Laser Eye Treatment

Is it also true that this is not a permanent solution as the eye sight will still degrade over time. Just like glasses you may need a different prescription in the future.

Both my Mrs and her sister had it done ,both were blind as bats without glasses

Both have never looked back and both suffered nothing more than slight itchyness for the first 24 hours or so and both have farly low pain thresholds,they were both prescribed light pain killers by the company that did the work and really both said they could haceve got away without them

The Mrs drives and has some flaring of headlights when night driving but nothing she cant deal with and was made aware of the possibility beforehand.

Having it done has paid for itself by not having to buy specs and contacts

Both would recoomend anyone to have it done and the joy on the Mrs face when she could read say the yext on a fire extiguisher 5 mins after the procedure was worth every penny

Is it also true that this is not a permanent solution as the eye sight will still degrade over time. Just like glasses you may need a different prescription in the future.

When I looked at it in my 20's an optician did say natural deterioration would still occur and I'd need glasses in my 40s.

I have varifocal glasses and im due my eye test at the end of this year. On my last test i was told that i should consder having laser eye surgery the next time i have a test, if i do would my vision be perfect or would i still need reading glasses?

I think PT 's right on that sue my friend was told not to bother having it if she useing "multifocal"which I think are the same as varifocal.

I was thinking of having it done in bangkok on my over to the uk .

quite alot cheaper (about $iooo}but still a good standard(chinese surgeons trained in the US.}

Edited by johncocker

I had it done 4 years ago,

Good bits are,

1. can see with out glasses

2. can go swimming and see

3. seeing the alarm clock at the other side of the bedroom

Bad bits are

1. It took 2 years for my eyes to completely settle,

2. Had to have my right eye redone cos the first time didn't take

3. Had painfully dry eyes constantly for nearly 2 years

4. Had to go back to the shop every week for 6 months

5. Needed eye drops for over 2 years

6. For months after the op I could not focus properly

7. Driving at night is difficult because of halos, which are only just disappering after 4 years

8. Its does costs over £3 grand, haven't met any one yet that has paid less.

9. It took threats of court action for them to redo the surgery after countless complaints saying I could not focus on objects.

10. The second op is very painfull, and effectivly leaves you blind for about a week, and then theres the recovery that takes time, with the same problems as above.

All in all, best thing I ever did BUT I would never do it again, try contacts first.

sounds terrible ,I think you should have sue'd them.

I suppose age is a factor too

When I looked at it in my 20's an optician did say natural deterioration would still occur and I'd need glasses in my 40s.

This always gets trotted out as a reason for not having eyes lasered. It's kind of true but confusing cos there's a difference between needing reading glasses and needing glasses for just about everything!

Everyone will have problems seing small print from about mid 40's onwards due to loss of elasticity in the eye. Hence needing glasses for reading (or bifocals/varifocals if you already need glasses for distance vision).

Having awful eyesight myself I can tell you there's a hell of difference between needing glasses just to read and not being able to see anything clearly a few inches from your face without correction!!

I'm perfectly happy with contacts and can't afford surgery anyway but I can certainly understand why people consider it.

My major reason (other than cost) for not wanting to have mine done are that with my prescription I'm not guaranteed, or even very likely to get a very good correction, despite correcting to 6:4 in both eyes with glasses.

If you combine that with me being at the very high end of the amount that would need to be removed by the laser and my corneas being comparatively thin, that makes me at the highest end of getting complications from the procedure, including intraocular pressure problems in later life. Some of my family have, or had, glaucoma, meaning that I'm at a high risk of developing problems with that later on in my life anyway, so if I was to have my eyes lasered it would be on the understanding that I'm the least likely to get a good correction and the most likely to have complications.

Until or unless those odds change then that is enough to put me off, despite my sister having fabulous vision now.

my mum had it done 3 years ago and sez it's the best thing she's done

I had mine done just over four years ago. Never looked back (bu-bum)!

Everyone has a different expetience though. My previoius prescription meant that I was a good candidate (straight forward short sightedness, same presecription both eyes). I went for the highest-specification treatment, and it cost about £3k at the time I think.

But worth every penny. I can see the alarm clock, go swimming etc, but best of all, I can just wake up in a morning and get on with things. No scrabbling around for specs, no messing about with contact lenses, no pratting about on holiday, no swapping about of prescription sunspecs, no eye check-ups for contact lenses every 5 minutes.

I experienced very little discomfort after the procedure and made sure I went home and got a good sleep. My sight was tested the day after, and I could drive straight after the checkup. They did take a couple of days to settle down completely though, to the degree that I could cope with a full day's work sitting at a screen, so I'd advise booking yourself a day or two off work if you do go ahead.

Likely I'll need reading glasses at some time, but as someone has already said, needing reading glasses doesn't impact on your life half as much as needing them to do absolutely everything.

I would talk face to face with as many people who have had the procedure as you can, there's a lot of mis-information and hearsay about (I was encouraged by the number of people who worked for the opticians who had had it done).

Just wondering whether to have this done would appreciate any info does it work where to go and how long if it works does it last?..

ive had it.....the procedure is a bit horrific but was worth it.

had mine done 5 years ago..

worth every penny

go for it!!

I have a friend who had hers done and she says it's the best thing she ever did!