Jump to content


Libraries During Lockdown

Recommended Posts

Just ring them, my other half had books in the lockdown and they waived all fees because there was no way for people to return them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

Just before the first lockdown I got several books from Manor library then lockdown hit and all libraries closed,the books were renewed by the library until last December as far as I’m aware the library is still closed. I’ve checked my account online today and it says I owe them about £60 as the books are “lost materials “ ?

I've also had books from before the first lockdown, some are showing as due back in January 21, some in April 21. None of them show any monies owing against them on my online account.

 

Manor library is open for collecting ordered books and drop off on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

 

https://shefflibraries.blogspot.com/p/live-library-status-tracker.html

 

That website also states fees are waived until end of March.

Edited by Bargepole23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always got an email a couple of days before my books were due back and have had nothing since lockdown.

 

Sure enough I've got a fine and missing materials on my library account. I will politely but firmly tell them to cancel these fines but I know many old people would be worried about it, my mum wouldn't sleep. My grandmother would worry she was going prison if she paid a bill late.

 

It's a very poor show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I've also had books from before the first lockdown, some are showing as due back in January 21, some in April 21. None of them show any monies owing against them on my online account.

 

Manor library is open for collecting ordered books and drop off on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

 

https://shefflibraries.blogspot.com/p/live-library-status-tracker.html

 

That website also states fees are waived until end of March.

Thank you that’s very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we're on the topic of libraries, just wanted to say thanks to the staff who, although I think they were on furlough, still helped me set up an online account so I could read ebooks and listen to audio books. Great customer service, efficient and friendly. And nothing like laughing along with a Bill Bryson book to aid mental health.

 

You librarians are the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Dozer said:

While we're on the topic of libraries, just wanted to say thanks to the staff who, although I think they were on furlough, still helped me set up an online account so I could read ebooks and listen to audio books. Great customer service, efficient and friendly. And nothing like laughing along with a Bill Bryson book to aid mental health.

 

You librarians are the best.

Let's hope they weren't on furlough because they'd be working and that's illegal. Might be working from home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/03/2021 at 09:06, Norbert said:

I always got an email a couple of days before my books were due back and have had nothing since lockdown.

 

Sure enough I've got a fine and missing materials on my library account. I will politely but firmly tell them to cancel these fines but I know many old people would be worried about it, my mum wouldn't sleep. My grandmother would worry she was going prison if she paid a bill late.

 

It's a very poor show

Its of no consequence in these current times. You know most staff have been furloughed, thousands have died, and you're bleating about a library fine.

 

Get some perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/10/2020 at 14:48, tzijlstra said:

Our Central Library is a lovely historic building, however it was purpose built for a job that has changed significantly. 

 

Library use has changed dramatically, folks still have this idea that a library is for borrowing books and that is it. Modern libraries offer far more than that, they are community hubs that facilitate interaction for the citizens of the community it serves.

 

This has been understood in more progressive councils and indeed countries - Birmingham, Newcastle, Worcester - all built to fulfil a broader function that appeals to a much more diverse audience than those looking to borrow books. Abroad the most recent example is that of Oodi Helsinki. Replacing a crumbling 1900 building for a state of the art facility in the heart of the city that draws folks into the city centre. 

 

Library managers all over the world know that we (I am one) need better and more fit for purpose facilities to ensure libraries can continue to serve their purpose to their community in a relevant and valuable way. Unfortunately there are people in charge who just look at declining user figures and use that data as a means to shut down libraries. We have already seen a spate of that in Sheffield and it will continue to happen until the council actually unlocks a way to build a facility that appeals more widely and is more fit for purpose. 

I agree with most of this, but would hate to see the Central Library close or moved.

It is purpose built as a library, with the 'stack' underneath the whole of the building temperature and humidity controlled with extra reinforced vaults for valuable and historic books and documents.

It already fulfils several purposes with an art gallery, cafe, theatre, local history and reference libraries, and Citizen's advice centre. Plus there's room for changes  and innovations.

 

It's also a hub for local information, and many clubs and societies, and a local meeting place for people. 

I admit I have not seen Oodi Library in Helsinki, but I have seen other Modern Libraries, and don't think they have as much to offer as Central Library, though I admit it could do with a refit and some modernisation. 

 

I also think it's scandalous that many of  Sheffield's suburban libraries have closed and others staffed by volunteers. Much as I appreciate the volunteers who have selflessly kept many Libraries open, I do think it's time they were properly funded and put on a proper footing. In a civilised, educated, relatively wealthy country Modern Libraries should be valued as the important community hubs they are and should be funded as such.

During Lockdown we have seen the surprisingly large number of people without access to computers, learning materials and books. For them, Local Libraries are a lifeline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong, the Central Library is a gem, purpose-built and very precious, but over time the primary function of libraries has changed, for obvious reasons, so to make sure we offer that new function we have to understand that the old building is very limiting. That doesn't mean the building doesn't have a future, it would make a wonderful museum, it has big bright 'galleries' and the design lends itself to that function. Sheffield Museums have lots of work in storage, so that would be a nice solution - expand the Graves Gallery.  Of course that then would mean that the council needs to fund both the museum AND the new library... but maybe the Lottery could fund the museum?

 

Basically what I'm saying is this: We need to be flexible to preserve and improve the best of what we have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As of last week The Central Library's catalogue disappeared off  the website. We asked at the library but they couldn't tell us why. Anyone know what is happening?

Edited by spilldig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, spilldig said:

As of last week The Central Library's catalogue disappeared off  the website. We asked at the library but they couldn't tell us why. Anyone know what is happening?

I was in my local library at the weekend to drop some books back, and chatting with the librarian was informed that the old website link I might have stored in favourites was no longer the correct one and I should use the new web address

 

https://library.sheffield.gov.uk/client/en_GB/default

 

It's finding stuff from the Central Library, and is a great deal quicker to search.

 

Maybe answers your question?

Edited by Bargepole23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I was in my local library at the weekend to drop some books back, and chatting with the librarian was informed that the old website link I might have stored in favourites was no longer the correct one and I should use the new web address

 

https://library.sheffield.gov.uk/client/en_GB/default

 

It's finding stuff from the Central Library, and is a great deal quicker to search.

 

Maybe answers your question?

Thanks Bargepole, we have now found the new web address.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.