Strange events at Redmires

Firstly please don't think that I am trying to have a laugh with what I am about to say....

A few weeks ago, my sister and some of her mates were up at Redmires one evening - as it is a amazing view to look at the sunset going down. They stayed there for around 2 hours just chilling out and enjoying the evening so by the time they were ready to start making a move it was dark. They set off walking along the road round the damn back. Just as they had approached the bit in the road where there is the bridge under the road they startred to here strange noises coming from in the wood - she said it was like a whailing,crying noise (she doesn't belive in all that ghost stuff so I know she aint lying) They ignored it at first but it seemed to be moving around in the woods - so basically the legged it back to where the car was parked. Then when they got to the clearing where the car was there was a car parked up with a young guy slumped over the wheel appeared to be crying. obviously this scared the pants off them and they sat in the car with the doors locked.

A few years before I had been up here at night ang got a VERY strange feeling from the place...

Has anyone else had any not very nice experiences up here?

Hey D,

I can't say I have every has such an experience up at Redmires but I have to say that there is a really strange vibe up there. I'm usually quite good at picking up on these things and every time i'm there I don't feel quite comfortable. It's not anything to so with the bleakness of the place as i'm quite at home in the moors but Redmires really makes me feel perculiar.

M

It can be a beautiful place (infact, one of my most favourite places on earth) but it can be a very eerie place also. Fact is, that it's a haven for wildlife and as it gets dark those noises are going to sound louder and nearer.

I haven't experienced any 'events' myself so to speak, but the area does have quite a fascinating history with its connections to the Sheffield Lads who trained on the moors prior to literally being sent to their deaths in the trenches during World War I. An aerial view illustrates where trenches were dug around the dams.

Then there's the former isolation hospital which is now a housing estate. It became a POW camp and there have been stories of an aircraft crashing into the hospital (these have all been covered on the forum).

On a more worrying note, it's a good place to end it all. Many a time I've been up there and noticed bent railings and tyre marks beside the top dam. Could either be idiots rolling stolen cars into the water or a suicide attempt.

But you're definitely right: the area has a sense of unease about it, something sinister lurking amongst the natural beauty of the place. Either that or the Kelham Island Pale Rider in the Three Merry Lads is in good nick.

EDIT: The guy sat in the car. Was he parked in the area up at the top dam, or down at Wyming Brook? Which bridge are you referring to? The one at the top dam (a river meets the reservoir here beside a plug shaped overflow) or the stone bridge down at Wyming Brook?

On a more worrying note, it's a good place to end it all. Many a time I've been up there and noticed bent railings and tyre marks beside the top dam. Could either be idiots rolling stolen cars into the water or a suicide attempt.

Yep, I go running up there early morning, quite often see a police car checking the place out.

Yep, I go running up there early morning, quite often see a police car checking the place out.

We must have passed on many an occasion. It's my favourite place to go for a run.

I'm the knackered looking fella who slows down at the Three Merry Lads and Sportsman in hope that either place is open for some much needed refreshment.

(I'm actually more worried running past the gypsy camp than confronting any spooks up by the dams!)

Hey D,

I can't say I have every has such an experience up at Redmires but I have to say that there is a really strange vibe up there. I'm usually quite good at picking up on these things and every time i'm there I don't feel quite comfortable. It's not anything to so with the bleakness of the place as i'm quite at home in the moors but Redmires really makes me feel perculiar.

M

exactly- its a very odd place with it being bang next to the moors and i remember once a few years ago we were up there and my dad told me about the ghosts of the soldiers and that plane that is meant to fly over. apparently many ppl have repeorted hearin the noise of a plane directly above them right on the top near stanage pole but have seen no plane. and once my dad was up there at night (being the mad ead he is) and him and his pals could hear very very heavy marching footsteps coming right up behind them

this was a creepy thing that happend i have just remebered. my mate lives on a farm just near there and as kids do we went for a walk at night to cause a bit of mischeif (i was about 12) and we took tourches with us. i dont know if any of you know where i mean but just near to the little bridge on redmires there is like a little stone shelter- just on the edge of the woods. it was pitch black so we decided to take a look and we went inside and scrawled all over the walls were horrible death threats and sick comments about ppl that have died there and there was also a sleeping bag WE LEGGED IT BACK DOWN THAT ROAD!!

The guy was parked apparentely up near what I call the top bridge with the overflow underneath.

