Undercover Police To Patrol Streets.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Even the traffic wardens no longer wear hi-vis in Leeds; that seems to go counter to logic to me. Police and traffic wardens are a deterrant, but only if people think they patrol the streets.

So, to sum up, after an attack and murder of a women (possibly by a policeman), the police get more powers, and demands from the public for more police on the streets are met with assurances that they will be there but not in uniform (convenient - so we can't say they aren't there!).  Oh, and in a time where the crime rate is down (due to many of us being in lockdown at home, nightclubs closed etc),  my Council Tax bill is up again, and the biggest component rise is 7.6% for the Police!

We are a relative unpoliced society with about half the number of officers as say Netherlands,France or Germany.

Post(s) have been removed because they could be considered to breach our Terms of Service or Forum Rules.  Some of the posts were in the quote chains that could not stay because of the original post that was removed.

If there are reports of street harrasment in particular areas then undercover patrols seem entirely appropriate.

The world will never be rid of out and out cranks and that is a fact, some would argue that as a society we are creating more, but what a lot of the usual commentators often fail to mention or maybe deliberately oversee, is that while ever as a society we seek to excuse, or allow bad behaviour and a general lack of respect to flourish amongst 'some' of our children, things will not improve. My better half has spent the last 20 years working as a classroom assistant in a Sheffield primary school, most of it with children with behavioral problems, some of the physical assaults and foul mouthed tirades she has endured, from children under the age of 10 and the stories she has told me, make me wonder what these kids are going to be like when they are adults.

As an 'old school' member of society I was physically punished as a child by my parents and by my teachers when I did wrong, that was the way, I was taught to be respectful and to only use violence as a means of self defence, I grew up with brothers and we fought often and sometimes violently, but I have never gone out to insult, injure or assault anyone that I didn't know on the streets, unless it was in self defence and neither have they.

I brought my own children up and disciplined them, I believe that when it is done in the right way at an a appropriate level it is an effective tool, but I would guess that many of those crying out for 'harsher' sentences today would probably excuse some of those ill disciplined children mentioned earlier, and I find that a little strange and hypocritical.

I have now got grand children who can't and won't be disciplined the way we were, but I won't be around to see the results of the liberal modern day corrective methods, that are clearly making everything so much better than it used to be (cough cough).

Allowing young people to grow up with little or no respect for others is at the heart of the problem, so just giving people harsher prison sentences will not necessarily lead to improvement in the future, we have seen it has not worked well in other areas already, nipping behavioral problems in the bud while they are young seems more of an appropriate 'long term' action to me, and yes I know there are no perfect solutions and I doubt there ever will be.

Edited by Michael_W

5 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

The world will never be rid of out and out cranks and that is a fact, some would argue that as a society we are creating more, but what a lot of the usual commentators often fail to mention or maybe deliberately oversee, is that while ever as a society we seek to excuse, or allow bad behaviour and a general lack of respect to flourish amongst 'some' of our children, things will not improve. My better half has spent the last 20 years working as a classroom assistant in a Sheffield primary school, most of it with children with behavioral problems, some of the physical assaults and foul mouthed tirades she has endured, from children under the age of 10 and the stories she has told me, make me wonder what these kids are going to be like when they are adults.

As an 'old school' member of society I was physically punished as a child by my parents and by my teachers when I did wrong, that was the way, I was taught to be respectful and to only use violence as a means of self defence, I grew up with brothers and we fought often and sometimes violently, but I have never gone out to insult, injure or assault anyone that I didn't know on the streets, unless it was in self defence and neither have they.

I brought my own children up and disciplined them, I believe that when it is done in the right way at an a appropriate level it is an effective tool, but I would guess that many of those crying out for 'harsher' sentences today would probably excuse some of those ill disciplined children mentioned earlier, and I find that a little strange and hypocritical.

I have now got grand children who can't and won't be disciplined the way we were, but I won't be around to see the results of the liberal modern day corrective methods, that are clearly making everything so much better than it used to be (cough cough).

Allowing young people to grow up with little or no respect for others is at the heart of the problem, so just giving people harsher prison sentences will not necessarily lead to improvement in the future, we have seen it has not worked well in other areas already, nipping behavioral problems in the bud while they are young seems more of an appropriate 'long term' action to me, and yes I know there are no perfect solutions and I doubt there ever will be.

It's one of those posts when, imho, you're both dead right and dead wrong. The olden times had plenty of rapes and murders. Misogyny was standard too. How old were you when women took to the streets about protection from the Yorkshire ripper? They were told to stay indoors then as well.

Education though - as you point out  - is the key - long term anyway.

On 17/03/2021 at 09:29, coop said:

Perhaps if the police responded to reports of  flashers, rather than ignoring them, then they could stop the perpetrators progressing to other more serious assaults.

Good point. Clearly flashers do progress to commit more serious crimes.

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

Good point. Clearly flashers do progress to commit more serious crimes.

We now live in a society where failure of police and courts to take action on "minor" crime, many believe that they can get away with minor & serious crime ... and aren't wrong.

You know I have a very good friend who used to work as a bouncer years ago at very dangerous pubs and nightclubs across Uk...

He told me that he was invited to attercliffe police station in Sheffield for a meeting because he wanted to become the pub manager at a pub on the Manor....

As the meeting took place the high ranking police officer asked him we see your car outside these unsavoury pubs and clubs but they never request police to attend how do you do it he turned round and said....

"I make sure everyone can see me constantly"....

In short the police need to get back to walking the beat and to be visible at all times !!!!.....

Hopefully they'll start in places like Rotherham,  Rochdale etc, police know what's going on in these places and still don't act!

Edited by pintor

1 hour ago, pintor said:

Hopefully they'll start in places like Rotherham,  Rochdale etc, police know what's going on in these places and still don't act!

Give over. If they went after the real leaders of it all the commanders would be exposed. 

How many peados have been given a slapped wrist by one particular judge in South Yorkshire recently. Yet no-one at SYP or the CPS thinks this suspicious....

On 17/03/2021 at 07:50, Mister M said:

My concerns about this proposal are that men who want to attack women using fake police IDs to secure the confidence of women who are vulnerable into attacking them. 

Also the police themselves hardly have a sparkling record when it comes to covert undercover operations; i.e. infiltrating various groups who are perceived as 'threats' (whatever they are); forming relationships with them under false presences, impregnating them then moving on, leaving the women and babies with no idea who they are.

This idea of undercover police to patrol streets just hasn't been thought through I don't think.

Further information published in today's Guardian 

Revealed: the grim list of sex abuse claims against Metropolitan police | Metropolitan police | The Guardian

Truly appalling.