How Long Until Meadowhall Is Converted Into A Prison?

With retail on it's arse and most peoples shopping habits moving online,how long until the urban myth becomes reality? 

If it gives Winston Churchill's grandson another opportunity to help himself to even more taxpayers money, why not ?

I can't see it really - far too many entrances, exits and points where people could get out.  Too much glass, and it would take too much building to try and convert it into a prison. 

The last time I went there (years ago), I was surprised at many groups of youths were around, seemingly buying nothing, just hanging about.  I had thought then of turning it into a sort of teenage creche, where adults could drop them off while doing real shopping - then I realised that was what Centertainment was for a tram stop away.

I'm glad people are thinking of what to do with it though - keep the ideas coming! 

Turn it into a therapy centre for all the depressives on here?😆😆

Sorry @Thirsty Relic- it will be run by the Salvation Army, in conjunction with the Green Vegan Abstainers Movement.

With retail in the state that it's in and big name retailers disappearing from the high street,how long will it be until the urban myth becomes reality. 

I think Meadowhall will be watching with bated breath how business develops over the next 6-12 months.

On-line shopping even before lockdown was popular. During lockdown it has increased further. Will the general public ever return to our traditional shops be it in a city centre or a shopping mall. 

I think Meadowhall will continue to attract a day visitor for dining, the cinema and 'window shopping' but how many will purchase from its 240 shops only time will tell.

Pre pandemic, Intu, the owners of many out of town retail facilities was in financial trouble. A sign of the times that has been accelerated by the pandemic.

I think Meadowhall will be fine for all the reasons it was successful before.

large variety of shops in an great location with security, free parking, tram, bus and rail links.

It’s the city centre that is in real trouble in terms of retail for me.

15 minutes ago, Fictional Pulp said:

It’s the city centre that is in real trouble in terms of retail for me.

If people are concerned about saving city centre retail then they need to get out there in a couple of weeks and spend, spend, spend. 

12 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

If people are concerned about saving city centre retail then they need to get out there in a couple of weeks and spend, spend, spend. 

I would agree but unfortunately there’s not a lot many places left to spend your money.