Meadowhead Roundabout And Traffic Problems

I know there's other threads on this roundabout but not sure if they are to do with the old lay out.

I must have bad luck because nearly everytime i enter the roundabout from the audi garage/bochum parkway side to go straight over I get cut up by someone from the left hand lane who then decides they want to go straight.

Anyone else experience this?

Edited by nikki-red

Hi MuteWitness. Use that roundabout on a regular basis, it's a nightmare you will agree. What can I say other than a great deal of care is needed.

Patience when entering the roundabout, then around or through quickly where ever which way you are going.  We are stuck with it, an under / over  pass would be too expensive. Be sensible and stay safe !

1 hour ago, MuteWitness said:

I know there's other threads on this roundabout but not sure if they are to do with the old lay out.

I must have bad luck because nearly everytime i enter the roundabout from the audi garage/bochum parkway side to go straight over I get cut up by someone from the left hand lane who then decides they want to go straight.

Anyone else experience this?

It’s a bit of a weird layout, not helped by the left lane coming from the road from Dronfield.

If I’m entering from the Audi garage, I do the following.

To go right, I use the very far right hand lane. To go straight on, I use either of the two left ones, but if I’m in lane two, I do a lot of checking before changing lane to go to Bradway.

If I want to go down Greenhill Avenue, I usually turn right at the roundabout and left at Plumco. That cuts out that horrible and slow filter lane.

Edited by Pettytom

having just helped by daughter with her driving test,this came up and could be sorted with a paint brush.

coming down from the shopping centre theres arrows for forward on the left lane and middle ,THEN near to the island theres a turn left only arrow in the left lane,forward arrow in the middle lane and right arrow in the right lane,BUT if theres lots of traffic you cannot see these arrows and presume the inside left lane can be used for forward,but it cannot,that causes the problem,its a bad layout or needs signage above ground level,theres lots of smashs due to this and other things at the island and nearby junctions,another problem is when entering the queue for st james shopping centre from meadowhead,theres 2 lanes,changing to a queueing lane as well,but when that queues full,it causes the outside lane to come to a stand still,the problem is the shopping centre is very busy and there carpark,well thats awfull as well.

59 minutes ago, bassett one said:

having just helped by daughter with her driving test,this came up and could be sorted with a paint brush.

coming down from the shopping centre theres arrows for forward on the left lane and middle ,THEN near to the island theres a turn left only arrow in the left lane,forward arrow in the middle lane and right arrow in the right lane,BUT if theres lots of traffic you cannot see these arrows and presume the inside left lane can be used for forward,but it cannot,that causes the problem,its a bad layout or needs signage above ground level,theres lots of smashs due to this and other things at the island and nearby junctions,another problem is when entering the queue for st james shopping centre from meadowhead,theres 2 lanes,changing to a queueing lane as well,but when that queues full,it causes the outside lane to come to a stand still,the problem is the shopping centre is very busy and there carpark,well thats awfull as well.

You mean this signage which clearly indicates the L/H lane is A61 Chesterfield only?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3271194,-1.4706609,3a,33.7y,254.99h,87.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sH4M4P0kF-UhTID6v3IDlMw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&authuser=0

The written words on the road are not exactly helpful. C’fld and H’fld? Huddersfield? If you don’t know the area, by the time you’ve thought about decoding the abbreviations it’s probably too late. The signage could definitely be improved.

13 minutes ago, northernboy said:

The written words on the road are not exactly helpful. C’fld and H’fld? Huddersfield? If you don’t know the area, by the time you’ve thought about decoding the abbreviations it’s probably too late. The signage could definitely be improved.

I think that refers to 'Holmesfield'. 

We use this roundabout a lot, and now make a point of playing the "wrong lane game" to see how many people can't understand staying in lanes.

If you pick a lane and stick to it, it's incredibly simple to navigate.

1 hour ago, northernboy said:

Holmesfield, Bakewell, Chesterfield and Castleton are written in full in the earlier direction sign entitled  MEADOWHEAD and immediately before the lane sign in question.

The Highway Code states that "White panels indicate local or non-primary routes leading from the junction ahead."

The road number being B6054  and unbracketed  also inform of the minor importance of  this particular "H’fld".

Bakewell and Castleton are not local but are in white panels because large vehicles have already been told and given a reason to follow City Centre directions

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

The signs could perhaps be improved if the left hand lane (on the sign) had a left turning arrow and the right hand lane a right turning arrow, showing you can only turn left or right in those lanes. At the moment a quick glimpse of the sign might suggest that you can go straight on in any lane.  Pictures tell a better story than words.

there was a newish van smashed up only 2 weeks ago that was facing homesfield on left,went into sign

The roundabout isn't a problem, neither are the lanes. It's the drivers that switch/cut lanes and don't know how to drive properly that is. The roundabout is far better than it previously was.