Car Overtaking A Hearse

On 01/04/2021 at 15:28, Vaati said:

Well, i saw the ultimate show of disrespect for a deceased person today.  I went for a short walk a while ago and a hearse, complete with coffin inside, passed me.  A car, from behind the hearse then sped up and passed it with "Get of of the -expletive- way.  Since when is it acceptable for someone to do this?  I don't think any family were with it as there was no 'second car' but I felt awful for the deceased and the driver of the hearse.

Don't think the deceased will have been overly bothered.

Getting upset for people who aren't upset seems to be de rigeur these days

Perhaps the drivers 3 week old baby was dying & the only way it would survive was if the driver got to hospital to provide a blood transfusion?

What would you do in the circumstances? Drive 'respectfully' & watch your baby die

1 hour ago, MJ01 said:

Perhaps the drivers 3 week old baby was dying & the only way it would survive was if the driver got to hospital to provide a blood transfusion?

What would you do in the circumstances? Drive 'respectfully' & watch your baby die

Well Well i really believed that there was an emergency ambulance service in this country, classed as one of the best in the world, ime shattered that you have to take a 3 week old dying baby to hospital in your own car?

Nothing but nothing surprises me nowadays. 

A few years ago I saw a student type youngster press the button on a pelican crossing just as an Ambulance approached with blues and twos blaring. 

Yes the lights changed, the Ambulance was forced to stop and they sauntered across the road as if nothing had happened !!!!!    

1 hour ago, MJ01 said:

Don't think the deceased will have been overly bothered.

Getting upset for people who aren't upset seems to be de rigeur these days

I agree.

If the driver that overtook the hearse was going over the speed limit then he would have committed an offence. If the driver of the hearse was driving slow and well below the speed limit then he could have also committed an offence. I wonder which one it was.

How ridiculous,  as tho the driver of the hearse would get a ticket for impedeing traffic whilst carrying out his duty,  what next,  the police getting a speeding  ticket during a high speed chase,  :hihi:

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

How ridiculous,  as tho the driver of the hearse would get a ticket for impedeing traffic whilst carrying out his duty,  what next,  the police getting a speeding  ticket during a high speed chase,  :hihi:

The problem there is that the police are exempt.:)

Edited by apelike

25 minutes ago, apelike said:

Not automatically. They are all exempt in some circumstances, but not all the time.

To get back to the subject of the thread, how much of an antisocial git do you have to be to overtake a funeral procession?

1 hour ago, Prettytom said:

Not automatically. They are all exempt in some circumstances, but not all the time.

PRESLEY talked about the police getting a speeding ticket during a high speed chase though. The Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984 and the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2004 exempts emergency vehicles from the observance of speed limits, left right signs and complying  with traffic signals if it would hinder the use of the vehicle for the purpose it was being used for at the time.

To get back to the subject of the thread, how much of an antisocial git do you have to be to overtake a funeral procession?

The OP stated it was just a single hearse though and not a funeral procession which I would think it ok to overtake without being a git. A funeral procession however is another matter.

Edited by apelike

6 hours ago, apelike said:

Joking aside,   I agree a hearse going from A to B and not involved in a funeral  procession travelling under the given speed limit  impeding traffic, I would have thought to be committing  an offence,  

I think the whole point of this thread is not that the car overtook the hearse but the way in which it was done.     Sounds to me like the car driver is a total ar*ehole.