Fair Play John Fleck.

Many including myself were critical of John Fleck when he made his way back from injury and onto the pitch. I had serious questions to ask about his fitness at the time and I also questioned what I believed to be a 'half hearted' sort of attitude.

It's only in recent days that I have indirectly learnt the true extent of his actual injury and with this, I now sympathise for his and feel somewhat apologetic for the criticism that I gave him.

So for those who didn't know, Flecky actually suffered a vertebrae fracture in his back. You don't have to be a spinal consultant in order to understand the severity of an injury such as this, along with the potential consequences of not managing it correctly.

With this in mind, it's nor surprise that he was perhaps a little 'ginger' in the tackle upon returning to action. An injury like that must have shaken him up and I can totally understand his reluctance to get stuck in for a while.

Anyhow, the last few games we are starting to see a fully committed Flecky again. He's putting himself about again and he's getting stuck into tackles. 

I take my hat off to you anyway Flecky and feel terrible for the criticism. I take my hat off to you for the sheer desire to get back on the pitch and involved so soon.

Are you his relation?

He's one-paced, one-footed, and doesn't score goals.

Flatters to deceive personified.

6 hours ago, cmonkes said:

Many including myself were critical of John Fleck when he made his way back from injury and onto the pitch. I had serious questions to ask about his fitness at the time and I also questioned what I believed to be a 'half hearted' sort of attitude.

It's only in recent days that I have indirectly learnt the true extent of his actual injury and with this, I now sympathise for his and feel somewhat apologetic for the criticism that I gave him.

So for those who didn't know, Flecky actually suffered a vertebrae fracture in his back. You don't have to be a spinal consultant in order to understand the severity of an injury such as this, along with the potential consequences of not managing it correctly.

With this in mind, it's nor surprise that he was perhaps a little 'ginger' in the tackle upon returning to action. An injury like that must have shaken him up and I can totally understand his reluctance to get stuck in for a while.

Anyhow, the last few games we are starting to see a fully committed Flecky again. He's putting himself about again and he's getting stuck into tackles. 

I take my hat off to you anyway Flecky and feel terrible for the criticism. I take my hat off to you for the sheer desire to get back on the pitch and involved so soon.

Thanks for your post.  Irrespective of any thoughts I have about his suitability for our team going forward, it shows the heart, desire and fight for him as an individual, battling against the odds for the team.  Good to hear.

As supporters, we are often ignorant about the many facts about the players who pull the shirt on, before, during or after games.  Similarly, we are quick to give our opinion of players and team selections, without knowing the true situation.

On the other side of the coin, I remember one occasion when a player had been substituted, and as I trudged back home listening to the radio, our manager came on and told all.  The player had hidden an illness from him, and only told him at Half Time.  Needless to say, the player did not enjoy the support of the crowd after that, and didn't last long at The Lane!

Humility Monkes.

Good on yer!

We're all the same, drought today, flood tomorrow.

Good, honest post.

Fleck is a good player. One of our best last seasons. Cant blame him for injuries to other team mates and for the apparent poor application to their trade by players like Mousset.

Fleck's been a fantastic (free) signing for United. The back injury would explain a lot this season.