Why Does My Mobile Not Bleep ?

I have a rather oldish mobile phone which will ring if someone rings me directly, but if someone texts me, it remains silent. Should this happen ? I often have lots of text messages that remain unanswered because of this. Is there something I can alter on the phone so that it makes a loud noise every time I get a text ?

Almost certainly Yes. 

You need to check the manual of your phone (even very old ones will probably have one free on-line - mine has!) and look up that feature.  Google the name and type of your phone with the words "free" and "manual".

I would guess it would be under something like Settings/Applications/Messages.

Let us know if you've cracked it or name of phone if you require help looking it up. 

You probably have the phone on silent Pat, and yeah there is a setting you can change for that.

What operating system is your phone? Android or Iphone?

26 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Almost certainly Yes. 

You need to check the manual of your phone (even very old ones will probably have one free on-line - mine has!) and look up that feature.  Google the name and type of your phone with the words "free" and "manual".

I would guess it would be under something like Settings/Applications/Messages.

Let us know if you've cracked it or name of phone if you require help looking it up. 

Thank you.

25 minutes ago, MrAllen2K21 said:

You probably have the phone on silent Pat, and yeah there is a setting you can change for that.

What operating system is your phone? Android or Iphone?

I don’t know. How can I tell ?

17 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Thank you.

I don’t know. How can I tell ?

It must have some branding of some sort on it  - can you see any?

Edited by RollingJ

If you can't see any branding, how do you switch it on?, can you access the internet on it?, and what does it say when you switch it on?  These answers may help to work out what phone it is.

It’s ok, I got it sorted. Had to go to Settings .