Power Outage Overnight In S8

Electricity went out briefly in areas of S8 in the middle of the night - causing a number of house alarms to be heard and no doubt a lot of sleep to be interrupted.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Electricity went out briefly in areas of S8 in the middle of the night - causing a number of house alarms to be heard and no doubt a lot of sleep to be interrupted.

Yup - according to my PC, it was at 3:50am. Probably just changing the hamster.

I just wish they'd warn us when they are doing that then - we could all be prepared!

32 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I just wish they'd warn us when they are doing that then - we could all be prepared!

er, warn you when there's an expected blackout? or warn you when Windows needs to restart after another big update ?

8 minutes ago, The Joker said:

er, warn you when there's an expected blackout? or warn you when Windows needs to restart after another big update ?

expected blackout - alarms around me went off - but my pc was still working.  Conclusion - power was off long enough to set alarms off, but not long enough to reboot computers. 

I guess there are times the electricity people know in advance of issues (e.g. changing over devices) so they could alert us domestic consumers (industries that rely heavily on power normally pay for uninterruptible power supplies) to these or have them on schedules that they can tell us of so we can work around (e.g. Wednesday at 3:15 pm is the time-slot we do changes if we need to).  That way, we don't get nasty surprises or lose sleep like last night.

16 minutes ago, The Joker said:

You can do that on Northern Powergrid's website 😁

https://www.northernpowergrid.com/update-my-details-media

Thanks - I was already aware of this.  It shows some work has been completed at Totley - that is the nearest.  Unless someone regularly checks whether there is planned works, I can see nothing that informs us of planned outages.  Registering your details with them is for telling you when power may be restored after a cut.

When the last S8 took place and I rang them, all there were interested in doing is taking all my details to register with them,not telling me when they would be doing the work or when I may be getting my power back!

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Most people are in bed at that time.

Most likely a fault rather than planned maintenance at that time anyway. 

4 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Most people are in bed at that time.

Most likely a fault rather than planned maintenance at that time anyway. 

People with alarms usually sat them at night so the alarm alerts them to intruders, so, If it was planned, I reckon there would be less disruption if it was planned during waking hours.

Yes, I accept the point about it could well be a fault.

On 09/03/2021 at 15:22, Thirsty Relic said:

yes these things happen but these days they are a rarity . Annoying but hardly worth getting upset about

House alarms going off in a power cut usually means that the battery backup for the control panel has died (probably of old age), while the one in the bell box is still ok. The bell box sees a lack of signal from the control panel and assumes the worst - that someone has cut the cable to the bell box.