Libraries During Lockdown

Went to Woodseats Library to return books and avoid a fine - closed until further notice. Will there be a moratorium?

p.s. Excellent library, nice staff, good selection. 

Edited by nikki-red

You can renew online if it closed because of Corona I’m sure they will waive the fine it’s not your fault the library is closed.

47 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

You can renew online if it closed because of Corona I’m sure they will waive the fine it’s not your fault the library is closed.

All book return dates are now automatically extended to August, with fines suspended.

Central Library is open, I'm in there now.

hi, I have just checked my account online and the books that I have out have a return date of 01/08/2020. that is a long loan time!

In for the long haul I guess - I received an email saying the same thing.

Repeats on TV possible too. 

Hello  

Anyone   any idea   when the  central library  is re opening  please

It has partly re-opened, but only on certain days/times and only for an order and collect service.

As far as I know you still cannot go and browse in the main part of the library and I would presume that none of the groups are running at the moment.

Our Central Library is a lovely historic building, however it was purpose built for a job that has changed significantly. 

Library use has changed dramatically, folks still have this idea that a library is for borrowing books and that is it. Modern libraries offer far more than that, they are community hubs that facilitate interaction for the citizens of the community it serves.

This has been understood in more progressive councils and indeed countries - Birmingham, Newcastle, Worcester - all built to fulfil a broader function that appeals to a much more diverse audience than those looking to borrow books. Abroad the most recent example is that of Oodi Helsinki. Replacing a crumbling 1900 building for a state of the art facility in the heart of the city that draws folks into the city centre. 

Library managers all over the world know that we (I am one) need better and more fit for purpose facilities to ensure libraries can continue to serve their purpose to their community in a relevant and valuable way. Unfortunately there are people in charge who just look at declining user figures and use that data as a means to shut down libraries. We have already seen a spate of that in Sheffield and it will continue to happen until the council actually unlocks a way to build a facility that appeals more widely and is more fit for purpose. 

Just before the first lockdown I got several books from Manor library then lockdown hit and all libraries closed,the books were renewed by the library until last December as far as I’m aware the library is still closed. I’ve checked my account online today and it says I owe them about £60 as the books are “lost materials “ ?