Moving To Sheffield - Thoughts On Greystones?

Hi there,

We're moving from London to Sheffield over the next few months. My partner is originally from Derby, we have friends here!

Thanks to Covid, we're struggling to choose the area we want to live in as we can't visit until its time to view. The most important thing is that we're close to good dog walking spots & dog-friendly places, have a garden and is not crazy busy as our dog is anxious (though we're from SE London, so it's not a massive deal!). But as my partner doesn't drive (& I'll need to do a crash course when we get there as it's been a LONG time since I've needed to drive), we also want to be close to shops and a bit of quirkiness. Not much to ask, I know! We're in our mid 30's and don't plan on kids so schools aren't a big deal and we're both perm remote workers. 

Our friends have recommended Nether Edge, which is beautiful, but I'm not sure about being close enough to a solid dog walk that we can get to on lunch breaks. So we were thinking Greystones, but will the transport links/nearby shops be an issue... I've read a bit about Woodseats on here and folks were worried about safety and traffic. 

Our max budget is £375k for a 3+ bed and decent garden.

Any of your fine folks have any thoughts or recommendations?

TIA!!

Charlotte, Tom, Dayla (the doodle) and our grumpy cat Dora. 

Greystones would be a good choice.

Very nice area but within a few minutes walk to a good selection of shops 

Woodseats always seems a much heavier trafficked  area and the shops are on a relatively narrow road ,not that pleasant.

From Greystone

,Sharrowvale Road is not to far a walk and us home to maybe the best collection of indy shops in Sheff apart from maybe Kelham Area.

Crookes night be worth took.

Big shop selection ,on a high service bus route to town .Bus every 6 mins peak and it's about 15 mins journey.

Rivelin valley trails and Bolehills close by

and views like you could not believe over Rivelin and out to the hills of the Peak District.

Welcome to Sheffield

Greystones is on a hill- and, as we all get older, that hill becomes inexorably steeper...

But, yes, it's an area popular with owner-occupiers and reasonably-well served by buses.

Our max budget is £375k for a 3+ bed and decent garden.  for that money in that area you will probably need a budget for updating the property

Meadowhead / Norton is nicer than Woodseats, got Graves park and St James retail close by, but not the quietest

Greenhill / Bradway? Bradway has great little bunch of shops at the top of Twentywell Lane, couple of good takeways and surrounded by dog walks in every direction - heck there even a petshop in Bradway. Greenhill has some ok  shops/takeaways too and easy access to the woods

Close to Rivelin Valley might be worth a look too, lovely dog walking and the advantage of the tram nearby

Dore is nice too, even better shop choice but likely more expensive. Lodge Moor, Stannington might be similar

1 hour ago, Skink said:

Meadowhead / Norton is nicer than Woodseats, got Graves park and St James retail close by, but not the quietest

Greenhill / Bradway? Bradway has great little bunch of shops at the top of Twentywell Lane, couple of good takeways and surrounded by dog walks in every direction - heck there even a petshop in Bradway. Greenhill has some ok  shops/takeaways too and easy access to the woods

Close to Rivelin Valley might be worth a look too, lovely dog walking and the advantage of the tram nearby

Dore is nice too, even better shop choice but likely more expensive. Lodge Moor, Stannington might be similar

I’d agree with this. Greystones is nice but it’s definitely worth thinking about these other areas.  I think Greystones is popular due to the local schools but as that isn’t a consideration I would look at other options too.

21 hours ago, redruby said:

I’d agree with this. Greystones is nice but it’s definitely worth thinking about these other areas.  I think Greystones is popular due to the local schools but as that isn’t a consideration I would look at other options too.

Areas with the  good schools are far more expensive, so given they said they don't need access to one its worth thinking about areas with the not good schools because of how much more they will get for their money (e.g Loxly/Stannington have good walks, though won't have the quirky shops/cafes they want. Not sure where the latter are except sharrowvale road).