Pro Democracy Riot Bristol

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

A gets totally ignored and no mention in the media so no one knows there are other people feeling exactly like them. 

B gets lurid headlines with front page headlines and pictures, is universally condemned by all, and the original cause is irredeemably tarnished.

Let's hope the media start reporting peaceful demonstrations fairly and factually.

Anna - A was the clap for carers which 1980's girl was saying was the same as the Bristol demonstrations. That received a lot of media coverage constantly during the time it was taking place.

4 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Anna - A was the clap for carers which 1980's girl was saying was the same as the Bristol demonstrations. That received a lot of media coverage constantly during the time it was taking place.

I was talking generally about peaceful protesting. There have been some pretty big ones that were deliberately ignored by the media. The only ones they seem to want to mention are the ones that become aggressive and violent. And the method of 'kettling' for several hours is often what causes tempers to fray.

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I was talking generally about peaceful protesting. There have been some pretty big ones that were deliberately ignored by the media. The only ones they seem to want to mention are the ones that become aggressive and violent. And the method of 'kettling' for several hours is often what causes tempers to fray.

Which protests? 

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Me bold. And that method of "kettling", after 12 years of debate in the courts, was deemed a lawful way for the police to control large crowds. The could of course put restrictions in place to help stop that... oh hang on!

Edited by apelike

apelike, thank you for the lesson in Parliamentary procedures but I don't need one; Bill?  Legislation? Semantics.  The 'Bill' was introduced to Parliament on 9 March 2021.  As for its contents and what it will mean I suggest you read the Commons Library Research Briefing: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9158/

2 hours ago, AKAMD said:

apelike, thank you for the lesson in Parliamentary procedures but I don't need one; Bill?  Legislation? Semantics.  The 'Bill' was introduced to Parliament on 9 March 2021.  As for its contents and what it will mean I suggest you read the Commons Library Research Briefing: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9158/

Semantics are very important when it come to legal matters especially in understanding what certain words or phrases mean in law. Legislation means it is a law or a set of laws passed by parliament and that was what you first stated.  But having said that it could also mean the act of making a new law. But.. you now have changed that to introduced so it seems you have now acknowledged the mistake and agree with me as that is what I put. Unfortunately some seem to believe that when a bill is introduced it then becomes law.

As explained though it has many stages to go through which will be scrutinised and possibly amended so it will take time and probably won't even get passed this year so it doesn't really matter when it was introduce for a reading. As for its contents I already have the full text of the proposed bill and have already linked to a brief guide in post #21. 

Edited by apelike

'He knew the precise psychological moment when to say nothing.'  Oscar Wilde

Parliament's Joint Committee on Human Rights, which has cross-party membership including several Tory MPs and peers, has said that

The Government's Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill (Part 3) would curb non-violent protest in a way that is inconsistent with our human rights and is deeply concerning,

and

Too much of Part 3 of the Government’s PCSC Bill leaves room for confusion and the potential for arbitrary or discriminatory use of new powers, says the Committee

The report and its summary can be read here

Membership of the committee is here