Relocating To Sheffield - Area Recommendations

Hi all, 

I am looking to buy a house in Sheffield and I don't know where to start. 

We don't want to be to be too far from the city centre and need a good school catchment area. 

Walking distance to local shops/transport would be great too. 

Our maximum budget is £300k. 

Any recommendations will be appreciated. 

Thanks so much! 

There are many threads on your subject. I would recommend using the search facility  using terms such as good schools , good areas moving to Sheffield etc.

You could then come back with more specific questions, good luck on your hunt.

12 hours ago, Luna01 said:

Hi all, 

I am looking to buy a house in Sheffield and I don't know where to start. 

We don't want to be to be too far from the city centre and need a good school catchment area. 

Walking distance to local shops/transport would be great too. 

Our maximum budget is £300k. 

Any recommendations will be appreciated. 

Thanks so much! 

Good catchment areas are some parts of Crookes, Greystones, fullwood, dore, lodge moor (roughly speaking start at crookes and follow the city round anticlockwise until you get to the other cut off of the good catchment areas). Other areas have pretty bad secondary schools, so are to be avoided if you need that. If too expensive I know a number of people who moved to Oughtibridge and Dronfield (neither are in Sheffield) to get cheaper housing with good schools due to the "priced out" effect hitting many people now.

you might get a terraced house in a good catchment area in Sheffield, semis start at around 300k even in the cheaper areas of good catchment areas nowadays (e.g crookes). Note in Sheffield, the asking price is the starting price to bid against other buyers. Its very common (unlike the rest of England) that you will often need to pay over the asking price for a good house. So don't look at houses priced at the top end of your budget.

Anywhere west of the A61 is essentially desirable if you have the cash. Usually the better areas, better schools etc, although accessibility and transport is often lacking. There are certain exceptions to this rule such as Low Edges, Sharrow, Broomhall, Upperthorpe, Stannington (around Roscoe Bank) and Fox Hill.

The further east you go towards Rotherham or north towards Barnsley, the cheaper you tend to find properties and get more house for your money.

Edited by Michael_N

10 hours ago, Thorpist said:

There are many threads on your subject. I would recommend using the search facility  using terms such as good schools , good areas moving to Sheffield etc.

You could then come back with more specific questions, good luck on your hunt.

Thank you - I will use the search feature for previous posts. 

9 hours ago, nightrider said:

Good catchment areas are some parts of Crookes, Greystones, fullwood, dore, lodge moor (roughly speaking start at crookes and follow the city round anticlockwise until you get to the other cut off of the good catchment areas). Other areas have pretty bad secondary schools, so are to be avoided if you need that. If too expensive I know a number of people who moved to Oughtibridge and Dronfield (neither are in Sheffield) to get cheaper housing with good schools due to the "priced out" effect hitting many people now.

you might get a terraced house in a good catchment area in Sheffield, semis start at around 300k even in the cheaper areas of good catchment areas nowadays (e.g crookes). Note in Sheffield, the asking price is the starting price to bid against other buyers. Its very common (unlike the rest of England) that you will often need to pay over the asking price for a good house. So don't look at houses priced at the top end of your budget.

Thank you so much, this is super helpful to know. 

Really surprised how expensive it can get to find a house in desired area. 

5 hours ago, Michael_N said:

Anywhere west of the A61 is essentially desirable if you have the cash. Usually the better areas, better schools etc, although accessibility and transport is often lacking. There are certain exceptions to this rule such as Low Edges, Sharrow, Broomhall, Upperthorpe, Stannington (around Roscoe Bank) and Fox Hill.

The further east you go towards Rotherham or north towards Barnsley, the cheaper you tend to find properties and get more house for your money.

Thank you - Stannington looks lovely, I will research in to the other areas too. 

I am going through the same process but I found that most good schools are full.   I am looking to rent first then decide where to buy in the future but rental market is going mental, they all get let within days and all decent houses are sold within 2 weeks at or above asking price in desirable areas.   Or anything needs doing up would be sold way above asking price.   😭😭😭.

I am thinking of Nether Edge area,  it sounds a bit mixed being on the edge of good and bad areas. 

I am trying to find out why Nether Edge primary school's standards have dropped so much.   It used to be an outstanding school with good student progress back in 2015 but the 2019 results for that school looks really bad.   I wonder if it is the SATs measurements that have changed?  I think this school might have places available out of all decent areas. 

Anyway good luck with your search.   I just thought I will share my house hunting experience with you.  

15 hours ago, CS0205 said:

I am going through the same process but I found that most good schools are full.   I am looking to rent first then decide where to buy in the future but rental market is going mental, they all get let within days and all decent houses are sold within 2 weeks at or above asking price in desirable areas.   Or anything needs doing up would be sold way above asking price.   😭😭😭.

Unfortunately yes. Seems a lot of people moving to Sheffield because they can work from home and don't need to be near work anymore and Sheffield is cheaper than down south. But the effect is its making it too expensive for people who actually do work here.

15 hours ago, CS0205 said:

I am thinking of Nether Edge area,  it sounds a bit mixed being on the edge of good and bad areas. 

yes its a mix - towards the eccleshall road area is generally better than the part towards abbeydale road. 

Personally, given the choice... I would not move to Sheffield :)

But that's just me..

19 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Personally, given the choice... I would not move to Sheffield :)

But that's just me..

why not and where would you move in preference?

On 16/03/2021 at 18:09, CS0205 said:

I am trying to find out why Nether Edge primary school's standards have dropped so much.   It used to be an outstanding school with good student progress back in 2015 but the 2019 results for that school looks really bad.   I wonder if it is the SATs measurements that have changed?  I think this school might have places available out of all decent areas. 

Anyway good luck with your search.   I just thought I will share my house hunting experience with you.  

Thank you for sharing your experience! The housing market is crazy at the moment. Everytime I try to book for a viewing, they are either fully booked or when you do view, there are already 3 to 5 offers already placed. It's very stressful! 

Sorry to butt in..but I'm in a similar position...

Any thoughts on Woodseats?..some quite nice looking houses with parking but I don't know the area.

Thanks