Developments In Sheffield

31 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

All good to see. The Pounds Park looks like a good development, green space to link the city together.

Is it known how much it will cost to maintain ? keep it green and safe for kids to use ? ( removing rubbish left by street drinkers and drug addicts, protecting it from vandalism )

Is it known how much potential trade it will add to local businesses who are already on their knees financially ?

Is it known how much potential trade will be lost due to closing a busy car park that requries minimal maintenance and actually earns money ?

1 hour ago, BadgerBodge said:

Is it known how much it will cost to maintain ? keep it green and safe for kids to use ? ( removing rubbish left by street drinkers and drug addicts, protecting it from vandalism )

Is it known how much potential trade it will add to local businesses who are already on their knees financially ?

Is it known how much potential trade will be lost due to closing a busy car park that requries minimal maintenance and actually earns money ?

Not a clue, but I'm happy for my taxes to spent on its upkeep.

Not a clue, but generally improvements to the public realm attract people, which means money.

What are the annual earnings of that car park? There are plenty of parking spaces in Sheffield, in fact theres a multistorey car park bang opposite. Are you suggesting that we should retain an unattractive space, and a very inefficient use of real estate rather that allowing investment and improvements?

2 hours ago, BadgerBodge said:

How can any of this be known?

Seems like a good development to me, for a part of the city centre I use. 

18 hours ago, DirtyHerbert said:

How can any of this be known?

Seems like a good development to me, for a part of the city centre I use. 

I'd hope those proposing this development have done the maths and investigated these factors.

If it goes ahead let's hope the council can afford to keep it maintained and it doesn't end up another "Pinball park".

Sheffield needs a big idea to attract people to Sheffield. The Council don't have a very good record on this - 'National Music Centre' for example.

Anyone got any ideas for what they'd like to see that would attract people into the city centre, or anywhere else in Sheffield?

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

Sheffield needs a big idea to attract people to Sheffield. The Council don't have a very good record on this - 'National Music Centre' for example.

Anyone got any ideas for what they'd like to see that would attract people into the city centre, or anywhere else in Sheffield?

Why does it need a big idea? A city centre thats a nice vibrant place to be, green space, cafes, bars, restaurants and cultural offerings will bring people. Great theater, great exhibitions at the local museums etc.

Don't see the need for a big idea. I can't think of another UK city I would visit for a big attraction other than London. Even then, I would gravitate towards small museums, eating and drinking and mooching in parks rather than trawling around the Tower of London.

That's just my opinion of course.

Edited by Bargepole23

Poor planning, punitive parking regulations, Julie Dore, Amey contractors and their Rosendale / Martson Bailiff interests have all decimated Sheffield. 

An idea I've pinched from facebook.

Poster on fb suggests that Sheffield's rivers could be uncovered and used as a focus for leisure/tourism and entertainment, especially in the city centre. 

I believe there are plans afoot to 'green' the area around Ladies Bridge and Castlegate, and use the river there as a feature, which is the sort of thing I mean, but we have a lot of rivers in Sheffield which could also be enhanced.

Edited by Anna B

On 06/03/2021 at 14:01, 26b-6 said:

punitive parking regulations

You mean like the ones they have in every city and town in the UK? 

4 hours ago, Planner1 said:

You mean like the ones they have in every city and town in the UK? 

Those ones. The ones that stop every parking space being taken up all day by people working in town, rather than visiting to shop. A fact which those who complain about paying for parking seem blind to. They are, of course  happy to lose thousands each year in depreciation on their cars, plus the running costs, but a few quid in parking costs blows their mind.

Please don’t turn this into yet another thread about city centre parking.

Thank you.