Bbc Radio Sheffield Today

Having your threads locked, posts routinely deleted,  and accounts suspended without explanation or recourse is not "moderation". 

Gleefully threatening people with suspensions or thread locks is not "moderation". 

Another word springs to mind. Just following orders doesn't cut it.

SFRob asked how to improve the place 6 mths ago,

"Will things be changing? Only for the better and we want to hear from you on what we can do to make it happen! We're open to all ideas"

Someone deleted half the answers and dished out suspensions as a reward.  Is that a good way to treat people?

I hope the new moderator(s) remember there is a human being on the end of every deletion. Some of them appear quite delicate.

If you're going to delete stuff or suspend accounts, tell people why. ie which specific forum rule has been breached.

--

There is no point contributing to a forum when 80% of your posts are going to be deleted.

Edited by fools

Quote Medusa: 

Nobody got rid of me, apart from my own inability to cope with being around the place without my oldest friend alongside me.  I reluctantly admitted that my heart was not in returning after my self imposed leave last week.  I appreciate the efforts that esme, Groose and Nikki-Red went to in order to take up my slack in my absence and am very sorry that my resignation may have precipitated all of this.

No need to be sorry about your resignation - due to your bereavement you have enough to cope with right now.  It’s quite possible that these changes were in the pipeline anyway, and you leaving has just created an opportune moment to progress them.  It’s clear from the depth of feeling displayed in this thread that the forum is well overdue for a refresh. Five pages in and people have had their say with civility and no rudeness. 

Edited by Jomie

15 hours ago, Hecate said:

Blimey!   I predicted a bit of slash and burn around the place once the tech bros took over, but getting rid of Medusa and the team seems a bit... extreme.

Hi @Hecate we've posted about the changes here: 

Reading this thread gives me the feeling I stepped in a time machine. looking forward to this I have started using many other websites lately but Sheffield forum used to be one of the better ones.

5 hours ago, fools said:

Having your threads locked, posts routinely deleted,  and accounts suspended without explanation or recourse is not "moderation". 

Gleefully threatening people with suspensions or thread locks is not "moderation". 

Another word springs to mind. Just following orders doesn't cut it.

SFRob asked how to improve the place 6 mths ago,

"Will things be changing? Only for the better and we want to hear from you on what we can do to make it happen! We're open to all ideas"

Someone deleted half the answers and dished out suspensions as a reward.  Is that a good way to treat people?

I hope the new moderator(s) remember there is a human being on the end of every deletion. Some of them appear quite delicate.

If you're going to delete stuff or suspend accounts, tell people why. ie which specific forum rule has been breached.

--

There is no point contributing to a forum when 80% of your posts are going to be deleted.

Couldn't agree more, having lost my account years ago due to mods with egos. I for one won't be shedding any tears about them all being sacked. They can bleat they weren't sacked, but it is quite clear they were and I detect some bitterness from one of them in this thread.

Nice to be back.

Edited by HeHasRisen

9766 banned users ... says it all.

then there's the ones that just gave up, and a few suffering Stockholm syndrome.

no more sweeping it under the carpet.

Edited by fools

I may be naive, but what have the above few posts to do with Radio Sheffield? One might think one has  drifted off topic.

1 minute ago, Hopman said:

I may be naive, but what have the above few posts to do with Radio Sheffield? One might think one has  drifted off topic.

Listen to the interview and what Chris has to say.

Two weeks ago sheffield forum was almost standing on its last legs and now people are willing to give it another chance.

A member of the team appeared on the radio to promote the site, moderation and bullying were mentioned several times as a problem.

The old mods can no longer delete complaints about moderation, so pipe up if you were affected

Edited by fools

13 minutes ago, fools said:

A member of the team appeared on the radio to promote the site, moderation and bullying were mentioned several times as a problem.

The old mods can no longer delete complaints about moderation, so pipe up if you were affected

Must be killing them 😝

whatsapp  overheating ...

Hang on a minute- are the only complaints to be listened to about users who had issue with moderation? 

How about the moderators who had death threats? 

How about the rewards being posted online for any real life information on the moderators? 

How about that real life information being posted on far right sites as an enemy, just in case anybody would care to pay them a visit?
How about turning up at forum meets tooled up to threaten the mod team in real life?

Do these not count?  Do these not explain why some users were banned in repeat accounts because we simply were not prepared to have that person on the forum in any username?
Honestly, in the last 15 years I've had 3 stalkers, one of whom I found before he found me, and it turned out that he lived less than half a mile from my house.

If we're not considering bullying towards the moderators, how about bullying between users? Stalking?  Threats?

THIS IS NOT A ONE WAY STREET HERE FOLKS.