120 Yr Old Sheffield Signal Box To Be Demolished.

Network rail said there was no cost benefit to retaining the redundant signal box at Beighton.

Work on the line is scheduled to be completed by 21st March. There is probably not much time left for enthusiasts to view it before demolition.

The signalling for the area will be undertaken by a centre in York.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-56385696

Could they not just mothball it and preserve it for posterity ?  I'm sure that stuff like that would be fascinating for people in future generations.

38 minutes ago, Janus said:

Network rail said there was no cost benefit to retaining the redundant signal box at Beighton.

Work on the line is scheduled to be completed by 21st March. There is probably not much time left for enthusiasts to view it before demolition.

The signalling for the area will be undertaken by a centre in York.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-56385696

It was demolished this morning.

Edited by nikki-red

31 minutes ago, Magneteer said:

Could they not just mothball it and preserve it for posterity ?  I'm sure that stuff like that would be fascinating for people in future generations.

It would probably become a target for the current generation's rogues and vagabonds.

I'm not sure how fascinating future generations would find a pile of spray painted ashes.

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

It would probably become a target for the current generation's rogues and vagabonds.

I'm not sure how fascinating future generations would find a pile of spray painted ashes.

Exactly, it would just become a running bill for security and repair costs.

There's probably a replica of an old signal box at a museum somewhere anyway.

2 hours ago, Magneteer said:

I feel they are nice nostalgic `buildings`. It is very unlikely that any more will be built.

There was certainly demand for the one in the article below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-55942965

Edited by Janus
Link

why was it not taken down and taken to a museum?

They could have done something different bassett. It's quite shameful to just bulldoze something like that. 

If the fate of that signal box was publicised early enough it would have been a different outcome. I'm sure someone with a bit of land and the financial means would have bought that. It would have been a real talking point...... especially by the neighbours LOL

I seem to recall Jeremy Clarkson had a military jet on his property. 

Edited by Janus

50 minutes ago, Janus said:

I seem to recall Jeremy Clarkson had a military jet on his property. 

Only for the TV show, it was moved on very quickly! Planning permission for something the size of Beighton box would probably be difficult to obtain anyway. Although the box was demolished, I wonder if the equipment inside was salvaged? 

2 hours ago, Lemmy117 said:

Although the box was demolished, I wonder if the equipment inside was salvaged? 

Good point. Some railway memorabilia fetches very high prices. Prices in the thousands for some of the stuff.

If they had made it known what was going to happen and offered it for sale, maybe someone or perhaps a heritage railway society may have bought it.

12 hours ago, iansheff said:

If they had made it known what was going to happen and offered it for sale, maybe someone or perhaps a heritage railway society may have bought it.

Thousands of boxes have been closed and hundreds remain.

Heritage railways have already earmarked  and have or will removed the best.

Sheffield Power Signal Box was closed in 2016 with control being moved to York.

The planning for the closure of Beighton Station, Woodhouse Junction et  box is part of the resignalling began in 2014.

Anything reusable is taken by the railway.

The contents of the boxes are offered to the National Railway Museum but are rarely unique enough.

Demolition contractors are  obliged to sort and recycle and item.

For more information on these and other boxes view signalboxes.com