CLPs, eg West Ham and East Ham. Those people are the poor bloody infantry who knock on doors and leaflet their areas  to get voters out. I've always been one of those people but won't do it while this man is Leader.

What was he thinking of with this ridiculous stunt at John Lewis when he should be making political arguments ?

2 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Starmer is clueless and classless. He seems to be pulled all over according to the latest fads trends and developments his advisors say will woo the electorate. He's locked into the Conservative and Right Wing media driven campaign of weaponising of anti-semitism to attack the left in his party and supporters of Jeremy Corbyn. He's suspending party members , CLP secretaries and even whole CLPs, eg West Ham and East Ham. Those people are the poor bloody infantry who knock on doors and leaflet their areas  to get voters out. I've always been one of those people but won't do it while this man is Leader.

What was he thinking of with this ridiculous stunt at John Lewis when he should be making political arguments ?

My bold. 

Stinging quote from one Lab MP in light of the Hartlepool defeat. 

Labour MP Khalid Mahmood has warning that the party has been taken over by “A London-based bourgeoisie, with the support of brigades of woke social media warriors”.

Could we have a definition of what he means by 'woke' please as he seems to be using it to insult a fair proportion of the electorate. It seems to mean different things to different people, so we ought to know what his definition is.

If he means the people who have woken up to the sleaze, corruption and machinations of politics in general and this government in particular, I think the 'keyboard warriors' have the right- if not the duty, to try and make others aware of it, especially the people 'who don't do politics,' and are innocents abroad in a world of plots and criminal deceptions.

But of course you will never hear any discourse discussing this on the media, they mean it as a lazy insult, meanwhile people are being gulled into taking things at face value, and in this world we live in that is a very dangerous position to take. Of course the politicians love nothing better than an uninformed voter who can have the wool pulled over their eyes, while they get on with feathering their own nests and that of their donors and cronies, and worse.

Wake up people.  

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Could we have a definition of what he means by 'woke' please as he seems to be using it to insult a fair proportion of the electorate. It seems to mean different things to different people, so we ought to know what his definition is.

If he means the people who have woken up to the sleaze, corruption and machinations of politics in general and this government in particular, I think the 'keyboard warriors' have the right- if not the duty, to try and make others aware of it, especially the people 'who don't do politics,' and are innocents abroad in a world of plots and criminal deceptions.

But of course you will never hear any discourse discussing this on the media, they mean it as a lazy insult, meanwhile people are being gulled into taking things at face value, and in this world we live in that is a very dangerous position to take. Of course the politicians love nothing better than an uninformed voter who can have the wool pulled over their eyes, while they get on with feathering their own nests and that of their donors and cronies, and worse.

Wake up people.  

I think that to be an insult in itself as most voters these days are well informed and understand what is going on. As usual it's those that don't like it when democracy fails to go there way that are the first to complain as we saw with Brexit. 

Now look at the local election results again and tell me people didn't know what they were voting for and had the wool pulled up over their eyes.

Edited by apelike

2 minutes ago, apelike said:

I think that to be an insult in itself as most voters these days are well informed and understand what is going on. As usual it's those that don't like it when democracy fails to go there way that are the first to complain as we saw with Brexit. 

Now look at the local elections again and tell me people didn't know what they were voting for and had the wool pulled up over their eyes.

Hhahahahahahahahah!

Have you spoke to a person?