Wilder Leaves The Blades.

Heckinbottom out - he's lost the dressing room that he never had

1 hour ago, atticus said:

Worst performance of the season by a country mile. 

Team...and Norwood in particular.

4 hours ago, Grappler said:

A real shame this, Chris Wilder arrived when the club was in a real mess, and in a fairly short space of time had fostered an "us against the world" siege mentality, that united the players, the supporters, and the club.

That first season, when things clicked into gear, you could see the possibilities of what he was trying to build.  Peterborough away being a great memory, when James Hanson headed over the keeper to Billy Sharp, who nodded home the winner and the crowd went nuts.  The first season in the Championship we were flying, until that horrific leg break for our pivotal player, Paul Coutts. 

Second season, we didn't leave it to chance, and stormed up the table, those last half dozen or so games were some of the best (and nail biting) games in memory,  Madine getting sent off in the first half, leaving us with 10 men (for over an hour) against Brentford, where we went on to win 2-0, Leeds away, our big rivals that season, with the "Basham's arriving" goal, and Hull away, where it looked like men against boys and we won 3-0.  It was that game, on a bank holiday Monday, that I knew that we were going up, as I drove back to Sheffield.  The only decider was would we go up in first or second place.  It came down to the last day, but that didn't matter, because we were promoted before we journeyed to Stoke, and most of our team looked like they were still  half drunk!

I like Chris Wilder as a bloke as well, down to earth, one of us, a Sheffielder.  The stuff like still catching a bus when he goes out for a few drinks.  The time when he was trying to lose a bit of weight, and would jog down to Bramall Lane on a Saturday morning, saying "hello" to everyone he passed.  Leading the team to the town hall steps on two occasions during promotions, beer in hand.

It took us over a decade to get back in the top flight, and I don't think we would have got there with anyone else at the helm.

I wanted the fairy tale ending, with a 65 year old Chris Wilder retiring from SUFC to a full house of supporters, giving him the send off he deserves, but football (these days), is not like that.  I started watching the Blades when TC and Woody were playing, but these last five years have been my favourite.

Good luck for the future, Chris!

Great post Grapps.

This morning I watched a 20 minute vlog by Benjamin Bloom  (an Ipswich fan and one of the most knowledgeable guys about football) on Youtube.

He always asks his viewers and posters to leave their bias at the door so as to keep things civil. 

He gave a superb summary of Chris Wilder's time with us and then apologised  for the fact he was now NOT going to be biased. Like yourself he wanted (like so many of us) for the fairytale to continue and the Blades to re-group in the championship under Wilder and get back to the Premier league. He just didn't want this journey to end. 

Like us he loved the expansive football we played and the down to earthness and humility of the manager . 

Looking forward there's reports on a number of sources that Jan Van Winckel will be involved more. DOF or manager? He's been a director at the club since December 2017 and I suppose it was only a matter of time before this would happen and we'd lose Chris.

Strange I don't feel anything about today's result. 

On 13/03/2021 at 10:27, trastrick said:

What's the major difference on the team this year?

Lets face it, last year the Blades rode to unlikely victory on the back of a phenominal goalie, Henderson.

Wilder took the credit!

In all major sport, to stay consistantly at a high level, you need strength in the one individual position that can make or break a team, and win or lose a game for you.

Baseball - pitcher

NFL - Quarterback

Hockey - Goalie

Soccer - Goalie

Same with a rock group. Need that star front man.

The rest are just a supporting cast, dime a dozen

You know what "trastrick" your so right....

I started a thread "Sheffield United V Relegation"....

The first thing I mentioned was will Sheffield United struggle without "Henderson" and I was right....

He was outstanding for them a fantastic pair of hands sadly missed.....

Lee Bowyer resigns at Charlton, could it be him in next!

1 hour ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

That would be nice wouldn't it,

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12255769/sheffield-united-owner-prince-abdullah-chris-wilder-resigned-twice-wanted-4m-pay-off

I'm going to resign and you're going to pay me £4m, can't blame the prince for putting him back in his box, hat a cheek.

That behaviour almost maked Steve Bruces admirable.

2 hours ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

Steve Bruce is/was a Newcastle supporter, Chrissy Bled United he'd have us believe. Bled them dry I think he must have meant. Wanted to jack in December and take £4m with him. Whatever happened to jacking and leaving with nothing. Fair play to the prince for sticking it to him.

It just goes to show the arrogance of CW....

The context of any conversation can be manipulated to suit either side of a dispute and when one side can't comment it's easy for the other to character assassinate them.

I know for a fact that Chris isn't an idiot and only an idiot would think he could pack his job in and still get paid.

The question should have been asked if Chris had had a financial settlement from the club and if so why.

CW took all the praise for finishing 9th last season....

This season he blames the tools Sheffield United are being relegated because of your poor choices and being way over your head and depth in the Premier league CW got found out this season for what he is...

He also has the nerve to say he wanted 4 million to resign absolute joker !!!....

Edited by Box11

58 minutes ago, Box11 said:

CW took all the praise for finishing 9th last season....

This season he blames the tools Sheffield United are being relegated because of your poor choices and being way over your head and depth in the Premier league CW got found out this season for what he is...

He also has the nerve to say he wanted 4 million to resign absolute joker !!!....

Does he name the tools?

2 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Does he name the tools?

I'll start us off with Lys Mousset.....surely the biggest tool in the Sheffield football toolbox at the moment.

Have Wednesday got anybody to beat that lad?

26 minutes ago, atticus said:

I'll start us off with Lys Mousset.....surely the biggest tool in the Sheffield football toolbox at the moment.

Have Wednesday got anybody to beat that lad?

Joint highest scorer last season and joint highest assists despite being out injured, something not right about him since.