Thorntons To Close All Shops

the only good thing about this is we can still buy ,this great product,but its awfull for all those staff,covid 19 has a lot to answer for.

Fargate will resemble a ghost town before long. Thomas Cook gone, Office gone, Topman gone, Carphone Warehouse gone, River Island gone, Paperchase going, and now Thorntons.

There's only M&S, Boots, WHSmiths, some coffee shops, opticians and banks. 

I just hope when this pandemic is over, people will stop buying online and stop shopping at Meadowhall.

14 hours ago, Mister M said:

I just hope when this pandemic is over, people will stop buying online and stop shopping at Meadowhall.

I don't think that will happen, on line buying is here to stay like it or loathe it and people will always go to Meadowhall.

I really think the Town centre is dying a Death

1 hour ago, Cycleracer said:

I don't think that will happen, on line buying is here to stay like it or loathe it and people will always go to Meadowhall.

I really think the Town centre is dying a Death

Well, then when it's gone all those people who will no doubt moan about Sheffield City Centre being 'dead' will be able to console themselves that if they shopped online and at Meadowhall, then they were part of the problem.

Edited by Mister M

11 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Well, then when it's gone all those people who will no doubt moan about Sheffield City Centre being 'dead' will be able to console themselves that if they shopped online and at Meadowhall, then they were part of the problem.

You only have to look at photos from the 40's to the 70's to see that the city centre has been dying for years even before online shopping became popular.

It used to be such a busy, vibrant place but the council discouraged motorists from coming and are still doing the same.

When most people have electric cars, there will still be no hope because they are pedestrianising every road so there is nowhere for cars to go except around in circles.
I stopped going to town probably 8 or 10 years ago and no, I don't buy online and I don't go to Meadowhell, but town is too much hassle with too many roads blocked.

Only the people who work there, keep the place going and there are less and less of them as the councils policies bite.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

You only have to look at photos from the 40's to the 70's to see that the city centre has been dying for years even before online shopping became popular.

It used to be such a busy, vibrant place but the council discouraged motorists from coming and are still doing the same.

When most people have electric cars, there will still be no hope because they are pedestrianising every road so there is nowhere for cars to go except around in circles.
I stopped going to town probably 8 or 10 years ago and no, I don't buy online and I don't go to Meadowhell, but town is too much hassle with too many roads blocked.

Only the people who work there, keep the place going and there are less and less of them as the councils policies bite.

'The council discouraging motorists' is a complaint I hear about frequently, (from car divers funnily enough). Leeds and Manchester, 2 cities that I know about are pursuing similar policies with regards to their city centres. Yet their centres are and were thriving before the pandemic. So 'The council discouraging motorists' is a red herring, I think

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

'The council discouraging motorists' is a complaint I hear about frequently, (from car divers funnily enough). Leeds and Manchester, 2 cities that I know about are pursuing similar policies with regards to their city centres. Yet their centres are and were thriving before the pandemic. So 'The council discouraging motorists' is a red herring, I think

I definitely  know that that it was the council who discouraged me from going to town with the never ending bus gates, road closures, pedestrianisations etc.

I have better things to do than drive around in circles to get somewhere I can see  200 yards away with a traffic light stop every few yards.

Not helped at all by the fact that they throw large sums of money on small areas whilst the majority of the city looks like Beirut, complete with empty shops and grafiti etc.

I used to be in the city centre every day and enjoyed every minute of it but videos and photos prove how much it has changed.

If you disagree with my reason for this, then maybe you could give us your view on why the city centre HAS DIED,  (not dying).

i love greggs and have the tummy to back it up,but sad loss of thorntons,think we will end up with more flats,might lose cole brothers as well.

Guest busdriver1

We are heading to a city centre with housing. That means then that the only viable businesses will be sandwich shops for office workers and takeaways for students. 

All major retail will move out of town or online creating in effect new smaller town centres elsewhere like meadowhall etc. A bit of a reversal.