Jump to content


Why Is Albert Terrace Road Off Infirmary Road Closed

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, feargal said:

Not really, we don't know why it collapsed. No point just filling it in, if there's an ongoing problem. 

Well if they don't know why it collapsed they should at least be investigating, I go past most days and haven't seen anyone around it or looking at it just shut the road and leave it !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I can shed a bit of light on this.

 

On Friday 30th April I phoned the council and asked them why it’s takng so long to get the road repaired, I pointed out that large articulated vehicles are been forced to negotiate two tight 90 degrees turns amongst a street full of parked cars and it’s dangerous.

 

After being put on hold for ages whilst they consulted Amey they finally came back and said it’s a sewer collapse and they’re waiting for Yorkshire Water to ‘do their bit.’

 

Phoned Yorkshire Water - put on hold for ages again - they’d checked their notes and it turns out that YW had ‘done their bit’ and there was no reason why the road couldn’t be repaired.

 

Contacted the council back and informed them what I’d learnt, they thanked me and said they will ‘put a chitty  through to the highways dept’ to get the road repaired.

 

Fingers crossed, we may see some action next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure customers of the Infirmary Road Tesco will be complaining about this in droves as it's literally the main road into their car park.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds normal for SCC/Amey (lack of) co-ordination with utility concerns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

I'm sure customers of the Infirmary Road Tesco will be complaining about this in droves as it's literally the main road into their car park.

 

No it is not it is no entry it is those leaving tesco towards Penistone road who are effected

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The signage for the diversion coming from the Langsett Road direction really isn't great.  The sign appears to point down a no entry road. Almost turned down there myself and have seen several others do the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hardly new thing that signage is poor in Sheffield. I have seen so many ill thought out examples that I think there is a special team there working out how to make life more difficult for motorists.

 

One of the worst was clear signs directing traffic right because the road ahead was closed when lo and behold the road you were being directed onto was closed and there were no road works on the road ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/05/2021 at 18:38, JayneRay said:

OK, I can shed a bit of light on this.

 

On Friday 30th April I phoned the council and asked them why it’s takng so long to get the road repaired, I pointed out that large articulated vehicles are been forced to negotiate two tight 90 degrees turns amongst a street full of parked cars and it’s dangerous.

 

After being put on hold for ages whilst they consulted Amey they finally came back and said it’s a sewer collapse and they’re waiting for Yorkshire Water to ‘do their bit.’

 

Phoned Yorkshire Water - put on hold for ages again - they’d checked their notes and it turns out that YW had ‘done their bit’ and there was no reason why the road couldn’t be repaired.

 

Contacted the council back and informed them what I’d learnt, they thanked me and said they will ‘put a chitty  through to the highways dept’ to get the road repaired.

 

Fingers crossed, we may see some action next week.

Yes we did see some action. Someone did some digging and left a pile of mud (and presumably a hole) and then nothing for the last couple of weeks since. Still no one has thought to change the lights to allow Traffic to proceed along Infirmary road towards town without unnecessary red lights a

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Firstly it's been since just after xmas 2020 this small stretch has been closed, I pass it almost daily and various times and have not seen a single person working or even inspecting, 

the traffic lights in question are just above as you leave Tesco headed towards penistone road, atop Albert terrace.

the Same insanity is the traffic lights exiting Tesco on spital hill, no cars allowed into Tesco top car park (another piece of fantastic management) yet traffic is stopped on occasion for absolutely no reason. 

Ive noticed recently Amey and SCC open up road works, put up diversions and/or temporary traffic lights, then ignore them for several days or even weeks before popping back and finishing said works in an hour or less and then opening traffic again. 

My question is why don't they just do the works all in a single day, and avoid annoying locals and passing motorists. 

Edited by MunXy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MunXy said:

My question is why don't they just do the works all in a single day, and avoid annoying locals and passing motorists. 

possibly because they do not care about them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2021 at 18:01, Bigal1 said:

Still no one has thought to change the lights to allow Traffic to proceed along Infirmary road towards town without unnecessary red lights a

 

In general, it isn’t usually practical to change the way a permanent set of signals works in order to accommodate a temporary closure/ roadworks situation. The stage sequences they can follow are embedded into the programming of the signal controller, so a new configuration would have to be designed, tested, installed , checked and commissioned. This takes time and costs quite a bit. And of course at the end of the works, the original configuration has to be reinstalled, commissioned and checked.
 

Usually the practical choices are to keep the existing signals running as before and put up with the changed situation (if possible and safe), or switch the existing signals off and install temporary ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

In general, it isn’t usually practical to change the way a permanent set of signals works in order to accommodate a temporary closure/ roadworks situation. The stage sequences they can follow are embedded into the programming of the signal controller, so a new configuration would have to be designed, tested, installed , checked and commissioned. This takes time and costs quite a bit. And of course at the end of the works, the original configuration has to be reinstalled, commissioned and checked.
 

Usually the practical choices are to keep the existing signals running as before and put up with the changed situation (if possible and safe), or switch the existing signals off and install temporary ones.

so much for  Intelligent traffic management

 

5 months is not exactly temporary just another demonstration by he council that they are all against pollution unless of course it involves them doing something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.