Pubs Reopening - Road Map Out Of Lockdown

Stag's Head on Psalter Lane has lots of covered areas, no heaters though. You can't book, its first come first served. 

The Broadfield has a covered area with heaters. I think they take bookings, but most of the tables are walk in. 

Was in Stag Friday tea,turned cold after 6pm,heaters needed but the Crackendale was worth it.

On 07/05/2021 at 23:22, gNil said:

Stag's Head on Psalter Lane has lots of covered areas, no heaters though. You can't book, its first come first served. 

The Broadfield has a covered area with heaters. I think they take bookings, but most of the tables are walk in. 

I was in the Stag in Psalter Lane a few evenings ago and I can confirm that they do have heaters in the covered areas - admittedly some are angled oddly, seeming like only half the seats get the heat, hence a couple descending hastily on my seat when I left - the Lord Marples was good 🙂  

Edited by GinTreeS7

With indoor drinking returning on Monday, the Crow and the Shakespeare are coming back with a bang, with pretty epic opening taplists:

Shakespeare (from 2pm)

We're so chuffed to be back we thought we'd get some biguns on the bar.

And here they are! As usual they're on til they're gone - but we may have a few sneaky extra stupidly delicious beers nestled up our sleeves to replace them...

CASK

EMPEROR’S – Rum Barrel Aged Black Forest Moon – 11% - A Galaxy far, far away

A big, decadent Black Forest Gateaux Imperial Stout from Untappd’s best highest rated brewery in the world. Rarely seen in cask this is a sweet treat you’d be crackers to miss out on. Luscious berries, deep chocolate and all the memories of everyone’s favourite nostalgic desert.

KEG

WOODMAN’S WILD ALES – Fig leaf and honey saison – 8% - Cornwall, UK

Relatively new to the beer world, these Cornish masters have paired local Ponsanooth honey and foraged fig leaf in a saison that manages to be both intricately delicate and boldly British. 

ALVINNE – Cuvee Freddie Framboos – 8% - Moen, Belgium

A huge Shakespeare’s favourite brewery who make absolutely world leading wild and mixed fermentation sours. This is a Flemish dark sour ale aged on red wine barrels and macerated with a shed load of raspberries. A beer we will always, always put on the bar as often as we can. 

OMNIPOLLO – Brabara – 6.5% - Stockholm, Sweden

Not as bonkers as some of Omnipollo’s more mad level offerings, this thick mango sour is designed to emulate a homemade fruit smoothie – and that pretty much sums it up. Super smooth, juicy, tart, fruity, and super delicious. 

EMPEROR’S x BANG THE ELEPHANT – HOBI-wan keNOBi Episode Two: Darkside Edition – 11.8% - Derbyshire, UK

Now brewery buddies, these two Jedi Masters teamed up and made a beer that tastes like Hobnobs, with actual hobnobs in it. I don’t think we need to say much more. It’s the best biscuits (sorry, they just are.) in the galaxy made into a big, sturdy, stout. Finally we can all drink hobnobs without this being because we dropped them in our cuppa.

POHJALA – Pime Oo PX – 13.9% - Tallinn, Estonia

A brewery who say their beers are often inspired by long, dark, Estonian nights exemplify this with a deeply indulgent, jet black imperial stout that was aged on Pedro Ximenez Sherry barrels for that extra layer of luxury. Heavy chocolate and cherry, with notes of raisins and a velvet like texture.

MIKKELLER – Henry Hops – 4%

Bright, aromatic and beautifully balanced this is a pale ale that deserves to be seen as a modern classic. Gloriously uncomplicated with the hop profile emitting flavours of orange, blossom honey, and pine. Bone-fide perfect session quaffing.

MIKKELLER – Blow Out – 6%

Cushiony, pillowy, cosy, comfy, lovely booze with a clean, refreshing finish. Big fruity hops giving a back-note of mango and passionfruit. Low bitterness and high flavour. This is exactly the sort of beer we were craving while missing the pub.

