Nice Areas In Sheffield

Hello all, me and my fiancé are looking to start our family in Sheffield and first step is buying a house. I know this is gonna be the most general question ever but which areas would you recommend to live in and also to avoid? 
My preference is somewhere close to shops/supermarkets. 
Thank you xx

All depends on your budgets how many bedrooms ect.  My first stop would be righmove. Find one you like the look of, then ask on here about the area

Which side of the city do you need to be on?

Some people would no doubt tell you that the "Posher" areas are nicer, such as Dore, Eccleshall, Totley, and Whirlow... Poppycock! There's just as much crime and bad stuff happens up there as anywhere.

I grew up in lower Walkley back in the 80s, and never had any problems, including having Family in Stannington.

29 minutes ago, MrAllen2K21 said:

Some people would no doubt tell you that the "Posher" areas are nicer, such as Dore, Eccleshall, Totley, and Whirlow... Poppycock! There's just as much crime and bad stuff happens up there as anywhere.

I grew up in lower Walkley back in the 80s, and never had any problems, including having Family in Stannington.

Er, not that spelling! So-called 'posher' areas are much more expensive for very good reasons, too.

35 minutes ago, MrAllen2K21 said:

my understanding is its not that they have less crime, but that Sheffield is divided into areas with excellent secondary schools and awful secondary schools, with nothing in-between. All the expensive areas have the former and thats why they are expensive and very desirable to move into. Lots of other very nice areas such as Walkley/Stanning/Loxley are much cheaper because they fall into the catchment of the latter category of secondary schools.

On 10/03/2021 at 23:25, HariboQueen said:

Hello all, me and my fiancé are looking to start our family in Sheffield and first step is buying a house. I know this is gonna be the most general question ever but which areas would you recommend to live in and also to avoid? 
My preference is somewhere close to shops/supermarkets. 
Thank you xx

Anywhere east of the A61 is often not the best. It all depends what you're after, some council estates are lovely and have very down to earth, friendly people but this may not suit everyone. Do some research and go through the postcodes and see what works best for you. Some may like Darnall for example, me you'd have to pay me a good £500k to want a house there! But that's my personal choice based on my knowledge of the area and living close by for years.

Everyone's opinions are different. Have a good research into postcodes, make a list of areas you like and go drive through them during the day and at night, see what the local shops are like etc.