Bbc Radio Sheffield Today

27 minutes ago, Padders said:

Exactly Pat.

Even SFBeca says they did a brilliant job.

What I can't understand is, why replace them with a new team.

By all accounts the old team were "slightly" disappointed at their removal.

Eyup Padders.

It wasn’t so much the removal, it was how they went about it.

As for ‘karma’ @busdriver1 we always just followed rules that were set by the old owner. The new team want a different set of rules and that’s 100% their prerogative.

9 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Eyup Padders.

It wasn’t so much the removal, it was how they went about it.

As for ‘karma’ @busdriver1 we always just followed rules that were set by the old owner. The new team want a different set of rules and that’s 100% their prerogative.

Absolutely! :nod:

So maybe it's time to stop with the bleating and accept it like a grown-up?

One question though - Does anyone really believe that this discussion about moderation (and across several forum threads) would have been allowed to go on for so long under the old regime? :shakes:

1 minute ago, Mr Bloke said:

Absolutely! :nod:

So maybe it's time to stop with the bleating and accept it like a grown-up?

One question though - Does anyone really believe that this discussion about moderation (and across several forum threads) would have been allowed to go on for so long under the old regime? :shakes:

I didn’t bring it up today, do you think I should let people post comments about us and not reply?

7 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

I didn’t bring it up today, do you think I should let people post comments about us and not reply?

Of course not - and it's a valid point!

But my point is that you've been given the opportunity to disagree with how you think the forum is being run without your post being removed or you being treated like a toddler and placed on the naughty step.

Nikki-red - it is unfortunate that the handover wasn’t completed in a way that you were happy with.  This was a sensitive issue, particularly as you have put in many hours of your time moderating the forum.  As someone who deals with two forums I know how time consuming the work can be. You have made some interesting posts in the past  and hopefully you will now be able to contribute more fully.  Also, the criticism from fellow members will cease. 

It is clear that Sheffield Forum is not what it was in terms of post/thread numbers but whether this is due to over moderation or other social media platforms is unclear. Mr Bloke is right though - this discussion would have been shut down immediately under the old team. I hope that there will be no more removal of posts (unless they are offensive), no help desk messages and greater transparency. I also hope that members will be able to say what they want (with civility of course). It is not a moderators role to steer discussions in one direction. 

I wish the new owner and team success and hope that the forum becomes the lively place that it once was. 

Edited by Jomie

5 hours ago, SFBeca said:

Absolutely! They've done a brilliant job, was just pointing out that there is a new team in place. 

Blimey!   I predicted a bit of slash and burn around the place once the tech bros took over, but getting rid of Medusa and the team seems a bit... extreme.

3 hours ago, Jomie said:

...  I also hope that members will be able to say what they want (with civility of course). ...

Yeah, that's not going to happen.  Forums are old hat.  Forums that allow general discussion, especially the political discussion and what not of the SF fight club of old, are expensive old hat in terms of moderator time, especially if you no longer rely largely on volunteers.  Sites are getting rid of forums or paring them down.

This time next year SF will be a community hub focussed on Sheffield-related content of the shiny happy variety, with probably a bit of local news coverage.  The brand isn't angry old blokes sat in their pants banging away at the keyboard about whatever ****** them off that day; it's Twitter-friendly stories about happy Sheffielders raising money for the NHS. 

Nothing wrong with that, of course, but if folk are expecting SF circa 2008 I predict they're going to be disappointed.

Did someone mention an amnesty?

That would be a fab idea. Back in the day there were some brilliant members who posted some very interesting, funny, sometimes stupid stuff that was always worth a read. Big respect to the new owners for even allowing this conversation to take place without being locked. That to me seems like a very good sign things are on the up.

Long live Sheffield Forum!!!!

43 minutes ago, Hecate said:

This time next year SF will be a community hub focussed on Sheffield-related content of the shiny happy variety, with probably a bit of local news coverage.  The brand isn't angry old blokes sat in their pants banging away at the keyboard about whatever ****** them off that day; 

I really must secure my webcam.

3 hours ago, Hecate said:

Blimey!   I predicted a bit of slash and burn around the place once the tech bros took over, but getting rid of Medusa and the team seems a bit... extreme.

Nobody got rid of me, apart from my own inability to cope with being around the place without my oldest friend alongside me.  I reluctantly admitted that my heart was not in returning after my self imposed leave last week.  I appreciate the efforts that esme, Groose and Nikki-Red went to in order to take up my slack in my absence and am very sorry that my resignation may have precipitated all of this.

I was on this forum for years - loved it.

It went through a period  12-18months ago where the level of moderation was ridiculous, constant deletion of posts and suspensions and bans, not just for me but others.

I signed up again today and it’s like a wasteland compared to what it used to be - there’s no real debates going on.

I understand the need for moderation but I think that’s what damaged the forum In the past.

14 minutes ago, Fictional Pulp said:

I was on this forum for years - loved it.

It went through a period  12-18months ago where the level of moderation was ridiculous, constant deletion of posts and suspensions and bans, not just for me but others.

I signed up again today and it’s like a wasteland compared to what it used to be - there’s no real debates going on.

I understand the need for moderation but I think that’s what damaged the forum In the past.

Howdoo, not sure if our paths crossed back in the day but I was a member when this place was bustling too. Cards on the table time, i was banned as well and rejoined after reading this thread. It would be brill if some of the old faces rejoined. I realise I could wake up tomorrow to find my account banned seeing as I was banned before, if that happens then fair enough but I hope it wont, id like to see SF grow again and id like to be a small part of that. It was a blast back in the good old days.

Anyway, off to bed now, lets see what tomorrow brings.