Pubs Reopening - Road Map Out Of Lockdown

Currently - pubs may offer takeaway food and non alcoholic drink, also home delivery of alcoholic drinks. Here is a list of pubs known to be offering these services https://sheffield.camra.org.uk/2021/01/pubs-offering-takeaway-and-delivery/

From 12th April* - pubs may offer takeaway sales including alcohol. They may also offer outdoor hospitality with table service, group sizes subject to the rule of 6 and various Covid-safe measures. Here is a list of pubs and bars known to be planning on opening for outdoor service on this week (it won't be viable for all pubs to do so). https://sheffield.camra.org.uk/2021/02/beer-garden-openings/

From 17th May* - pubs may open indoors with table service, rule of 6, social distancing arrangements, customers and staff wearing face coverings when not seated, enhanced cleaning regimes, NHS test and trace check in of customers, minimal background noise etc. Also from this date increased group sizes are permitted outdoors.

From 21st June - Covid secure measures and restrictions lifted and pubs able to function normally. Nightclubs, festivals, live music venues etc able to open .

* dates subject to ongoing government review

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Temporary pop-up beer garden announced.  Collaboration between Plug & Lane7 on Matilda St. in Sheffield. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/lifestyle/food-and-drink/huge-new-pop-up-beer-garden-with-capacity-for-200-people-to-open-in-sheffield-city-centre-this-month-3187739

yes. Leadmill have announced a pop up beer garden too on the pavement!

List of all the known  places opening for outdoor service: https://sheffield.camra.org.uk/2021/02/beer-garden-openings/

Edited by Andy C

18 minutes ago, Andy C said:

List of all the known  places opening for outdoor service: https://sheffield.camra.org.uk/2021/02/beer-garden-openings/

Dunno if there's any more on this list....

https://sheffieldcitycentre.com/featured/beer-gardens-and-alfresco-dining

40 minutes ago, Andy C said:

This is a brilliant list thank you! Feel like I want to go to every one and tick it off the list!

Can we take a moment to recognise the pubs not on the list :(

I am so sad that the proprietor of the Red Deer had to make the decision to cease trading, anyone know if there is a new proprietor lined up? 

The Bath Hotel doesn't have outdoor space, are they still a going business? 

The Castle on Dykes Hall Road? 

Sportsman Inn in Wadsley? Same for the Horse and Jockey? 

The micro-pubs that opened up in Hillsborough recently? Brass Monkey anyone? 

Genuinely worried about so many pubs that either have been around for centuries or were the result of the improved pub culture on the ascendance of micro breweries in the last decade. 

We are moving to a small village in Scotland that had 2 bars before the first lockdown, one closed immediately not to reopen and the other is rumoured to be penniless as well.  It'll be so important to support our small independent hospitality businesses once we are out of this nightmare, it will take years to get the vibrant scene back. 

My favourite pub is the Queen's Head; I hope it hasn't closed for good.

3 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

We are moving to a small village in Scotland that had 2 bars before the first lockdown, one closed immediately not to reopen and the other is rumoured to be penniless as well.  It'll be so important to support our small independent hospitality businesses once we are out of this nightmare, it will take years to get the vibrant scene back. 

All the best on your move to Scotland tzijlstra and hope you will still continue to post on the forum.

I feel sorry for the pubs that don’t have enough outside space and therefore can’t open.  The ones that are able to reopen I hope the weather behaves itself until they are able to open fully.  All it needs is heavy rain and wind and that could affect trade or even stop them from opening their beer gardens on the 12th.  This is the Uk with unpredictable weather. So I will keep my fingers crossed for the weather to be kind to the hospitality trade until hopefully they are able to open fully.

Will these pubs also have to provide outdoor mobile toilets or will you be allowed to use the ones inside? 

Edited by hauxwell

6 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

Can we take a moment to recognise the pubs not on the list :(

I am so sad that the proprietor of the Red Deer had to make the decision to cease trading, anyone know if there is a new proprietor lined up? 

