Thorntons To Close All Shops

41 minutes ago, WeltonJane said:

No doubt the Thornton's cafes will also be closing leaving Starbucks and Costa to dominate the market.

I doubt that Thorntons cafes were ever any sort of threat to the mass market coffee conglomerates.  In fact I can only think of one branch off the top of my head and that was in Scarborough.

I would say the more realistic competition to the americanized coffee shops is the rising trend and popularity of bespoke, artisan, hipster independent coffee shops. You only have to look around Sheffield to see how many there are.

Even at it's peak, Thorntons cafes really didn't get a look in the challenge either of those two extreme ends of the spectrum

Edited by ECCOnoob

There was a few Thornton’s cafes in the Newcastle area but I’m sure they are all closed.  The one in the Eldon Square shopping centre Newcastle closed about six years ago, then the shop closed not long after.  

You use to get a free chocolate when you bought a hot drink in the cafe.

19 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I doubt that Thorntons cafes were ever any sort of threat to the mass market coffee conglomerates.  In fact I can only think of one branch off the top of my head and that was in Scarborough.

I would say the more realistic competition to the americanized coffee shops is the rising trend and popularity of bespoke, artisan, hipster independent coffee shops. You only have to look around Sheffield to see how many there are.

Even at it's peak, Thorntons cafes really didn't get a look in the challenge either of those two extreme ends of the spectrum

There's one in the centre of Bakewell.

Thorntons has, for some time, been owned by Ferrero Rocher, a large international company.  I don't think the concept of small shops fits in with the way the company operates.  I'm guessing that covid has provided the excuse they were looking for to close them down.

We're fast becoming too dependant on technology and the internet. It's all going to end in tears.

2 minutes ago, Jericho1 said:

We're fast becoming too dependant on technology and the internet. It's all going to end in tears.

So long as Ferrero can supply their Rochers for the ambassador’s reception, we’ll be right. ‘A sign of good taste.’

On 06/04/2021 at 15:54, Jericho1 said:

La Scala (Milan) and wedding cakes end in tiers, too.

1 minute ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

La Scala (Milan) and wedding cakes end in tiers, too.

Boom boom , here all week Jeffrey!

Regards,

Duffems