Finding Jack

This was a tv programme about Jack Charlton. It told how he had dementia and about his time as manager of Ireland. I was rather disappointed in this programme as it didn’t mention much about  England wining the World Cup in 1966 or showed any clips from this match.

... yet there was a program on the other night called "Match of their day" - a series I understand, but the episode they showed on bbc2 was an interview with Big Jack, which did show footage of the WC final.  Sadly, I only caught the last few minutes of it and am not on iplayer, so don't think I can get to watch it, or other programs in the series. 

17 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

... yet there was a program on the other night called "Match of their day" - a series I understand, but the episode they showed on bbc2 was an interview with Big Jack, which did show footage of the WC final.  Sadly, I only caught the last few minutes of it and am not on iplayer, so don't think I can get to watch it, or other programs in the series. 

Sorry I missed that !

I recorded the program about Jack but haven't watched it yet.  Probably not much mention of his time as Wednesday's manager either. Shame as there's a lot more to the bloke other than managing Ireland.

It was a very good programme highlighting Jack's battle with dementia although it dwelled a bit too much on his time as Ireland manager. The programme showed that although Jack didn't suffer fools gladly he had a compassionate side, in particular with Paul McGrath and his problems with alcohol.

8 hours ago, mikeG said:

I recorded the program about Jack but haven't watched it yet.  Probably not much mention of his time as Wednesday's manager either. Shame as there's a lot more to the bloke other than managing Ireland.

Yes, never realised that the programme didn’t mention Sheffield Wednesday.

The programme was advertised as being focused on his relationship with Ireland. Terribly sad to see the affects of dementia, but a great insight into the man. 

13 hours ago, pattricia said:

This was a tv programme about Jack Charlton. It told how he had dementia and about his time as manager of Ireland. I was rather disappointed in this programme as it didn’t mention much about  England wining the World Cup in 1966 or showed any clips from this match.

Highlights of the 1966 WC Final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0aK2IgORGA

When he was manager at Hilllsborough, Jack and Maurice Setters sometimes used to come to the Park Hotel after a night match and have a natter with the fans. Great fella'.

5 hours ago, prince al said:

A disgrace that he wasn’t Knighted.

Yes, I wonder why ? 

When he was manager of Sheffield Wednesday my son was sitting with his pals at the side of the road in Rivelin after they had been camping all night. He stopped his car and asked them if they wanted a lift. They accepted of course.

Many years later my younger son was salmon fishing in Scotland ,and Jack was fishing on the same bank. Jack hooked a salmon but asked my son if he would land it for him.

Jack’s brother Bobby Charlton was knighted.  So why wasn’t Jack Knighted?