May 6th 2021 Elections

On 06/04/2021 at 20:46, Anna B said:

"I'm hoping the days of voting for candidates based on their party affiliation will soon be over, and we will start voting for candidates on their experience and personal merits. I have long been advocating all candidates should submit a proper CV like a job application so we get a better picture of who we're voting for. At the moment it's just a leaflet of generic party blurb, and in 'safe' seats it's not even that. I'd also like to go back to the traditional hustings and public meetings."

Hi Anna,

This is one of the main reasons why we've created a new site for Sheffield, to try and address the lack of information out there about candidates. You can search by postcode, ward or party on https://whoismycouncillor.co.uk

Hope this is helpful! Please share with similarly frustrated voters 🙂

Eleanor - WimC

On 23/04/2021 at 10:08, Minimo said:

Am I alone in wanting to know a little more about each of the local election candidates? It is not enough to know which party they represent, I want to know something of their suitability for the position. Do they live in their ward, what experience of work etc have they had, what have they done previously for their community?  Try as I might, I can find almost nothing on any of them . How can one make an informed decision with so little information?

Hi Minimo,

Not alone! We've created a new site for Sheffield to try and address the lack of information out there about candidates. You can search by postcode, ward or party on https://whoismycouncillor.co.uk

Eleanor - WimC

On 22/04/2021 at 19:33, altus said:

Because they think you getting a personally addressed mass produced letter is going to make you think they actually care about you giving you a warm and fuzzy feeling that will make you vote for them. The idea that you might consider it an invasion of privacy and put you off voting for them doesn't enter their heads.

Not always strictly true.

We use personally addressed, targeted mail to people who have expressed a preference for a particular party who will be voting for the first time, for instance.

6 hours ago, WimCouncillor said:

Hi Anna,

This is one of the main reasons why we've created a new site for Sheffield, to try and address the lack of information out there about candidates. You can search by postcode, ward or party on https://whoismycouncillor.co.uk

Eleanor - WimC

Hi Minimo,

Not alone! We've created a new site for Sheffield to try and address the lack of information out there about candidates. You can search by postcode, ward or party on https://whoismycouncillor.co.uk

Eleanor - WimC

Hi there, I've just happened upon the link in the Sheffield section of the Forum and left a comment before I saw this. Thankyou so much, it's a big improvement on the usual lack of information, and I hope it will continue to develop and expand.

Let's hope it also engages more people in the democratic process and therefore benefits the quality of political debate and realisation in Sheffield.

Once again, good luck with it, and many thanks!

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

It's a big improvement on the usual lack of information, and I hope it will continue to develop and expand.

Let's hope it also engages more people in the democratic process and therefore benefits the quality of political debate and realisation in Sheffield.

Precisely!

and thank you 🙂

On a local level I always vote Labour, because the local Labour bloke seems like a nice enough chap, and he responds to my emails, like around this time last year I was in Town on a Saturday afternoon, when Wednesday were at Home against Millwall, the Millwall fans were well, misbehaving on the Tram from West St, as a disabled guy I felt a bit intimidated and removed myself from the Hillsborough bound Tram at West St coming from Meadowhall, this was compounded by the fact that because the Tram was so full, my carer didn't see me get off, and then my mobile died so I couldn't get hold of her or phone Home for a lift!

I asked the local Policeman who was at the Tram stop for help, and he was about as much use as a chocolate teapot and that's being kind, even though I had my green Lanyard on which tells everyone I'm disabled.

When I finally got Home I emailed Paul Blomfield MP, the local Labour guy about the lack of help from the Plod, and he says the Police aren't trained to recognise the green Lanyard, well they weren't at the time, he said he'd bring it up with local Police Chiefs anonymously and make sure it's acknowledged.

I'll spare y'all my long rant about the current inequality (IMO) of disability rights.

On 28/04/2021 at 10:57, Mr Allen said:

On a local level I always vote Labour, because the local Labour bloke seems like a nice enough chap, and he responds to my emails, like around this time last year I was in Town on a Saturday afternoon, when Wednesday were at Home against Millwall, the Millwall fans were well, misbehaving on the Tram from West St, as a disabled guy I felt a bit intimidated and removed myself from the Hillsborough bound Tram at West St coming from Meadowhall, this was compounded by the fact that because the Tram was so full, my carer didn't see me get off, and then my mobile died so I couldn't get hold of her or phone Home for a lift!

I asked the local Policeman who was at the Tram stop for help, and he was about as much use as a chocolate teapot and that's being kind, even though I had my green Lanyard on which tells everyone I'm disabled.

When I finally got Home I emailed Paul Blomfield MP, the local Labour guy about the lack of help from the Plod, and he says the Police aren't trained to recognise the green Lanyard, well they weren't at the time, he said he'd bring it up with local Police Chiefs anonymously and make sure it's acknowledged.

I'll spare y'all my long rant about the current inequality (IMO) of disability rights.

I didn't know about the green Lanyard either, so thanks for bringing it to people's attention, and for getting it across to Paul Blomfield. Hope he does what he's promised.

And yes, you're right about discrimination and inequalities regarding disabled people, (especially those with hidden disabilities,) The Conservatives are responsible for recent  legislation which makes their problems even worse.

So I've visited the "whoismycouncillor" site and all I can find is a list of candidates and their party. Nothing seems to tell me what they are about. I have only had one leaflet through the door and this is from a candidate who is alledgedy under investigation for something (not sure what), so I do not believe I have sufficient information to vote for any of the candidates and do not believe any of them have demonstrated enough to deserve a vote. I kind of understand the reforendum vote but have still had to actively search for info. If all areas are as devoid of information as I am, then I can only think the results will be based on party preference. 

Edited by drolnhoj

8 hours ago, drolnhoj said:

So I've visited the "whoismycouncillor" site and all I can find is a list of candidates and their party. Nothing seems to tell me what they are about. I have only had one leaflet through the door and this is from a candidate who is alledgedy under investigation for something (not sure what), so I do not believe I have sufficient information to vote for any of the candidates and do not believe any of them have demonstrated enough to deserve a vote. I kind of understand the reforendum vote but have still had to actively search for info. If all areas are as devoid of information as I am, then I can only think the results will be based on party preference. 

Click on the councillor who has completed the survey (indicated in top right hand corner, and more information will come up.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Click on the councillor who has completed the survey (indicated in top right hand corner, and more information will come up.

Thanks for that Anna. Unfortunately it looks like only two of the candidates in my area have bothered. 

Hmm, according to the website, my Ward's changed since last time? I put S3 and it's come up as Walkley? I thought I was in Sheffield Central?

My vote has changed this time after a lifetime of voting the same way. The candidate I’m voting for has earned my vote by not only responding to my concerns but by keeping me informed on the progress of my issue and detailing the actions they propose to take. The party I have always supported only provided me with a cursory response. I don’t know if either can get me the outcome I want but I know which one seems to be expending the most effort 

12 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

Hmm, according to the website, my Ward's changed since last time? I put S3 and it's come up as Walkley? I thought I was in Sheffield Central?

There was an earthquake a few days ago, maybe the tectonic movements have moved you a little further than you realised.