Harry And Megan Interview.

I’m not a Royalist and think this couple are self serving publicists. Racism and mental health are current high profile topics. Whilst ever people consume any ‘royal’ publicity media will produce it.

I'm not a monarchist, but I do recognise they do a useful job. I watched the Oprah interview from start to finish and saw no 'shocking' revelations, or 'devastating' moments, I thought it came across as reasonable and honest although I could spot misunderstandings on both sides. No doubt much will be taken out of context and used by the media to spin it, which was largely what they were complaining about. And I don't blame them for that. 

Meghan took great pains to separate the 'family' whom she said had been warm and personally welcoming, especially the Queen, from the 'firm' (which I took to mean the establishment and men in grey suits that Diana used to complain about,) and that's important, to understand the context of what they were saying, but I believe will be ignored.

A lot seemed to hang on a suitable title for Archie, but IMO Meghan didn't seem to understand that it wasn't a slight but a much heralded attempt by Charles to 'slim down the monarchy,' (which has also caused ructions with Prince Andrew incidently,) and that some titles can only be bestowed when the titles become vacant through deaths. 

They also were afraid that security was affected by this, (it has been withdrawn) leaving them vulnerable. Now that doesn't mean much to you and me, but when you are subject to a constant stream of lies, vile abuse and death threats etc, and the target of kidnappers, it must be of great concern especially living in America. There is no reason why the British taxpayer should pay for it, so they have had to pay for it themselves. They also lost all their UK income as they were not resident in UK or doing an official royal job, which seems fair enough, but means they have to generate their own income hence the netflix deal etc. What else are they supposed to do? 

Mental health had been a major issue. She didn't get the help and support she needed to cope. Meghan obviously isn't familiar with British stoicism, the stiff upper lip, putting-up-with-it and backbone, she's from touchy feely California for heavens sake where they do things differently. If she didn't get the help she needed to cope. Diana had the same problem if you remember, and Charles ignored it and accused her of being mental. Harry, bless him, learned from that mistake and took it all very seriously, helping not just Meghan but his own buttoned up issues and problems, and looks all the better for it. That's probably not very British, but is it a bad thing?

Racism was also a big issue. The royal family firm are racist - who'd have thought? An institution that thrived on Empire and Colonialism? They try, like we all try, but still do it both unconsciously and consciously, it's still a work in process. How great it would have been to have biracial Meghan as an active member of the royal family to work on that.

The royal family live in a bubble far removed from real life, they need to move with the times. If only the institution had met Meghan and Harry halfway and allowed them both a role and a degree of freedom, what a boon they would have been to the monarchy, making them relevant and more in touch with the people. After all the firm  can make it up as they go along when it suits them. Divorce has had to be accepted, Princess Margaret had a public affair with a younger man, Charles made Camilla 'unnegotiable,' Andrew lives with his ex-wife, and so on.... Surely they could have come up with something? It does seem rather peevish and unrelenting on the part of the firm to deny them a role. Once the Queen goes, will any of her subjects really care about the niceties of protocol and divine rights? Royalty will be seen as a rather special and spectacular branch of showbiz. Pretty much as it is now to most people really. They have to find a way if they want to survive.   

They seem happy t the moment, but I think Meghan and Harry can still make a come back if they can tame the gutter press and set their minds to it. Whether Meghan is prepared to return even for Royal gigs, and face them down we'll have to wait and see. 

Edited by Anna B

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'm not a monarchist, but I do recognise they do a useful job. I watched the Oprah interview from start to finish and saw no 'shocking' revelations, or 'devastating' moments, I thought it came across as reasonable and honest although I could spot misunderstandings on both sides. No doubt much will be taken out of context and used by the media to spin it, which was largely what they were complaining about. And I don't blame them for that. 

Meghan took great pains to separate the 'family' whom she said had been warm and personally welcoming, especially the Queen, from the 'firm' (which I took to mean the establishment and men in grey suits that Diana used to complain about,) and that's important, to understand the context of what they were saying, but I believe will be ignored.

A lot seemed to hang on a suitable title for Archie, but IMO Meghan didn't seem to understand that it wasn't a slight but a much heralded attempt by Charles to 'slim down the monarchy,' (which has also caused ructions with Prince Andrew incidently,) and that some titles can only be bestowed when the titles become vacant through deaths. 

They also were afraid that security was affected by this, (it has been withdrawn) leaving them vulnerable. Now that doesn't mean much to you and me, but when you are subject to a constant stream of lies, vile abuse and death threats etc, and the target of kidnappers, it must be of great concern especially living in America. There is no reason why the British taxpayer should pay for it, so they have had to pay for it themselves. They also lost all their UK income as they were not resident in UK or doing an official royal job, which seems fair enough, but means they have to generate their own income hence the netflix deal etc. What else are they supposed to do? 

