Graves Park Fishing Ponds

the boating lake would make a great fishing venue,bet there lots of big fish in there,plus its a pity its not used for other things,we used to canoe on there from school years ago.

On 06/05/2021 at 09:05, biggsy said:

Hi Basset

I'm afraid it's been around thirty years since I fished the pond but back then you couldn't fish the nature reserve with the fence around or the boating lake so it left just the one pond, I've not been near the ponds since so I can't be of much help..

I also used to fish the Crabtree pond at Barnsley road, Another of the free fishing ponds, I emailed Robert Millar of Wild Sheffield to ask if fishing was still allowed, I received this reply..

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding fishing at Crabtree Ponds. There is a long history of the pond being fished but it seems to be used less frequently now than it has in the past.

As a conservation organisation we would prefer that the pond was not fished and left to its own devices for the benefit of wildlife. To my knowledge the Sheffield Wildlife Trust does not hold any fishing rights for the site, and are unaware of anyone else holding them either so we are unable to give you permission to fish there.

If you decide to fish down there, we ask that you respect the environment and wildlife that exists there and that you take all of your litter & fishing line etc with you. In my experience this is usually the case, and it is only the minority that can sometimes give the fishing community a bad name.

The following website may be of some use to you: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing

Kind regards,

Rob."

I can't actually recall where I got his email address from, Maybe he's something to do with the EA, It was ten years ago and i've forgotten!

I do recall that when I fished the Graves park pond it was only around  28-30" deep so 25 years of dropping leaves may have left it even more shallow, I don't know if they actively mainatin the ponds by dredging but I wouldn't think it to be high on their list of priorities!!

Cheers, Biggsy 👍

I used to fish  crabtree pond with my grandfather around 55 years ago when it was strictly private. There used to be good fish in it in those days.  Apparently when the council took the lease away it was netted by the members and the fish taken elsewhere.

Mel Randall 

Was there a drowning recently at Crookes Park in the city near the University? I was there with my friend a few weeks ago and people seemed nervous to go into the water.? Does anyone know anything about this? I swam but my friend would not get in the water as she said she did not feel comfortable??? There was an older lady who swam in a wet suit and was very at ease. Please let me know if you know anything. Thanks for your help. Lily