The times I have been up there and not felt a stragge vibe are rare - eg on a boiling hot day in summer.

Just been chatting to my mate who was up there with my sis and she said exactly the same thing as her. The were all very shaken up by this as it really seemed that whatever was making the noise was moving slowly through the forest. I am assured it was not an owl.

My dad said to me that it is not the sought of place even he would walk on an evening close to dark and he is a tough guy.

The most worrying aspect of this for me is the guy sat in the car was obviously distressed.There must be some connection as the place where they heard the noises had a path leading directly from the road to it....

In this day and age could it be just down to the fact that we are surrounded by noise all the time. Cars, mobile phones, TV’s, etc that when we do find a place without so much going on we become ill at ease because of the lack of noise etc. It seems to me (and trust me I am the worst for all of the above) that we don’t stop and smell the roses enough.

Sit on a hill on your own for a while look at nature then let your imagination take over screaming in woods?? Not just a couple of kids out to spook you? Kid hanging over car maybe got up set? Someone died? And needed a little space. there are simple answers to most things.

Ever had that cold wind blow through you and suddenly you feel "all alone" its probably because you are. we are not used to being without ambient noise or even people and buildings around us anymore...

P.S....

BOO!

In this day and age could it be just down to the fact that we are surrounded by noise all the time. Cars, mobile phones, TV’s, etc that when we do find a place without so much going on we become ill at ease because of the lack of noise etc. It seems to me (and trust me I am the worst for all of the above) that we don’t stop and smell the roses enough.

Sit on a hill on your own for a while look at nature then let your imagination take over screaming in woods?? Not just a couple of kids out to spook you? Kid hanging over car maybe got up set? Someone died? And needed a little space. there are simple answers to most things.

Ever had that cold wind blow through you and suddenly you feel "all alone" its probably because you are. we are not used to being without ambient noise or even people and buildings around us anymore...

P.S....

BOO!

this is so true. i admit i am the worst for being in on my own in the house. i have to have tv,or music on otherwise i feel slightly spooked. i agree these days people should take more time out to appreciate natural surroundings hahaha!! it just gives u a little bit of time to think and to realise that life is not just about big bro, gettin ****** and what ur other half is up to!!

redmires is an eery place and its just the sort of location that u see on crime scenes. i do have a morbid fascination with things like this! apparently it is also very bad for car crashes cos ppl drive like at 100 mph up that rd all the way from lodge moor. the same mate i have that lives up there said they have had ppl screamin and bangin on the door in the dead of night to say sum1 has been injures. she once said that she was lyin in bed and actually heard cars go screamin past with music bangin out and ppl shoutin then the next minute heard a massive bang and crash and ppl screamin and cryng and she looke dout the window and 2 cars has crashed head to head (this was probly in the news) and next minut she heard wailing noises and cryin and there was a lad runin down the middle of the road bleedin to **** and he ran str8 into their driveway, banged on the door and collapsed uncouncious when they let him in. 3 of his mated dead. that really spooked me

Valid points Cavellsuk.

It really is a place where you can be alone, although in truth you're not as you are surrounded by animals in their natural habitat. You are correct. Sit and listen and appreciate the peace and get away from all that noise that has become such a nuisance in our lives.

What amazes me is that when I've gone running up there, I go because it's so quiet and you can truly be on your own. Then, I pass a fellow runner who has an MP3 or IPod plugged into his or her ears.

I run along thinking: why? Just enjoy the peaceful surroundings, inhale the fresh air and feel good!!

Wailing and crying? Probably a vixen on heat.

Valid points Cavellsuk.

It really is a place where you can be alone, although in truth you're not as you are surrounded by animals in their natural habitat. You are correct. Sit and listen and appreciate the peace and get away from all that noise that has become such a nuisance in our lives.

What amazes me is that when I've gone running up there, I go because it's so quiet and you can truly be on your own. Then, I pass a fellow runner who has an MP3 or IPod plugged into his or her ears.

I run along thinking: why? Just enjoy the peaceful surroundings, inhale the fresh air and feel good!!

i mean u can still be a good time girl/ guy and do this sort of thing! i am a madhead clubber/ pubber etc but i also love getting out int't countryside which isnt hard for me as i live in it. im very lucky to live in sheffas i think cos it has the best of both worlds. some beautiful views/ walks etc. i recon if everyone did a bit more of it there would be less stress/ illness around! :)