Pro Democracy Riot Bristol

What are peoples thoughts on this? Do you think that we are likely to see further riots around the country this year?

3 minutes ago, 1980girl said:

What are peoples thoughts on this? Do you think that we are likely to see further riots around the country this year?

It wasn't a pro democracy riot. There was a peaceful protest about the right to protect - yobs from elsewhere got wind of it and decided to come and start a fight with the police. So it wasn't the "protestors" rioting, it was yobs.

OP,

I saw the news report. When I saw the police vehicle on fire, I hoped the mindless perpetrators would get a decent time at her majesty's pleasure.

The thugs who rioted came with one objective and that was to harm the police pure and simple. Any of them who are found guilty should get long sentences.

Pathetic and dangerous, mindless louts.

Even with all the 'do gooders',  I still think there would be enough of the population in favour of detention with hard labour.  Any party bringing  that in would get my vote.

Edited by Janus
Typo

My thoughts are with the police officers who got injured for just doing their job.  Hope they manage to identify all the culprits, let’s see how brave they are when they get that knock on the door from the police.

43 minutes ago, Janus said:

Even with all the 'do gooders',  I still think there would be enough of the population in favour of detention with hard labour.  Any party bringing  that in would get my vote.

To have anything like that you need a tough government- which this country hasn't had for ages.

I don't think any party would either,  leaders are weak.

35 minutes ago, West 77 said:

We need another tough strong leader like Margaret Thatcher who wasn't afraid to upset anyone and didn't operate any  mandy pandy policies.

Fully agree.

They broke the mould for Maggie. 

The situation is being labeled "kill the bill".

The courts ought to be making an example when offenders are caught. The police are looking for them, and images are to be published.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/22/twelve-police-officers-injured-in-bristol-kill-the-bill-protests

Be careful what you wish for!  No right-minded person would support the rioting seen at Bristol but neither would they want an authoritarian regime like China, Russia, etc.  The bill that the protest was about is exactly about that issue.  The government are introducing Draconian policies on the back of other issues that we all support.  Need to look at the small print before signing up for it.  Do you really want water cannons on the streets?  Armed police or soldiers on every street corner?  Ten years for being involved in a legitimate protest?  Not I!

1 hour ago, AKAMD said:

Be careful what you wish for!  No right-minded person would support the rioting seen at Bristol but neither would they want an authoritarian regime like China, Russia, etc.  The bill that the protest was about is exactly about that issue.  The government are introducing Draconian policies on the back of other issues that we all support.  Need to look at the small print before signing up for it.  Do you really want water cannons on the streets?  Armed police or soldiers on every street corner?  Ten years for being involved in a legitimate protest?  Not I!

The rioting in Bristol is the very reason the government are wanting to curb demo's to peaceful protests only and those rioting have not got the intelligence to understand that. Doing what they have done just makes more people support those measures and does not help their cause.

apelike, the bill, in its current form, will also make peaceful protest demonstrations unlawful.