Pubs Reopening - Road Map Out Of Lockdown

On 10/04/2021 at 10:37, makapaka said:

Im similar. Just read the rules on the post above and just think what is the point really.

the only time I think I could see me using it is if I was walking past somewhere quiet in the week with the dog. I might have a quick pint in that instance.

can’t be bothered donning face masks and following arrows to the toilet. 

You're right, it won't be the same, however for me this is the first opportunity to meet many of my friends in a long time and sat outside somewhere with staff fetching beer to table sounds like quite a civilised option. As you are served at table you will only need to wear a mask when you arrive, leave or nip to the loo and given that you have to wear masks in shops and on buses/trams/trains/taxis I'm used to always having one in my pocket now anyway.

19 hours ago, whiteowl said:

6 degrees is forecast for Monday 8pm - think I'll be waiting until we can go inside.

Hope the government doesn't cut any support (if they get any!) to the pubs until they can open fully.

cold I can deal with, I have a jumper and big coat, it will be rain that is more offputting.  Looks like after all the rain and snow of the last few days it should be dry the rest of the week and slowly warming up as the week goes on.

On 06/04/2021 at 20:46, hauxwell said:

All the best on your move to Scotland tzijlstra and hope you will still continue to post on the forum.

I feel sorry for the pubs that don’t have enough outside space and therefore can’t open.  The ones that are able to reopen I hope the weather behaves itself until they are able to open fully.  All it needs is heavy rain and wind and that could affect trade or even stop them from opening their beer gardens on the 12th.  This is the Uk with unpredictable weather. So I will keep my fingers crossed for the weather to be kind to the hospitality trade until hopefully they are able to open fully.

Will these pubs also have to provide outdoor mobile toilets or will you be allowed to use the ones inside? 

you will be allowed in to use toilets

Just wondering if anyone has actually ventured into town, is most of the pop up / extra seating pre booked, or can you simply turn up and sit if there's a spare table ?

Well went back on what I said as was invited to the Waggon and horses by friends.Really well organised and managed not to break any rules or be told off!

Guest makapaka
19 hours ago, peteh1 said:

Just wondering if anyone has actually ventured into town, is most of the pop up / extra seating pre booked, or can you simply turn up and sit if there's a spare table ?

I turned up and sat outside the slug and lettuce on Tuesdays with no problems - others were doing the same. 

that was mid-afternoon tho not sure if it gets busier in the evenings.

Abbeydale Cinema are advertising a pop-up bar. 

Edited by Baron99

So far this week I have been to

- Triple Point Brewery bar (with table reservation)

- King & Miller, Deepcar (walk ins only)

- Kelham Island Tavern (walk ins only)

- Dorothy Pax (reservations encouraged but will take walk ins if tables are available)

- Sheffield Tap (walk ins only)

- Rising Sun, Nether Green (walk ins only)

- Beer House, Hunters Bar (with table reservation, walk in possible if tables are available)

- Industry Tap (walk ins only)

- Bar Stewards (with table reservation, walk in possible if tables are available)

- Washington (table reservation mandatory after 11pm, encouraged at other times when walk in is possible if tables are available).

Generally all have been good, it should be noted that outdoor capacity is limited so some places can get full easily, also at the moment the weather has been nice in the daytime but dropped very cold at night plus many places are closing earlier than normal.

Edited by Andy C

On 15/04/2021 at 13:08, Baron99 said:

Abbeydale Cinema are advertising a pop-up bar. 

Also nearby on Abbeydale Road there's also the Barrowboy & Two Thirds Beer Co with outside seating.  Further down Abbeydale Road, there's also the Dead Donkey Bar with limited seats outside, near Bragazzi's. 

Edited by Baron99

My "local" is the Crown and Glove in Stannington, either there or the Rawson Spring in Hillsborough, although the last time I went in there for a meal, my card got scammed for £35 worth of Burgers from Wendy's, who don't even trade in the UK! Fortunately the Bank rang me Dad and the payment was stopped.

I have yet to set foot in any Pub though, and probably won't for a while yet.

How does a card get scammed in these contact less payment days ? Just asking to try and avoid ...

9 minutes ago, peteh1 said:

How does a card get scammed in these contact less payment days ? Just asking to try and avoid ...

It's only since I got 2 new cards towards the end of last year that now both my main and ready cash cards are now contactless.

That day I was in the Rawson, I had to use the old "Chip and Pin" system, which clearly has security issues!