Sincerely hope the Deer will still be there - had my first pint of hand pulled Tetleys there about 47 years ago......................................

There are many pubs that either have no outdoor area or have one that isn't big enough to be viable given the staff required to do table service, Test & Trace check in and all the other arrangements. The majority of those pubs are expecting to open when indoor service is allowed, which is provisionally 17th May.

Another change from 12th April is pubs can finally do take home alcohol sales like supermarkets and shops already can (pubs, bars and restaurants are currently restricted to home delivery only) so  there are some places that have already established home delivery (some via Citygrab) that only have small outdoor areas are planning on opening the outdoor area at times they do takeaway/delivery, examples include the Clubhouse on London Road, the Beer House on Ecclesall Road and the two Ale Clubs (Ecclesall and Fulwood).

There is of course a ticking timebomb that may yet go off in the pub trade for those that owe a backlog of rent... there hasn't been sufficient government support to cover it.

19 hours ago, hauxwell said:

All the best on your move to Scotland tzijlstra and hope you will still continue to post on the forum.

I feel sorry for the pubs that don’t have enough outside space and therefore can’t open.  The ones that are able to reopen I hope the weather behaves itself until they are able to open fully.  All it needs is heavy rain and wind and that could affect trade or even stop them from opening their beer gardens on the 12th.  This is the Uk with unpredictable weather. So I will keep my fingers crossed for the weather to be kind to the hospitality trade until hopefully they are able to open fully.

Will these pubs also have to provide outdoor mobile toilets or will you be allowed to use the ones inside? 

You can use toilets inside the pub and are required to wear a face covering whenever you aren't sat at your table outside.

16 hours ago, Longcol said:

Sincerely hope the Deer will still be there - had my first pint of hand pulled Tetleys there about 47 years ago......................................

My understanding is The Red Deer is owned by Star Pubs & Bars, which is part of Heineken, who lease it out to a local independent operator. Jake the landlord has handed his notice to Star to terminate the lease. He doesn't leave until June so it will reopen briefly from 17 May (assuming that date on the roadmap sticks) until he leaves, after that Star will be advertising the pub for a new tenant to take a lease on. Whether the new tenant is as good as Jake is of course unknown, the other thing is what type of contract the new person signs up on (two types are available - a tied contract where all wet stock has to be bought from Star or a market rent only contract where they can source whatever stock they like from wherever but pay higher rent, such pub companies hate the latter type of contract)

22 hours ago, despritdan said:

My favourite pub is the Queen's Head; I hope it hasn't closed for good.

planning to reopen when indoor service is allowed, provisionally May 17th.

Edited by Andy C

23 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Thanks hauxwell, appreciate that! Don't worry, I know it is difficult to imagine, but even in Scotland there is Internet ;)

20 hours ago, Longcol said:

When I started my MSc at Sheffield I met some fellow-students during Fresher's week, they asked me to meet them at the University Arms. I sat there for 20 minutes nursing a pint when one of them texted me to say he got the wrong pub! I walked up to the Red Deer and many friendships were born in that place. Amazing pub and really pleased to read the below:

3 hours ago, Andy C said:

My understanding is The Red Deer is owned by Star Pubs & Bars, which is part of Heineken, who lease it out to a local independent operator. Jake the landlord has handed his notice to Star to terminate the lease. He doesn't leave until June so it will reopen briefly from 17 May (assuming that date on the roadmap sticks) until he leaves, after that Star will be advertising the pub for a new tenant to take a lease on. Whether the new tenant is as good as Jake is of course unknown, the other thing is what type of contract the new person signs up on (two types are available - a tied contract where all wet stock has to be bought from Star or a market rent only contract where they can source whatever stock they like from wherever but pay higher rent, such pub companies hate the latter type of contract)

planning to reopen when indoor service is allowed, provisionally May 17th.

Thanks Andy!