Bbc Radio Sheffield Today

I liked the spirit of the interview. A good attempt to invite new people.

It's better than doing nothing about it.

7 hours ago, dutch said:

Good luck, listened to the interview and as someone who has used this forum for a long time must agree that it has been struggling lately.

Sheffield Facebook forum has got much more followers but I can predict what will be on there, it's no better.

Get more useful local information from the neighbours website.

Hi Dutch, it was me on the radio, I would love to hear any suggestions on how we make SF better.

5 hours ago, dutch said:

No I meant the https://www.facebook.com/onlinesheffield/ page with all them police notification and boring Sheffield star like articles.

Unfortunately this forum has been reduced to next to nothing over the years mostly due to its particular strong moderating. I even got banned here for two weeks several years ago for my strong opinions. Now I only check Sheffield forum mostly as a good source of public transport information and few other little things but I would not dare speak out like I used to on here before. Many people who used this forum before have left now scared to say something too extreme.

But when people speak about say for example page hall you get all these out of order extreme comments and it must be difficult to keep this in tune with reality.

Information is the only reason I still look here sometime but have lost all interest in joining most conversations.

Dutch, we welcome your opinions

5 hours ago, dutch said:

No I meant the https://www.facebook.com/onlinesheffield/ page with all them police notification and boring Sheffield star like articles.

Unfortunately this forum has been reduced to next to nothing over the years mostly due to its particular strong moderating. I even got banned here for two weeks several years ago for my strong opinions. Now I only check Sheffield forum mostly as a good source of public transport information and few other little things but I would not dare speak out like I used to on here before. Many people who used this forum before have left now scared to say something too extreme.

But when people speak about say for example page hall you get all these out of order extreme comments and it must be difficult to keep this in tune with reality.

Information is the only reason I still look here sometime but have lost all interest in joining most conversations.

Hear, Hear!

7 hours ago, CS22 said:

Sorry it's later than that.

As I said in #11, it’s around the 77 minute mark 👍🏻

Edited by nikki-red

Just listened to the interview.

I couldn't understand Paulette's comment about the Forum being 'nasty'. Then I recalled the lengthy thread on Radio Sheffield and in particular Toby Foster.

Not the Forum's finest hour. 

Good luck to the new owners.

13 hours ago, CS22 said:

Hi Dutch, it was me on the radio, I would love to hear any suggestions on how we make SF better.

Dutch, we welcome your opinions

What you did in the interview was very good and a much needed new attempt to remain in touch with people around the area.

Paulette told me after the show that many people had texted or called to say they had stopped using this forum saying it had become too left labour minded and that right wing opinions were not appreciated. 

This forum was in the past very contaminated with people personal emotional issues and was much more heated in those days inviting them to be much more selfish. This got a lot of momentum going more because of their personal opinions, Sheffield was just the excuse they needed something to chat about.

This forum is now more about Sheffield and has lost those fired up heated conversations that could be very judgmental at times.

Think Sheffield is more important and the real reason for this forum to continue now. It does not really attract much response anymore because Sheffield people can have a strong opinion by nature.

Staying factual is a good way to stick to the topic of this forum but many people feel emotional about the place they were born and live in and these feelings do not always pass the moderation system.

I suggest to continue making clear this forum is about sheffield and allow people to behave like a real sheffielder.

One of the liveliest threads at present is the one about Scottish Independence which I just don't understand

23 hours ago, CS22 said:

Hi Dutch, it was me on the radio, I would love to hear any suggestions on how we make SF better

I thought that the interview was great.

As a suggestion, why not have an amnesty.  Over the years, the forum has lost some brilliant contributors to the kingdom of the banned. It is quite possible that you could gain a decent amount of momentum by allowing them to post again.

11 hours ago, Prettytom said:

As a suggestion, why not have an amnesty.  Over the years, the forum has lost some brilliant contributors to the kingdom of the banned. It is quite possible that you could gain a decent amount of momentum by allowing them to post again.

They’ve all found different places to post. There seems to be changes happening here maybe that will persuade some to give it another try.

13 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Hi Prettytom an amnesty sounds like a good idea, we must maintain a safe environment for everyone but we don't want to stop debate. Passion, opinions a desire to make Sheffield a better place for everyone is our ambition as owners of SF. The more people, the more passion and debate must be a positive.

I will discuss this idea with my colleagues and let you know.