Crow (from 3pm)

We are back! The Crow Inn is reopening 17th May and we are bringing our A-game from the start. We have put together a collection of 3 Little Earth Project sours, 3 North Brewing Co IPAs and 3 huge Mikkeller stouts. Its been a long time since we have been able to have you lovely lot inside the pub enjoying a beer and we are all very excited.

Keg list opening on May 17th @3pm:

LITTLE EARTH PROJECT - Hedgerow Blend 2019: 5.4% blend of 4 barrels of sour saison with wild hops, plums, damsons & elderberries

LITTLE EARTH PROJECT - The Darkness MK2: 8.5% Dark sour with gooseberries & elderberries

LITTLE EARTH PROJECT - Stupid Sexy Bramling Cross: 6.3% 11 month barrel aged Flanders red with 11.5g hand picked bramling cross hops

NORTH - Open Space: 4.5% West Coast Pale (Gluten Free)

NORTH - Invisible Cities: 6.7% Hazy IPA

NORTH & AF Brew - Socmod: 9.0% DIPA

MIKKELLER - Kaffestout: 6.0% Coffee and lactose stout

MIKKELLER - George! Barrel Aged: 13.8% Bourbon barrel aged imperial stout with vanilla and coffee

MIKKELLER - Black: 18.0% Huge boozy legend of a stout

We might hit the Rawson Spring in Hillsborough next week, I'm a big fan of their Scampi and chips because unlike some pubs they actually listen to the bit where I request "no Salad or Peas" :D 

Indoor opening allowed from Monday 17th May!

The test & trace sign in, max groups of 6, social distancing, table service and the rest are still required.

So has anyone visited town for a drink Friday or Saturday evenings, just wondered how organised it is, and was it a long  wait to be served ?

Town doesn't feel very safe to me at the moment - especially around West and Division Streets, I'm sure its fairly disorganised what with young people drinking , and I've also heard of various news stories of physical assaults and a rape the other night 😞

On 15/06/2021 at 09:30, peteh1 said:

So has anyone visited town for a drink Friday or Saturday evenings, just wondered how organised it is, and was it a long  wait to be served ?

All the reputable venues are fine inside - remember the rules are everyone has to check in at the door and everyone has to have a table and be served at table. Some are doing traditional table service whilst others are using apps/websites to take orders (and some a mix of both). Capacity is much reduced due to the social distancing arrangements put in place.

I generally don't normally go in places that show football when a match is on where people are likely to break the rules by getting up / shouting / singing etc and I haven't been in any bars that are normally party places yet so can't really comment on either.

In town since reopening I've been to the Dog & Partridge, Fagans, University Arms, Red Deer, Bath Hotel, Sheffield Tap, Rutland Arms, Washington, Industry Tap, Cavendish, Triple Point and Dorothy Pax and all have been fine.

Dorothy Pax service has sometimes been a bit hit and miss, the misses have generally been at the rooftop bar when its a new member of staff but never been bad enough to be dissatisfied. Washington is reservations only at busy times and they don't allow more than a few people to queue.

Main problem area in town seems to be West Street on the actual street. Outside certain bars you tend to get a combination of people queuing to get in alongside smokers  plus passers by and of course being West Street the beggars and druggies hassling people.

Also since reopening I've been to a few pubs and bars in Kelham Island, various suburban areas, Dronfield and Chesterfield, all generally been OK.

Edited by Andy C

Must say we have been to the Waggon and Horses in Millhouses park a few times and its been brilliant every time staff have been really helpful and the new outside area in the park is fantastic on summer days.Inside is great too really good atmosphere.Can only see this pub going from strength to strength particularly now they have the cafe in the park.

@Fudbeer agree! we sat outside in their new beer garden area on the park and it was lovely! great food too.

A couple of new places opened this week - Social bar on Snig Hill (attached to the little art gallery, bar open midday to 9pm Wed-Sat) and Perch on Garden Street (behind Butlers Balti) which is attached to Dead Parrot Brewery.