Microsoft Account Hacked?

When I signed in to Sheffield History Forum (not to be confused with SF history & expats), I received a message saying that someone had signed in simultaneously from Woking.  I have since changed my Microsoft account password but the same thing happens. Any ideas?

Who is your ISP?

It may be that the routing of your ISP means it thinks you are in Woking..

Go here, https://www.iplocation.net/

see where it thinks you are :)

Thanks Ghozer, It says I am in Sheffield/ Chesterfield. 

I recently had my outlook email account hacked; beware of email alerts from Microsoft urging you to verify your account.  If you hover the curser over the senders name it will identify the real sender's address.

Full anti-virus checks needed at first sign of problems like this

Thanks Thirsty Relic.  Just done a scan and no virus found.

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

Who is your ISP?

It may be that the routing of your ISP means it thinks you are in Woking..

Go here, https://www.iplocation.net/

see where it thinks you are :)

That was educational, apparently I'm using Mac OS X and I'm in Southampton 😂

I'm on a Chromebook in Sheffield.

To the OP, if you're worried about a hacked account, run your antivirus and then change your password, don't do it the other way around.

Edited by Pyrotequila

9 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

That was educational, apparently I'm using Mac OS X and I'm in Southampton 😂

I'm on a Chromebook in Sheffield.

To the OP, if you're worried about a hacked account, run your antivirus and then change your password, don't do it the other way around.

It may identify as Mac OSX as it will report as a "Unix" variant etc, so if you OS Just reports as "Unix based" - the best guess/most popular Unix based is Mac OS :)

and for Southampton, that's as I said above - because that is the location your ISP is routed from, and is the closest point the website can identify :)

I've run McAfee full antivirus scan & found nothing. Just noticed that McAfee's ID for my laptop is not the same as Windows 10's ID for it. Is this normal?

2 hours ago, sovrappeso said:

I've run McAfee full antivirus scan & found nothing. Just noticed that McAfee's ID for my laptop is not the same as Windows 10's ID for it. Is this normal?

It's probably basing on your Computer name or something... you can usually set this manually....

On 26/03/2021 at 21:11, Ghozer said:

It may identify as Mac OSX as it will report as a "Unix" variant etc, so if you OS Just reports as "Unix based" - the best guess/most popular Unix based is Mac OS :)

and for Southampton, that's as I said above - because that is the location your ISP is routed from, and is the closest point the website can identify :)

I run both MacOS and Windows, Windows tells me I'm in Leeds :(

MacOS tells me I'm in Reading, I think it is to do with a setting in Apple's Safari browser to prevent your location being shared but I've never looked into it.