May 6th 2021 Elections

A month from now you will be asked to participate in what could be the most important election for Sheffielders in a long long time.

As well as voting for your local councillor, you will be asked in a referendum question how you want the Local Council to be run.

At the moment the Sheffield Council is run by a Leader supported by a Cabinet of 9 Labour Councillors. The supporting district councillors deal with more local issues, but in effect it is the cabinet that makes all the decisions.

The new alternative system is a Council run by committees of all councillors proportionate to the results of the election, so all parties will have a say in all decision making.

As Sheffield usually returns a Labour council things never change. They get voted in again time after time come what may, even after bad decisions. The new system makes the Council more accountable and means they won't have such an easy ride. They will have to argue and justify for the things they want, and do a good job, as will all the councillors who will be involved in the decision making. 

Please make sure you use your vote this time, it really can make a difference.

Edited by Anna B

Much as I too, would like a change Anna, you and I both know the majority of councillors will be wearing red ties or scarves, so the committees will be stuffed with the same individuals who 'run' the Council now - i.e. NO change.

Does anyone know whether it'll be 2 separate voting cards, one for the council elections and one for the referendum?

I assume it must.

I will be voting for the committee model.

think it will really help the city going forward and hopefully focus everyone on improving things rather than political squabbling. 

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

A month from now you will be asked to participate in what could be the most important election for Sheffielders in a long long time.

As well as voting for your local councillor, you will be asked in a referendum question how you want the Local Council to be run.

You havnt mentioned that we will also be voting for who leads the new set up, is that correct?

22 minutes ago, El Cid said:

You havnt mentioned that we will also be voting for who leads the new set up, is that correct?

Will we, @El Cid ?- my advance notice says it is for 'Election of councillors to Sheffield City Council for my ward, Local Government Act Referendum and Police and Crime Commissioner for the South Yorkshire area' - no indication of what the second item will cover.

Edited by RollingJ

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

3 different issues on the voting sheet I believe: who you want as your local councillor, who you want as local Police Commissioner, and how do you want the council to be run, ie. with a leader and cabinet (as now,) or by representative committees.

I believe the committees will be made up according to the percentage votes, eg put simply, if 30% vote Conservative, and 70% Labour, then the committees will also be 30% Conservative and 70% Labour, and all will have an equal vote on the issues. Of course other parties like the Greens will be factored in. 

Better than having just 9 Labour grandees (the Cabinet) and one Labour leader making all the decisions.

I'm hoping they'll all learn to work together in the common interests of Sheffield.

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

3 different issues on the voting sheet I believe: who you want as your local councillor, who you want as local Police Commissioner, and how do you want the council to be run, ie. with a leader and cabinet (as now,) or by representative committees.

I believe the committees will be made up according to the percentage votes, eg put simply, if 30% vote Conservative, and 70% Labour, then the committees will also be 30% Conservative and 70% Labour, and all will have an equal vote on the issues. Of course other parties like the Greens will be factored in. 

Better than having just 9 Labour grandees (the Cabinet) and one Labour leader making all the decisions.

I'm hoping they'll all learn to work together in the common interests of Sheffield.

Bolded bit : Seen any flying pigs recently, Anna?🤣

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Will we, @El Cid ?- my advance notice says it is for 'Election of councillors to Sheffield City Council for my ward, Local Government Act Referendum and Police and Crime Commissioner for the South Yorkshire area' - no indication of what the second item will cover.

Just asking the question. I thought they were making all areas the same.

In West Yorkshire we are voting for a Mayor, looks like you already have one. Next year to re-elect?

https://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/about-the-mayor/

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Will we, @El Cid ?- my advance notice says it is for 'Election of councillors to Sheffield City Council for my ward, Local Government Act Referendum and Police and Crime Commissioner for the South Yorkshire' area' - no indication of what the second item will cover.

The second item, 'Local Government Act Referendum,' is exactly what we are talking about, the chance to change from a 'cabinet' style governance to a 'committee' style governance, to be decided by referendum on the same ballot paper. 

More information about it here.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/campaigns/scc-governance-referendum

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Bolded bit : Seen any flying pigs recently, Anna?🤣

I know what you mean...🙄

But eventually I'm hoping all local councils will be made up of more independents (there's probably more chance of them being elected with new system) and less about simple political party affiliation. 

Anyway, the good of Sheffield and its inhabitants should be at the heart of any councillor worth his or her salt, and trump party loyalty. 

We can but hope...

On 03/04/2021 at 20:00, Anna B said:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/campaigns/governance-referendum/Proposed governance systems information.pdf

Where are you basing your view on Anna that it is percentage votes. The models indicate that 

"All 84 of Sheffield's councillors (known as Full Council) elect a Leader, but decision making authority continues to rest with Full Council, which will delegate most decision making to groups of councillors drawn from all of the political parties on the council (committees). Full Council makes appointments to these committees. Each committee is politically proportionate – this means that the largest party on the Full Council will have the most councillors in each committee." (source https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/campaigns/scc-governance-referendum)

The committees will still be made up of the elected councillors and will still be majority of the majority (Labour) party. I cant see anything based on percentage votes. If Labour have a majority of councillors then it will have a majority of councillors on each committee if im reading right