The family of well-known cutler Stan Shaw BEM said he had passed away with his wife of 66 years, Rosemary, holding his hand. 

They said: “We are devastated to say that yesterday morning Sheffield lost one of its finest craftsmen. We are proud to call him our dad, grandad and husband. 

"Who else could work right up until his 93rd birthday, making knives for the Queen and Elvis, to name a few.

What a lovely and humble man Stan was. Kelham Island was on my beat a few years ago and I used to pop in at see him in his workshop every week or so. An absolute Sheffield legend. RIP Little Mester 

Edited by nikki-red

Don't make em like that anymore.

R.I.P.  Stan.

You are right Padders, an absolute legend. RIP Stan. Can anyone follow in his footsteps.

4 minutes ago, hillgirl said:

You are right Padders, an absolute legend. RIP Stan. Can anyone follow in his footsteps.

I hope that someone can though clearly could not be another Mr Shaw. As an ex toolmaker in the cutlery sector (1970s) & seeing him at work in Kelham since, it rekindled my interest & wondered if he wanted an (aged) apprentice. Watched him a little more which made up my mind that to have such a range of skills was just about unique and would need a lifetime apprenticeship! Rest in peace.

1 hour ago, hillgirl said:

He was good.

Quite a few good knife makers in the UK, but I'm struggling to think of any major companies churning out any kind of volume.  Michael May makes them https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gallery/2016/nov/02/revival-of-the-little-mesters-a-sheffield-pocket-knife-maker-in-pictures

Shingcrafts make some beautiful knives over the border in Derbyshire but are priced accordingly.

A proper craftsmen the like of which is hard to find these days RIP Stan a true legend .