Burning Dvds To Usb

As title says what good software / hardware is there to convert my prerecorded original dvds to usb sticks.  

You don't convert to USB sticks, you'll convert to a video format and then keep them on a USB stick.

By pre-recorded do you mean movies/TV shows etc that you've bought? Or your own recordings? For unencrypted stuff like your own stuff then try MakeMKV, it will allow you to select the title and also choose which subtitles, language etc you want to copy. This will create an mkv file which will be an exact copy of that title.

If you don't mind re-encoding then something like Handbrake will do as you want.

As probedb says it depends on the format you are starting off with but for "conventional" dvd format I always save as mpg format , the same as used in the dvd files (vob) most early players ( i have a cheap and rather old DVD player that has usb slot which can only play this format) the files won't be as small but less loss and more likely to work if you take it some where else to play it ie. a friend house.

If it is conventional DVD  You can just save as a DVD in a folder ( explore DVD and save all the files to a named folder - that to me is a bit messy you get a few files you don't need).

There is a lot of software that can do it as no encoding changes required, i still use or at least used up to a few years ago, (i have saved all my stuff i wanted to save),  dvd shrink and clone dvd that came with a DVD burner about 20 years ago, does or at least did the job for me and very easy to use as no complicated bells and whistles menus to negotiate. 

The last videos i have saved were from my cctv which had to have the format changed which i did with VLC player, i think a bit slow but its what i was using to view and the files weren't very big.

What type of file you save them as is personal choice but the amount of bytes per £ you get on hard drives now doesn't really necessitate more highly compressed and less versatile video.

If you have a desktop/tower PC pick up a second hand hard drive for peanuts(so long as you keep the originals if it dies prematurely not the end of the world) and chuck it in - it will not be worked very hard like the os drive so should last for years, some of mine are more than 15years old and still working fine. If you only have laptop then an external hard drive is still a good idea for storage to me, our tv can now play a video from the pc or networked drive over the ethernet or wifi. In the kitchen i have the pc connected to the old "dumb" tv via hdmi cable so we can watch an old holiday vid, you tube etc or catch up straight on that which is how we watch most of our saved video.

I am no "expert" in the world of digital video but that's how i have saved and use mine.

Another vote for Handbrake.  But personally I would just find online torrents of DVDs I already own.  You could have them downloaded in minutes.

If anyone cares, DVDs are in Mpeg-2/H.262 format, which is very inefficient compared to Mpeg-4 (AVC)/H.264 and newer codecs (HEVC/H.265 is about half the size of H.264).

So unless you are ripping a file as MPEG2, you are encoding it into something different so might as well just use Handbrake and choose a suitable pre-set.

14 hours ago, probedb said:

You don't convert to USB sticks, you'll convert to a video format and then keep them on a USB stick.

By pre-recorded do you mean movies/TV shows etc that you've bought? Or your own recordings? For unencrypted stuff like your own stuff then try MakeMKV, it will allow you to select the title and also choose which subtitles, language etc you want to copy. This will create an mkv file which will be an exact copy of that title.

If you don't mind re-encoding then something like Handbrake will do as you want.

Yes it’s dvds I’ve bought.    Want to watch them in my wagon but don’t want to carry loads of dvds hence putting them on usb sticks 

I am sorry, but Officially it is illegal to rip a Protected DVD or BluRay, which this would fall under.. and discussing such illegal matters is against forum policy..

I have closed this thread as a result...

Here is an article explaining it a little more..
https://www.ebuyer.com/blog/2013/11/is-ripping-a-dvd-legal/

Edited by Ghozer