Car Overtaking A Hearse

Well, i saw the ultimate show of disrespect for a deceased person today.  I went for a short walk a while ago and a hearse, complete with coffin inside, passed me.  A car, from behind the hearse then sped up and passed it with "Get of of the -expletive- way.  Since when is it acceptable for someone to do this?  I don't think any family were with it as there was no 'second car' but I felt awful for the deceased and the driver of the hearse.

in my younger days a couple would stand in respect on the pavement as one went by,also the man would lower his cap or hat,this is complete/utter disrespect.

41 minutes ago, Vaati said:

Well, i saw the ultimate show of disrespect for a deceased person today.  I went for a short walk a while ago and a hearse, complete with coffin inside, passed me.  A car, from behind the hearse then sped up and passed it with "Get of of the -expletive- way.  Since when is it acceptable for someone to do this?  I don't think any family were with it as there was no 'second car' but I felt awful for the deceased and the driver of the hearse.

Maybe the offending driver was on an urgent appointment, and didn't want to be stuck behind a slow moving hearse.

5 minutes ago, bassett one said:

in my younger days a couple would stand in respect on the pavement as one went by,also the man would lower his cap or hat,this is complete/utter disrespect.

I'm not 'old' but I have seen that before rarely see it these days.

5 minutes ago, Padders said:

Maybe the offending driver was on an urgent appointment, and didn't want to be stuck behind a slow moving hearse.

But to say what the driver said (there is a reason i have expletive as it would have been in the swear filter). There was no reason for it IMO.

40 minutes ago, Padders said:

Hmmm... :huh:

... maybe he was late for his own funeral? :suspect:

About ten years ago i saw a couple of boys about  10/12 years of age on bicycles, i was amazed when a hearse went passed and they all got off their bikes and stopped for a few seconds until it had passed, if i was their parents i would have been so proud of them, there is the odd idiot out there, but most people still  have manners and show respect

6 hours ago, Vaati said:

Disgraceful 

I remember when I was a child, if someone died on your road, everyone closed their curtains when the hearse drove along the road.

The thing that makes me mad about theses type of  (err, I won't call them drivers)  majority of the time they get away with their wrecklessness behaviour and some poor bugger sometimes travelling with their family suffer  their stupidity,  I just wish the Police were around especially in cases like this, not blaming the Police in anyway, they can't be everywhere.  On saying this, its usually just a matter of time before these idiots meet their comeuppence. :loopy:

3 hours ago, pattricia said:

I remember when I was a child, if someone died on your road, everyone closed their curtains when the hearse drove along the road.

I remember the closed curtain routine from Crosspool in the 1950's.  If I were walking to/from school I'd have to take my cap off and stand to attention while the hearse passed.

The incident in the OP is an example of the entitled arrogance seemingly so prevalent in society these days, I think.

I would like to add, as full disclosure, that I overtook a hearse once.  It was on a dual carriageway, and I dithered about it for a bit before I did, but work didn't really give us long enough to travel between clinics to allow for a 20 minute delay following a hearse 😔

Unfortunately a few days ago a neighbour died alone and had been dead a few days before his body was found and subsequently removed. He was single and a recluse. When his body was removed I stood opposite the hearse with crossed hands and bowed head. I was the only one to show respect.