Wilder Leaves The Blades.

15 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Not sure how accurate these websites are.

Sheffield United - All transfers | Transfermarkt

But if he’s spent £120m in two seasons and brought next to no money in, then the owner is entitled to ask why his club is twelve points adrift.

According to that site, only Burnley and West Brom have squads valued less...   so maybe on that basis the owner can't say much...

16 minutes ago, Vasquez Rich said:

According to that site, only Burnley and West Brom have squads valued less...   so maybe on that basis the owner can't say much...

Value is another question. If the club has ended up with a squad so low in the value table, there’s surely even more reason for the owner to query the spending.

7 minutes ago, Vasquez Rich said:

Or it shows that most other clubs have spent a lot more....

Brighton, Burnley, Chelsea, Palace, Everton, Fulham, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Southampton, West Brom, and Wolves all spent less nett over the same period.

30 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Brighton, Burnley, Chelsea, Palace, Everton, Fulham, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Southampton, West Brom, and Wolves all spent less nett over the same period.

That's because some of them were more established with high value players to move on to make room for the new players, are you really comparing the Chelsea set up with Uniteds?, Their owner has spent in the billions to keep them where they are. I was surprised to read a few weeks ago the Palace has five players on over 150k a week, football has gone mad.

Edited by Alextopman

7 minutes ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

The Chelsea comparison is a snapshot to suit your argument, try brighton, Leeds, Newcastle, Burnley, Palace,Fulham, Southampton, West Brom.

Fulham spent over 100m in their first season, I'm not arguing by the way, as already said Palace have players on over 150k a week I don't know how they can do it.

I wasn't the one trying to compare Chelsea to United.

Newcastle squad cost 145m.

25 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

That's because some of them were more established with high value players to move on to make room for the new players, are you really comparing the Chelsea set up with Uniteds?, Their owner has spent in the billions to keep them where they are. I was surprised to read a few weeks ago the Palace has five players on over 150k a week, football has gone mad.

It’s a difficult call for newly promoted clubs. Is the best policy to spend as little as possible and take the near certainty of relegation, knowing parachute payments will soften the blow, or do you spend to your limit to try to establish the club in the prem? Spending £120m and still getting relegated might be seen as falling between two stools and a failure of management.

9 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

It’s a difficult call for newly promoted clubs. Is the best policy to spend as little as possible and take the near certainty of relegation, knowing parachute payments will soften the blow, or do you spend to your limit to try to establish the club in the prem? Spending £120m and still getting relegated might be seen as falling between two stools and a failure of management.

That spending is over two season, so by your reckoning would you say last season was a success and this season went the way of  you're prediction for the first season?

5 minutes ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

Neither was I. Utd finished 9th last season. A lot of the clubs mentioned finished below them. Spending money doesn't mean you're buying quality. Finishing 9th should mean the players you have should be worth more. I was just pointing out you took the one club who finished above you to use as a comparison which just didn't think was fair.

Well I've corrected that with a few more facts for you. I agreed money doesn't guarantee anything but it does help, injuries, no crowds, and a few other things haven't helped.

Edited by Alextopman

17 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

That spending is over two season, so by your reckoning would you say last season was a success and this season went the way of  you're prediction for the first season?

Last season should have been a great platform for this season but the last round of signings has been found lacking. Prior to that, the manager’s transfer record can’t be faulted. Unfortunately, some owners only look to the latest season. Trevor Francis was sacked for a 13th place finish despite prior to that finishing 3rd, 7th, 7th again, and reaching two cup finals. The man who took that decision wasn’t even the owner.

Chris Wilder should have banked enough credit to keep his job but he’s in no position to dictate club policy even if the agreed plan has been changed. If he won’t recognise that, there’s only one outcome.

1 minute ago, Jim Hardie said:

Last season should have been a great platform for this season but the last round of signings has been found lacking. Prior to that, the manager’s transfer record can’t be faulted. Unfortunately, some owners only look to the latest season. Trevor Francis was sacked for a 13th place finish despite prior to that finishing 3rd, 7th, 7th again, and reaching two cup finals. The man who took that decision wasn’t even the owner.

Chris Wilder should have banked enough credit to keep his job but he’s in no position to dictate club policy even if the agreed plan has been changed. If he won’t recognise that, there’s only one outcome.

Yep, just about right.

10 minutes ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

It's on the cards/distinct possibility but he wants as much cash out in his pay off as possible. He doesn't want a radio rentals type instalment pay off which reduces if he gets another job, he wants the lot and he wants it now.

Surprised at this really as I thought he was one of their own.

How do you know all that?

18 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he ended up at Celtic, would be another forward step in his career.

He could car share with that Wednesday player Shaw who's also making a forward step going there.

Edited by Alextopman