I read he has 30M+ of wealth (which he alluded to in the interview). They can easily generate an income from that, if so.

Her story was eerily similar to how Diana was depicted in the Crown, so I suspect they are better off away from the Royal Family for their mental healths sake. America is perhaps a good place. At least going by comments on the news articles today the british public really hate her with a passion.

Like I just said on another forum I go on, I don't think the rank and file members of the Royal Family will thank Meghan for alluding to bullying by them which has made her have suicidal thoughts! It's history repeating itself IMO, similar stuff happened with Diana (RIP), she was forced out of the Family, including when Charles shacked up with Camilla which lead to his and Diana's divorce.

Controversy creates cash. Harry and Meghan (allegedly) need cash. The Royal Family is very unlikely to ever publicly refute the things brought up in this and other interviews, so they can say what they want and let the bridges burn behind them.

The truth will never come out. 

Well I think I must have watched a different interview if I'm to believe what's in the media today....

'Outragious!' Worst Royal Crisis in 80 years!'  'Meghan damns Royals!' etc etc 

Nothing like the impression I got. Meghan came across as a bit naive certainly, and there was obviously a problems with the two different cultures, and yes, the 'colour of the baby' was an obvious faux pas, but none of it was what I'd call really 'shocking.' 

The media seems to be the biggest problem, they really do need muzzling. When they get their teeth into someone it really is open season, and Harry has always had a problem with them because of his mother's experience. It seems they've learnt nothing and they have now frightened off 2 of the best assets the Royal family might have had. Meghan said she didn't feel protected by the firm (and she has a point,) There are laws concerning out and out libel but so much of it comes down to the nasty, unpleasant, sneering tone used. Words are weapons in their hands and they really know how to wound and do damage whist staying just the right side of the law.

They should be stopped. 

Edited by Anna B

Just watched the royalist BBC making a statement that "It's the worst Royal Crisis for 80 - 85 years"...

Can you believe that after all the problems with Princess Diana and her death only 24 years ago..

Wasn't that a crisis, it seems not to the BBC....

This Royal family can do no wrong in the eyes of Royalist Media and TV organisations. If the royal family do anything wrong the media still make them out to be saints..

It just shows what power and control the monarchy have over the Government and Media organisations..

52 minutes ago, alandrea0 said:

Just watched the royalist BBC making a statement that "It's the worst Royal Crisis for 80 - 85 years"...

Can you believe that after all the problems with Princess Diana and her death only 24 years ago..

Wasn't that a crisis, it seems not to the BBC....

This Royal family can do no wrong in the eyes of Royalist Media and TV organisations. If the royal family do anything wrong the media still make them out to be saints..

It just shows what power and control the monarchy have over the Government and Media organisations..

As Harry said, they have a covenant with the media which they use to their advantage. 'You scratch my back...' etc. Fall foul of it and you're toast, like Harry and Meghan.

Buckingham Palace even has a party every year for the 'gentlemen' and Ladies of the press, providing they haven't blotted their copy book. 

I see that little revelation hasn't made it into today's papers... 

Edited by Anna B

Saw an American broadcaster living in UK talking today about her attempts to convince the USA networks and population that we are not totally an emotional repressed and overtly racist nation and admitting she had failed. The lack of a statement from Buckingham Palace  has given more credence to this view. Good news for republicans-why should we pay for an outdated monarchy whose actions/inaction denigrates it’s citizens. The royalist argument that the royals attract tourism might just have been turned on its head

5 hours ago, catmiss said:

Saw an American broadcaster living in UK talking today about her attempts to convince the USA networks and population that we are not totally an emotional repressed and overtly racist nation and admitting she had failed. The lack of a statement from Buckingham Palace  has given more credence to this view. Good news for republicans-why should we pay for an outdated monarchy whose actions/inaction denigrates it’s citizens. The royalist argument that the royals attract tourism might just have been turned on its head

They have made a statement. It’s brief but they have made one...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/meghan-markle-prince-harry-interview-buckingham-palace-royal-family-statement/

On 05/03/2021 at 16:16, Waldo said:

No. Megan makes me want to vomit. She's total cringe and comes across as being a fake. Unnatural in her mannerisms, her false painted on smile, contrived, calculating etc. Any respect and liking I had for Harry went right out of the window when he ditched his family for her. I mean, there's clearly a rift; and the way they announced their split and Suffolk brand to the world without discussing with his own family first. What kind of a person does that? Ugh, no thank you.

I couldn't agree more.

On 05/03/2021 at 16:47, bassett one said:

also harry says its safer in america? really?,dont think so,megan just wants to be famous and have loads of cash,its rubbish to say she wants a quiet life away from the press.

Anyone who likes a quiet life and enjoys their privacy doesn't go into TV & Movies and then marry a Royal Prince.

She may be an actress but she doesn't fool me.

What a self seeking waste of space. Glad she's in America but surprised at Harry.