New World Of Football Centre Proposed

And I suppose that the junction of Greenhill Main Road and Greenhill Avenue, where the ground entrance is in effect the fourth road, will have to be re-modelled.  No bad thing. Will they open another entrance close to the TA barracks?

I am assuming they will have on-site parking, otherwise chaos on match days....

Lets hope they come up with a nice design. I believe you can buy a stadium "off the shelf" in that all the steelwork comes cut to size, and you get a set of instructions like an Ikea bookcase. Some non league grounds look awful, with naff corrugated sheeting, and gormless signage.

Best wishes.

p.s when I was a wolf cub, we tracked in the fields that are now the TA barracks and the housing estate....

it didnt help the cricket area,when due to the road system,the drains failed and all the road water flooded the field,causing huge problems this was repaired by whoever and its fine now,maybe this was the cause to the cricket area being faulty

5 hours ago, bassett one said:

it didnt help the cricket area,when due to the road system,the drains failed and all the road water flooded the field,causing huge problems this was repaired by whoever and its fine now,maybe this was the cause to the cricket area being faulty

Sorry better be correct on this. The bottom pitch is not in use due to work by a water board contractor, part of the main pitch outfield is not in use too which affects every game. Interesting enough the drains they put in were linked to the toilets at meadowhead roundabout, but not from the sportsclub.

I believe a drain blockage of the council's near the dual carriageway, was a separate issue when it was too wet/flooded the game was off so it was a different fault, not the dangerous one someone was referring to. We did have a nice heron in the resulting lake a few times and the school kids seem to enjoy the floods.

Edited by Slacker1969
Correction

On 23/03/2019 at 23:04, Longcol said:

United & Wednesday not playing due to internationals probably accounted for half the crowd.

Yeah, there were a fair few from the big clubs.

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:55, Slacker1969 said:

Nice comment re lack of care. I don't see the need to highlight any issue with the ground as  I am sure sheffield FC will probably completely build a fresh pitch.

I think the point you hint on is you can have the best facility in the world but a with a poor playing surface, is a good point.

If football is at a high standard there why not at the same time push for the county teams to ad-hoc use the facility at the same time, surely ycb may invest? However there is little weekend spare capacity so the 2nd pitch is still needed.

Can I just praise the mainly unskilled volunteers that have put themselves out to assist the sports club/paid groundsman, without them the sports fields/playing surfaces would have been worse and in some cases they have ensured games are on.

Ps I am a cricketer and no it's not bordering on dangerous, it was 2 years ago but not now and I'll not bore with details, it's not in great shape but the cricket section do a great job rolling it as often as they can.

No matter what anyone says the facility is still one of the best in Sheffield, it's been unlucky the fact that sports invest in complete new facilities rather than developing current facilities.

I look forward to seeing you all during cricket season.

I would say that your club is no different to many clubs in South Yorkshire that rely on volunteers to basically keep the club going both on and off the pitch  (the work they do often borders on heroic).

i'll have to take your word for it regarding the pitch recently, but it was lethal the last time i played there (having to face someone's overseas opening bowler in the twlight of a midweek game!)

i used to be involved with football up there, we were once told that the groundsman had sold the roller for scrap!

That would have been the outfield roller?

No, no t the groundsman the sportsclub/manager at the time scrapped a lot of metal.

Whatever the roller was that was used to roll the football pitches at the time.  It just seemed as though they were happy to take every penny they could in renting the pitches out (even when in a poor condition) whilst spending next to nothing on the upkeep of them.

About 5/10 years back In a strategy document about sheffield football pitches I saw they still rate the pitch/ground highly. It seemed to have a plan to invest everywhere but there! For football, it seems to me the governing bodies have created super pitches at the expense of the past elite pitches and looking at parks they are now rarely used on the slopes in many parks I used to play adult 11 aside on. 

The banana pitch in Longley park (i think) was a favourite of mine

A few supporters at the match last night were chatting about worriedly but nowt actually from Sheffield Club yet.

were they worried it would be okay or against the idea just out of intrest thank you

Driving past tonight.... my thoughts. It will happen, there`s plenty of space and the Transport Ground building will be demolished....!