May 6th 2021 Elections

8 hours ago, apelike said:

Quite, something I have mentioned myself and the reason why I think local authorities should be politically neutral.

They cant be politically neutral though. 

There will always be choices about how much money to raise and how much to allocate across the services  and  the mix of public and private sector involvement of that provision and they will always essentially be political decisions. 

8 hours ago, El Cid said:

At local level and national, we have a first past the post voting system. Even if you manage to elect a Green, they will not control the council. If you are lucky you could get a coalision, but unlikely.

convince enough people to vote Green and they will control the council. 

7 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Well could the local Labour Party claim to be 'green' after the Amey tree felling debacle; having to admit their mistakes etc; misleading the electorate, etc?  Lying in layman's terms. 

I don't think so.  So there's one difference. 

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/watchdog-satisfied-sheffield-councils-response-damning-tree-felling-report-3120795

I won't be voting Labour in the local elections because of things like the tree debacle, the fact that they sent £15,000,000 back to the government that should have been spent on Business grants, (according to leafletting through the door) and basically are pretty useless. They have had it too easy for too long and take our support for granted. I'll be voting Lib Dem or Green.

However the big reason I'll be voting at all, is the extra Referendum question about how the council is run. I will be voting for a change. The committee system made up of elected councillors,  could make a big difference.

Well that's what I'm hoping, so it's important people realise it's happening so it doesn't take them by surprise. 

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I won't be voting Labour in the local elections because of things like the tree debacle, the fact that they sent £15,000,000 back to the government that should have been spent on Business grants, (according to leafletting through the door) and basically are pretty useless. They have had it too easy for too long and take our support for granted. I'll be voting Lib Dem or Green.

However the big reason I'll be voting at all, is the extra Referendum question about how the council is run. I will be voting for a change. The committee system made up of elected councillors,  could make a big difference.

Well that's what I'm hoping, so it's important people realise it's happening so it doesn't take them by surprise. 

My bold. 

Well, I too will be voting for committee system.  

Guest makapaka
10 hours ago, El Cid said:

At local level and national, we have a first past the post voting system. Even if you manage to elect a Green, they will not control the council. If you are lucky you could get a coalision, but unlikely.

I think they’re capable of doing well at council level and potentially controlling - we had the Lib Dem’s once!

also - I think the things I’m interested in in my council ward would be better acknowledged by a green councillor.

needs a shake up.

9 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Me too

On 16/04/2021 at 22:30, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Good. But I do fear there will be a sizable number of voters who, when confronted by a question they weren't expecting and don't understand, will vote for the status quo as the default setting.

I feel there hasn't been enough publicity explaining it, (and a lot of people put any literature that comes through the door straight in the bin.)

I'd like to know if people in safe seats have received much in the way of information about it?  

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

Good. But I do fear there will be a sizable number of voters who, when confronted by a question they weren't expecting and don't understand, will vote for the status quo as the default setting.

I feel there hasn't been enough publicity explaining it, (and a lot of people put any literature that comes through the door straight in the bin.)

I'd like to know if people in safe seats have received much in the way of information about it?  

I had a phone call a few days ago from someone claiming to be from the group campaigning for the change.  I presume they are calling other people so the message is getting out there. 

I've worked in local authorities under committees and cabinet set ups, and the largest party ultimately has the say regardless.  Committees works best, IMO, where there is no one party with a large majority. 

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the recent change in leadership. (Apologies if I missed anything)  We have had the 'Strong Leader' model, but without a strong leader!

I have no affiliation to any party, I've rarely voted Labour, but in this ward, the Labour councillor up for election is the new leader Bob Johnson.  I think the Greens will have made inroads into Labour's majority here, they have been very proactive.  However, I am likely to vote Labour this time, because I believe we will see more real community engagement under his watch than there ever was under Ms Dore.   I'm prepared to be proved wrong, but if people really want to see changes in their community and the wider city, then they need to be involved.  

Odd that the more vocal grumblers rarely, if ever, actually put their names down to stand as Independents.

All that's needed is the appropriate forms and ten signatures (= 2 proposers + 8 assentors).

No deposit payable in Local Elections, either: only for Parliament.

9 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Odd that the more vocal grumblers rarely, if ever, actually put their names down to stand as Independents.

All that's needed is the appropriate forms and ten signatures (= 2 proposers + 8 assentors).

No deposit payable in Local Elections, either: only for Parliament.

When people do that and actually get some votes, it will often let the Tories in. The exact opposite of what many want.

I see Jared Omara is in the news again . What a cracking MP he was for his constituents 

I notice that the campaigning has started already, with political leaflets arriving through my door.  No bad thing, you may think.  Sadly, I know that this lead to problems for some, if they don't look at them carefully.

I look closely at "junk mail" in case it has any personal details on it - such as name and address or other things.  They are common on life insurance/football pools/pension advice and many others, but now they appearing on political fliers as well. 

I don't know why this has started - I never remember if before the last few years - and I suppose it must be legal, but I thought if you "opted out" of the publically available electoral roll and were ex-directory that meant you avoided this sort of thing.  Either way, plenty of people simply throw political stuff away with the pizza fliers - and if you look around, plenty of them are flying around when blue bins are emptied.

My advice is to shred or burn the things (after careful reading of course!), not simply throw away your personal details...

On 11/04/2021 at 19:33, Anna B said:

Ah, but that might change with the 'committee' model if it's accepted in the referendum. That's the point of it, because for too long Labour has been a closed shop.

All parties will then have a say in all decisions.

There will be different points of view certainly, and the winners will be the one's who can justify their argument with sound logic and good reasons for implementation.

It makes no difference to the final decision,  that is if the dominant party has an interest in the decision, Councillors representing national parties vote the way they are told under threat of deselection or removal from Cttees. The best outcome is for a council to be in no overall control with a significant number of independents to tip the balance, making decisions based on the issue rather than party affiliation.