Wasps Already?

Just heading up to bed and found a wasp on the stairs. Managed to catch it in a glass and release it outside, it seemed quite big and docile. Thought it seemed a bit early in the year for them.

Does it mean a queen is scouting our house for a possible nest location? Is there anything I can do to deter them if so?

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Seen a few big bees around the garden.

Was it definitely a wasp and not a Honey Bee? They tend to be around a little bit earlier than wasps.

When is wasp season?

April – October (dependant on weather conditions that year)

Queen wasps hibernate during the winter months and emerge in spring to begin building a nest. Queens lay eggs that hatch into sterile female workers. The workers take over the nest building and food collection while the queen continues egg laying. In spring and early summer the workers collect mainly insects to feed the growing larvae. Towards the end of summer, some eggs develop into fertile male wasps called drones and fertile females which become next years queens. At the end of the summer, the queens go into hibernation and the colony dissolves.

From https://www.coventry.gov.uk/info/262/pest_control/3307/wasp_season

Not sure to be honest, could have been a bee I suppose. I didn't have my glasses on and was tired... was just shocked to see something this early in the year. 

Why the hostility toward wasps?

Have you got stang off a wasp, to use the Viz parlance ?